All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does anyone think altitude can affect IBS?
      #255072 - 03/28/06 07:29 PM
Kat32

Reged: 11/09/05
Loc: Denver, Colorado

I've lived in Colorado for almost five years now and it seems that I became more gassy when I moved out here. It's hard to remember...maybe I was always gassy when I lived in Minnesota too, but I know then I suffered more from D, probably because I didn't handle my stress/anxiety very well. But still, it's just been a thought more recently for me that maybe altitude does affect IBS because I just returned from a visit to MN where I was stable almost the entire time, even eating some things that aren't considered to be IBS safe. Of course I was very relaxed because I was staying at my parents place and I wasn't working...not really doing much of anything. (Sometimes I really wish we didn't have to work because I think that would really help my IBS ) Just kidding, kind of...

I know Heather has said that you should live where you feel the best, but I was just curious if anyone had thoughts about what altitude can do to IBS. Let me know if you do!

Peace,

Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone think altitude can affect IBS? new
      #368305 - 10/15/12 09:06 AM
Treellock

Reged: 10/15/12

Hi I know you posted this years ago, but in case your still able to get this I'd love to see if you had any conclusions. I'm in similar boat! I moved to Boulder almost 2 years ago and since moving here my health has taken a turn for the worse. My D is way worse. I'm working with a natropath doctor and even did hypnosis with someone who specialized in ibs. It's gotten better, but not good. I'm from WI and when I go back there I don't have much D. I wondered the same exact thing.. Am I just more relaxed? But I'm really curious to know if the oxygen or the lack of red blood cells or something makes a difference. Anyhow.. If your still out there I'd love to chat.

#372458 - 09/09/15 05:18 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I haven't been on here in awhile. ..I got my IBS pretty much under control 3 years ago with the low fodmap diet. I'm on vacation this week in Colorado City, and have been flaring like crazy the last 3 days (the rare flares I've had the last few years were easily traced to a particular food or stress, and never last more than a day). I was curious if it was the altitude, did a search, and here I am! I'm comforted that I'm not the only one to make this observation, I just hope I can calm everything down for my flight home tomorrow!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#372459 - 09/09/15 09:27 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

ME TOO, vettech!! PRAYING for you!!!!

I TOTALLY empathize with you! This is one of my major fears, having an "accident" on a plane!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Anything that stresses the body could cause a flare... new
      #372460 - 09/09/15 05:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

so I'd say altitude could play a role in that, particularly a sudden change to an altitude you're not used to.

XOXO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#372464 - 09/11/15 10:14 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I guess that was it. After 3 days of misery, as soon as I got home (actually, by the time I got to my Detroit layover, despite feeling horrible when I woke up) I felt much better. Today I'm exhausted but my gut feels perfectly fine.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 731 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8380

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review