All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Starving!
      #25529 - 11/04/03 05:32 PM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

Im currently tryng to break the cycle of IBS attacks, so am trying to stick to things like white bread, noodles, potatoes etc. Only prob is i am starving all the time and am eating HUGE quantities. I have been so used to eating lots of protein especially meat and fish which fill you up and also whole grains/wholemeal bread etc which is certainly more filling than white. has anyone else experienced these hunger pangs?!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Starving! new
      #25533 - 11/04/03 06:26 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

Hey Kat,
Actually the hungerness (if thats a word lol) is the reason why I was looking for more protein ideas earlier. I find that i'm having to eat every couple hours and even after large amounts of food i still get hungry soon after. Mor protein in my diet will hopefully get me lasting longer on what i eat. Sorry i don't have any advice for you as i'm kind of in the same sort of situation. Hope you feel better soon!

#25537 - 11/04/03 06:39 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Once you break the cycle you will beable to eat more filling food. Try eating a bowl of applesauce. Make sure you are getting enough water durning the day too. Water can fill you up.
I also found I ate more food in the beginning, because I didn't get sick as much after eating. When your tummy is feeling good and the hunger pains hit the natural thing to do is eat.
Good luck on breaking the cycle and hopefully you can more food soon.

#25545 - 11/04/03 09:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - try adding some skinless chicken breasts or white fish for protein. Tuna is a good bet, as are egg whites. Add soy slowly and see how you do with that as well.

Remember, breaking the cycle is just for a few days, until you stabilize. Then you need to gradually expand your diet so you're carefully incorporating insoluble fiber foods and small amounts of heart-healthy fats as well. This will help keep you full longer. Try baking things like the zucchini or pumpkin breads to get started.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25550 - 11/04/03 11:43 PM
katgirl

Baking things is impossible - since Im at Uni i have a choice of eating the meals they provide, which is usually some kind of meat in some stew/sauce (very difficult to tell what is in it and often upsets my stomach) or i have to resort to making myself sandwiches or occasionally microvae some rice - at home i would be eating loads more protein but its virtually impossible to get plain skinless chikcne breasts or fish here (dont think they even know the meaning of the word fish!) i have been trying to break the cycle for the last few days, but i always end up over-eating or eating too much of the wrong foods. I really am stuck in a rut!

#25552 - 11/04/03 11:50 PM
katgirl

applesauce as in the stuff you usually eat for christmas dinners with pork?! because that's the only applesauce i know over here in england and i certainly couldnt sit down and eat a bowl of it!

#25569 - 11/05/03 07:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If you have a small fridge in your room you can but chicken already cooked and ready to eat, I always keep a bad in my fridge at home! I buy it at a regular grocery store here in the US called Krogers, not sure whats available where you are though! You can also buy chicken in cans, like tuna!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#25590 - 11/05/03 09:48 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Applesauce in America is cooked apples and than puree (almost like babyfood). I buy the stuff without sugar added to it.
Check the IBS recipe list - there should be a homemade recipe for applesauce.
Good luck!

#25603 - 11/05/03 10:14 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Why don't you try nuts and peanut butter? Some people are sensetive to this, personally I eat peanut butter everyday and am fine with it. Do you have a microwave in your room? If so you can buy frozen things that just need to be reheated, like soy burgers or meat. You could try lentil soup.

--------------------
IBS-C

#25648 - 11/05/03 11:33 AM
katgirl

Yeah i do have a really small fridge in my room, but it isnt the greatest for storing meat or anything perishable. I tried putting some ham and turkey in the main fridge the other week and some b*gger stole it all - so thats the last time i'll be doing that tho! am going for a shop tomorrow and will buy some ready cooked chicken breasts and some fish - mackerels safe isnt it? also if i get some rice or pasta i can stick that in the microwave and hey presto i have a meal! about the peanut butter - its what ive basically been living on for the last couple of weeks, but im trying to vary my diet a little and see if it helps my symptoms. cereal and peanut butter sandwiches do not make for a good diet for a fortnight continuously!!

#25655 - 11/05/03 11:49 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I know what you mean about being stuck in a rut!! I was so far in the only the top of my head was sticking out. Then along came Heather and pulled me out.

I would suggest the following things:

First of all: Remind yourself that you HAVE to change your diet...no matter how much of a bother it may seem...how is being "sick" all the time...I had to finally come to realize that one!

Second: Do you live far from home? Maybe you could cook up some food for the week and then take it back to your room for eating during the week.

I would suggest getting a small fridge or something like that. Also - if you bake the breads and then take them to University during the week - they will last for a week in a cooler.

Also - be sure to stick to 5 meals a day. Small ones. Have breakfast of oatmeal. Snack of the breads. Then lunch of a tuna sandwich and some pretzels or whatever. Snack of breads. Supper of chicken breasts and potatoes or noodles or whatever.

Try to keep in simple and things you can make with boiling water or by heating up in lobby microwaves or better yet just keep in tupperware containers.

Good luck.

I hope this helps,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#25656 - 11/05/03 11:50 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

You should get a lock on your fridge - there is no reason someone should be stealing your food - if it happens again - I would report it!

Don't stand for that!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#25657 - 11/05/03 11:51 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Ooh you can get a rice cooker if you don't already have one! Those are great for dorm rooms.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#25672 - 11/05/03 01:24 PM
katgirl

I have my own mini-fridge but the fridge in the kitchen of my block is shared between everyone, so i cant put a lock on that! i'll just try keeping a bit of chicken in my own fridge and buy it regularly so it doesnt go off! i wont be oing home until term ends so thats not an option to make food and bring it up, but i will def try eating some tuna/chicken with potatoes/rice/pasta this week. i'll let you know how it goes.

#25684 - 11/05/03 03:59 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Kat,
Try oatmeal in the micro. Only takes 2 mins. I'm talking abt the 1 that comes in a big paper cannister like Quaker Oats. There are also the instant that you just add boiled water to......but I think they r yucky!!!!

Oatmeal is a REAL good source of fiber too.... I eat it EVERY other day to help not to get D and am sure it helps!!!!! With just plain sugar, but u cud put brown sug, honey, etc. on it. Try rice or soy milk too. Delish........! U can get rice or soy cheeses and cr. cheese by the way. Oh......there r soy soups in the cartons by the makers of rice dream milk, if u can eat soy. It something likd www.imaginefoods.com. Tells where these are available.

Chicken nood soup in the can w/alot of instant rice or noodles is good too.........! Progresso or Campbells we have here. Progresso is best......more hearty.

Look for the milkshake recipe.......it's 1 c rice or soy milk, 1 cup ice crushed, 1/2 banana preferably frozen and a bit of honey and think i tablespoon vanilla. Not certain how much honey.....think 1/2 to 1 T. again. This is also delicious......! (I just tried to c & p it to you, but these inged and amts are correct. U can add 1 tablespoon baking chocolate powder if u can have it......or when feeling better. Put all in a blender. I think u cud just use cold milk and use a WHOLE frozen banana 2 make it thicker!

Rice cakes.......they come in different flavors . Apple/cinnamon, etc.

Baked potatos are fast in the micro.

Toast w/a bit of honey or jam or peanut butter if u can't have any margarine. Can put same on rice cakes! I c they come in all flavors!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!! Let me know!!!!!!!

PS Do a search for snacks and c what u find. Tess's recipe for milkshake is under Recipes. At least I think so.

OHHHHHHH..........sandwiches w/sliced turkey or chicken.

Marnie

Edited by marnie (11/05/03 04:11 PM)

#25712 - 11/05/03 07:16 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I find that sourdough or french bread are quite filling on their own. Have you tried either of these?

Louise,,, new
      #25733 - 11/06/03 06:42 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

although sourdough and French breads may "fill you up," they are full of carbohydrates and sugar and will make you even hungrier shortly thereafter. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Re: Starving! some ideas which i hope might help you.... new
      #25740 - 11/06/03 07:54 AM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Hi Katgirl -
My daughter is in college here in Oregon, first year. We just found this site about 3 weeks ago and she has been helped enormously by Heather's diet and other suggestions. I wrote you a long post the other day -- before i finished it -- somehow it got erased! grrrr ... i just couldn't do it over at the time !!

She is eating instant oatmeal in her room every morning and that is helping alot. As she feels more stabilized, she has added a few things to the oatmeal like almonds and ground flax seed for insoluble fiber (but don't do that at first). What has helped her the most (she is C) is taking the soluble fiber supplements. She has worked her way up to 12 grams in 3 weeks and that is really really helping everything. She also drinks a ton of water with it --a habit she has always had which is very unusual - but drinking alot of water is absolutely crucial to get the benefit of the fiber caps. 16 cups a day if you can do it !!! Write it down and keep track of it..... She always always carries it with her. This may sound odd -- but drinking lukewarm water (when she's in her room) is very comforting and helpful to her too. Also she has peppermint tea every night and she is taking Heather's peppermint capsules. They have a "hot pot" in their room which makes hot water. Also I have been sending her dry soups that you just add hot water to and they are pretty filling -- do you have them there? You have to be careful which ones you get, of course.......Are you doing the fiber supplements? She takes them before each meal, which is an added "safety" factor.

Have you read Heather's website thoroughly and gotten educated about all the stuff? Especially soluble and insoluble fiber and how that all works and also about soluble fiber supplements? You probably don't have time for this - and i don't know if you can get it there -- but Heather's book -- "The first year of IBS" (or something like that) is really really excellent -- also for your morale, it has alot of people's experiences. My daughter has had alot of angst over this and also how hard it is to explain to anyone or deal with socially. She has chosen to miss an event (a retreat with a club she is in on the Oregon coast) this weekend that she really wants to go to because she just needs a break from dealing with the food issues -- and just needs to get stabilized. Hopefully -- in time -- she will get these retreat type events figured out (she had a very bad experience with food at one and is scared about it -- that was before Heather's diet and she was just avoiding wheat) -- they are the hardest - where they only serve one kind of food. Avoiding wheat makes it even harder -- and she is a person who hates to draw attention to herself -- so having to bring her own food -- or ask for something special is very very painful for her. She seems to be managing quite well on campus though -- by supplementing in her room and also the cafeteria almost always has rice and chicken. And she went away for a 3 day weekend with some friends recently (stayed at one of the girls' houses) and we were all thrilled at how easy it was for her to stick to the diet and that she felt well and could enjoy herself -- this was such a gift after so many bad off-campus experiences!

Could you talk to your food people at school there and maybe ask them if they could accomodate you that way and carry those things (rice and chicken) regularly?? i know the food services here will do things like that. I have sent her alot of stuff in the mail to help supplement -- she is near a supermarket but far from a health food store. I also send her the fiber supplements in the mail. Maybe your parents could do that?? I send her little cartons of soy milk which agree with her quite well (but she has been drinking that all her life) -- i think it is usually ok for IBS people unless they have trouble with beans, and then taking
"beano" at the same (a digestive enzyme - don't know if you have it there) can help. If soy milk doesn't work for you, try rice milk, if you have it there. She puts the soy milk in her oatmeal and that makes it a complete protein and much more filling. She has had trouble with being hungry all through the 9 months of problems (i'm not sure about now) and losing weight has been a problem - when she gets very C, she can't eat much -- but i think this is much better now with Heather's diet. The little soy milks are great to take with her for snacks, which she really needs sometimes, and rice cakes are good for that and in her dorm room too.

Maybe i could send you a package of stuff if you can't get these things there!!! I can always use another "girl" to mother ! (she's our only child) ( i know you all aren't girls and children anymore -- but we parents probably always think of you that way a little bit -- even when you get to be 50 !!)....... Let me know how I can help...... Sorry this is soooooo long !!!!

Re: Starving! one more idea for you....... new
      #25744 - 11/06/03 08:16 AM
barb n

Hi Katgirl --- I don't know how to give you this link -- like some people do -- but i just went back and looked for this post -- it is now on Page 15 of this message board. I posted a message called "Still trying to help my suffering college girl - please help" -- something like that -- and got lots of good answers you may want to read -- and I would especially take a look at the reply from "Kiks" which says "Another college girl - wants to help" which is very very helpful. Hope you get some good info from these ideas. Let us know how you are doing. -- Barb

Re: Starving! one more idea for you....... new
      #25748 - 11/06/03 08:39 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Here is the link to Barb's thread: web page

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Louise,,, new
      #25824 - 11/06/03 11:12 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Well, they're high in complex carbs, which is what your body needs for fuel, and they shouldn't have any sugar at all. But carbs are the easiest thing for your body to digest, so they'll digest more quickly than fats and proteins. The carbs and soluble fiber are temporarily filling, but you need some fat and proteins for longer-term satiety. Otherwise you'll quickly fill up, but be hungry again pretty shortly.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25837 - 11/06/03 12:39 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

When I was in the Sugarbusters diet (years ago), white bread and sourdough were no-no's because they said it was full of sugar. I was told the same thing when I joined Weight Watchers----that white bread would just make you hungrier. Is it not high in sugar, Heather?

Re: Starving!...wholemeal bread? new
      #25851 - 11/06/03 02:02 PM
katgirl

Is wholemeal bread ok? I used to eat it lots but since finding this ite ive changed to white bread...but white bread doesn't fill me up and i can easily eat loads of it and still be hungry an hour or two later. I know that its best to avoid whole wheat, whole grains etc, but surely a little bit of wholemeal is ok?

#25858 - 11/06/03 04:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - the only ingredients in white breads should be wheat flour, water, salt and yeast. The only difference with the ingredients in whole wheat bread is that the flour will be whole wheat, not refined wheat, so it will have the wheat bran and the wheat germ. Refining the flour doesn't somehow add sugar, it just removes the insoluble fiber (and the nutrients in the germ and bran). There should be no added sugar in your breads. Sugar is a simple carbohydrate. Flour is a complex carbohydrate, not a simple sugar. Sugar Busters I really don't give much credit to at all. Weight Watchers I do think is overall a very good diet/living plan, but if they're telling you that white breads are high in sugar they're just plain wrong about that.

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Could this be a confusion of terms? new
      #25896 - 11/06/03 11:11 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I've noticed that on bread packaging where they list the fat content etc underneath the carbohydrate listing sugras is listed as like a sub heading.

eg Carbohydrates 28.8g
- sugars 2.3g

I've noticed my rye bread packaging lists the amount of 'sugars' as less than the amount listed on the white bread packaging.

Could this be where the confusion is? I must admit I'm a bit confused too.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Starving! some ideas which i hope might help you.... new
      #25899 - 11/07/03 02:20 AM
katgirl

Hey barb n
thanx for your long post - i appreciate it. I followed the link you gave and read the posts on there and found some useful information. Sorry that you daughter is going through the same thing - i know how concerned you must be, cus the past 6 months has sent my mum into a ton of worry - only yesterday she phones me really worried about how i am coping, so i know how hard this can be for closest family members as well as for the people who are suffering from IBS themselves. Some of the suggestions you made I am already following for instance I drink a lot of water, have done for ages, Ive started to drink lots of peppermint tea and Ive ordered some soluble fibre supplements off this website, plus more tea and the acacia so hopefully those should arrive next week sometime (depending on what's happening with the post strike!)At the moment Im taking movicol - which is basically a strong laxative to try and get my bowels moving again - its only a short-term prescription my doctor gave me, but i had a b/m for the first time in a week yday so hopefully that might just provide some light relief. I know its not a long-term solution and as soon as the soluble fibre supplements arrive i'll start taking them. I also realise that maybe my condition has got worse because the last week I probably cut out too much insoluble fibre and ate too much soluble fibre. I made myself some chicken and rice yesterday, which not only tastes far better than college food, but actually filled me up since the insoluble fibre with white bread etc isn't that filling. My collee food is really worth avoiding - lunch is ok where i can grab a baked potato or a baguette, but dinner is just pure yuck! It's impossible to work out what they put in the stews or whatever they describe it as - usually some form of red meat which im trying to avoid anyways, so im going to start making my own dinner most nights - im off to buy a new mini-fridge next weekend, as the one i've got at the moment doesn't work that great!.

thanx for your offer of sending things over - i really appreciate it, tho i do have a supermarket near by and my parents are coming up next weekend so we're going on a big shop and stocking my room up with enough food so that i always have something safe to eat if i need something.

i also read that your duaghter had acupuncture? I had a few sessions back home, but havent had any since coming to Uni. I though that they were benficial and i might see if there's someone near me here who does acupuncuture. Is your daughter still having acupuncture now?

also you mentioned that you thought your daughter might be wheat intolerant? Or is it just the IBS? Im going through every food trying to find out which ones work well for me and which ones don't - at the moment, everything I seem to eat leaves me feeling bloated, achey and tired, but I'll get there eventually. I've spent months trying to work IBS out and try and mimimise the symptoms as much as possible. I am still confident that one day everything will click into place and I'll be able to return to my relatively normal self - this board has really helped, both heathers advice and all the posts - it's really comforting to read that im not the only person who feels like this and also that there are many people of a similar age. Tell your daughter that if she ever wants to chat to anyone who's going through the same thing, then she's more than welcome to email me. Thanx for your advice, I'll keep you updated and let you know how things are going - Kat x

Re: Starving!...wholemeal bread? new
      #25900 - 11/07/03 02:52 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

If you ever make your own breads from Heather's recipes, I find it makes them more filling if I use flax seed meal in them, it has "good" fat and is used in replacement of oil (but can only replace about half the oil as it doesn't make it quite as moist). Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#25916 - 11/07/03 07:28 AM
michele

I have been doing some research on line in regards to carbs and sugar. I have been stuggling to lose weight even though I work out 6 days a week. This is MY interpation of my reading....

The more refined the carbs in a food are the more insulin your body produces to digest it. Its after this spike in insulin wears off that you feel hungry again. Thats why wheat bread seems more filling than white bread. It also has something to do with the insoluble fiber in the whole grains and wheat, it helps stablize that insulin spike. I know that kinda goes against what Heather says is good for IBS. I am prone to constipation and may body seems to tolerate a lot more insoluble fiber than a lot of others with IBS. I just started to try and reduce my "white carbs" the last couple of days so I will keep report in a few weeks how I am feeling. I am in no way supporting the atkins diet(I did that a few years ago and felt HORRIBLE!) I am simply trying to reduce the refined carbs and eat more protein.

--------------------

Re: Louise: Carbohydrates & Sugar new
      #25925 - 11/07/03 08:42 AM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hey Everyone,

Maybe this will help clear up your confusion:

1) Carbohydrates when consumed are broken down into glucose, a simple blood sugar that's transported throughout the body.

(So, although there is no sugar listed as an ingredient in the bread, complex carbs, which bread is made of, are broken down into a sugar so that the body can use it for fuel)

2) THE 3 FACES of CARBOHYDRATES:

Dietary carbohydrates come in three sizes: simple, compound, and
complex. Simple carbohydrates include table sugar. Compound carbohydrates are the fruit sugars. Complex carbohydrates are starches of vegetables and grains.

It is important to recognize that for your body to burn a potato for energy, the complex carbohydrates must be totally broken down to the simple sugars of which it is basically made. In a sense, therefore, a potato or piece of bread ultimately becomes sugar before it is used. But before this bread or potato is burned, it takes a while for the body to break down the complex structure of its molecules; conversely, simple sugars can enter your cells in a rush and flood the cells' machinery with a sugar push. (Sugar pushes are not so great for the body as you then ultimately crash!)

3) COMPLEX CARBS: Formed when multiple simple sugars combine, these carbs should constitute the greatest percentage of your daily carb intake. The complex bonds make them ideal for prolonged energy demands, such as during a workout, due to their slow digestive process and the muscle's requirement for carbohydrates as its primary fuel source. They include starches (how plants store their energy, such as in breads, pasta, rice, legumes and tubers), fiber (complex carbs that aren't digested but are important for health) and glycogen (when you eat red meat, for example, you're getting stored sugar in the form of glycogen).

4) SIMPLE CARBS: Simple sugars, which don't need to be broken down, are best consumed post-exercise to quickly replace spent energy sources. They include glucose (simple sugar, the end product of all carb breakdown), sucrose (common table sugar), fructose (fruit), galactose
(milk) and maltose (malt sugar).

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Whole grains new
      #25933 - 11/07/03 09:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The insoluble fibre in whole grain foods makes them harder to digest (as we know!) which means they take LONGER to digest. This is why you don't get the high/low scenario you get with sugar.

Btw, calling sugars "refined" is a misnomer. Fructose is a sugar and this occurs naturally in fruit. Sucrose occurs naturally in sugar cane/beet. Glucose is the form of energy our bodies digest and is what is usually in energy drinks.

The refinement occurs with white flour and rice, when the husks of the grain/rice is removed, making it "white". This isn't neccessarily bad, it's just removing the insoluble fibre.

With carbohydrates, it's their length that counts. Glucose is a 1-bit carb. Fructose and Sucrose are 2-bit carbs. The carbs in pasta, rice, etc are long-chain carbs. All carbohydrates are broken down into their (1-bit) components in order for the body to digest them.

Hope this helps! I don't like people thinking that "sugars" are just plain bad!

Linz

Re: Louise: Carbohydrates & Sugar new
      #25937 - 11/07/03 09:22 AM
michele

Thanks, that was a great explanation! So am I correct in thinking that if I eat a hamburger bun that is whole wheat and one that is regular white, even if the fat and calories are listed to be the same in each, ultimatly the white bun will make me gain more weight?? I realize that may not be the best for IBS, strictly talking weight gain here.

--------------------

#25959 - 11/07/03 10:06 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

these breads are what you suggest in the book under stabilizing attacks, or similar topic, but I always have protein with it anyways. I would not be able to survive on plain white bread, either.

This is a good suggestion! Easier on the tummy than whole wheat. -nt- new
      #26070 - 11/07/03 12:47 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Thank you - good info! -nt- new
      #26071 - 11/07/03 12:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Thank you Karen! -nt- new
      #26072 - 11/07/03 12:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Nope - what matters is the calories new
      #26073 - 11/07/03 12:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

If the number of calories in both buns is equal, you're no more likely to gain weight from the white bun than the whole wheat. If you burn more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight. If you eat more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight. Doesn't matter where/when/how those calories come from.

The catch here is that the whole wheat bun would fill you up for a longer period of time than the white bun because of the insoluble fiber, so you're less likely to keep eating more food. But the insoluble fiber could trigger IBS symptoms. So, it's a matter of finding a balance between a good soluble fiber base for your IBS, and incorporating as much insoluble fiber (from all sources - maybe whole wheat is intolerable for you, but brown rice or cooked veggies aren't) as you can while keeping your gut stable.

You can also eliminate refined sugars from your diet completely (candy, desserts, white/brown sugars in recipes, corn syrup, etc.) You don't need them for anything.

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Starving! ..........replying to you Katgirl.......about acupuncture new
      #26118 - 11/07/03 04:09 PM
barb n

Thanks for your post back. I want to reply to some of the things you said more fully soon -- i am a bit rushed just now -- but i wanted to tell you that my daughter has gotten alot of help from doing acupuncture. In fact, we thought it was the cure for what was wrong with her for a long time. But she kept having "setbacks" and so we decided it wasn't the whole picture. But when she originally got sick, 8 months ago -- acupuncture was the only thing that got her back on track and helped her to function normally. It also has been really good for helping to calm her anxieties. She has a tendency to sort of "freeze up" -- sometimes it will be her digestion and sometimes her bowels. The acupuncture seems to always sort of "get her going". She has been getting it almost weekly for about 7 months. We found a person near her college and that has been helping her alot -- but the addition of Heather's diet and the soluble fiber supplement has so far kept her from having setbacks which were starting to get quite frequent suddenly about a month ago (even with acupuncture) -- mostly it was very bad C.

Also - i wanted to tell you that i think a laxative as a very temporary measure is ok, and important to get that stuff out! -- my daughter was using an herbal laxative tea -- but she could tell it sort of wrenched her insides -- and of course you can get dependent on them to go at all, so she tried not to use it much. She has been able to get off of the laxative tea now because of the fiber supplements....so i hope they will work as well for you. If you still are having a post (mail) strike, maybe you could pick up some fiber supplements at the pharmacy, and get started right away. Its ok to mix and match different brands and forms (caps and powder) but just observe how you react to each kind. I don't know what is available there, but here in the U.S., you can get fiber supplements at a pharmacy that carries over the counter medications.

I think my daughter might really like to email with you and the other college student who offered -- i will talk with her about it when she is home for a few days at Thanksgiving. She is so busy right now, and we have to communicate alot about her health -- i haven't mentioned it yet. I want to show her how to use the message board and stuff (she is a little computer retarded - like me -- but i just have to show it to her)... But -- it has been really hard for her to not have any friends who really understand what is going on with her and i know she feels like she is in hiding sort of. So I think it would be great to share that with someone else. I'll let you know about that soon. Good luck and i will write you more soon.

Re: Starving! more on fiber supplements new
      #26133 - 11/07/03 07:05 PM
barb n

Hi ~ I want to give you my email address as i have more to tell you about (the wheat issue) but my posts tend to be quite long, as you can see, and I don't know that all my blah blah blah is all that helpful to others on the message board ! I did write you a post a bit earlier today about acupuncture which could possibly be helpful to others - i don't know if you saw it.....

One more thing i thought of about fiber supplements for you -- Heather's supplement (which i just ordered also!) is powder and i do think for you all in college its a good idea to have both powder and capsules and interchange them, whichever is most convenient. My daughter has used the capsules alot, before each meal -- and is just starting to use the powder now. The caps are good when you are out, more convenient -- so i think you should try to get some caps also. The powder is nice because its less cumbersome --- the caps get to be alot of pills to take (when you are up to full dose - you are taking 24 a day!) So they each have their advantages. Maybe message board people in England could tell you where to find them and which brands are there, she is using Fibercon and it has really worked well for her.... Two more things for you to know about starting to take the fiber supplements (sorry if you already know these) -- start at a low dosage (like 3 grams a day) and gradually increase it until you are taking 10 - 12 grams a day, over about 3-4 weeks. And, at first, while you are still trying to stabilize - spread your usage out over the day - then, as you are better, you can use it just morning and night. Also, it is ok to take it with meals or in between -- but taking it before a meal is a safety factor because it puts some soluble fiber in your tummy to start a meal. I would suggest doing that while you are still shaky. Why don't you email me and i will tell you about the wheat issue and my daughter, in case that would be helpful for you. My address is gnelson@cruzio.com --Barb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12778

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review