All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Movicol
      #25391 - 11/04/03 03:30 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

I was originally given fybogel mybeverine for my IBS, but i have found that in recent weeks esecially this has been ineffective. Today, my doctor has prescribed me something called movicol - a sachet you mix with water, 2/3 times a week. Has anyone else ever tried this and if so, has it helped? IBS-C sufferer!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Movicol new
      #25466 - 11/04/03 11:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Katgirl - Well, there is some conflict here. First, the fybogel that you've been taking is a bit likely to cause constipation, not help it. It's a combo of isphagula (or psyllium) which is soluble fiber (good) but a variety likely to cause bloating and gas (bad). The mebeverine is a drug - it's basically an anti-spasmodic. If you have C because your gut is over-spasming, this drug can help. But if you have low motility, this drug can make constipation worse. And, it looks like fybogel also contains aspartame, an artificial sweetener, which can trigger GI side effects.

Movicol is even worse. It's a flat-out laxative. Here's a pharmacy page on it web page This is definitely not something you want to take on a regular basis.

Can you get a hold of any plain old soluble fiber supplement? Can your pharmacy order Benefiber? If you weren't getting bloating/gas from the fybogel, see if you can find a plain isphagula supplement - nothing else added, no sweeteners, just the isphagula. Or, order the acacia, which is just organic soluble fiber and nothing else. That info is here web page

Getting a good soluble fiber supplement into your gut every day will let you add more insoluble fiber foods. The combo should really help your IBS, and your body will not "adjust" to this in a negative way (you won't get bowel dependency problems like you can with the laxatives). Soluble fiber supplements will also not stop working over time - they'll be helpful forever. You can just increase the dose as needed, and there's no risk to this as it's not a drug, just plant fiber, which is good for your overall health in many ways.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25485 - 11/04/03 01:38 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Just a note to add to what Heather said - the mebeverine doesn't seem to work on many people - it certainly made me worse, not better.

#25551 - 11/04/03 11:49 PM
katgirl

The movicol is only tempoarary just to get my bowel movements working because at the moment nothing is happening and my stomach is as bloated as ive ever seen it. Ive ordered some of your acacia, peppermint and fennel tea so will try those out when they arrive. Also even though the doctors have IBS, could it just be constipation with symptoms of bloating and gas etc. I mean, there is a fine line between severe constipation and its associated symptoms and those linked to IBS. Because since Ive been following the soluble food diets, my symptoms have not got any better, in fact, they've probably got a little bit worse

Re: Movicol - someone help?! new
      #25726 - 11/06/03 05:16 AM
katgirl

This has been the worst week that I can remember - i havent had a b/m for almost a week, apart from a small one which really doesnt count. I've been trying to follow heather's diet but it seems to have made things worse. The movicol which ive now been taking for 2 1/2 days has not helped at all and surely as a laxative it should bring some relief? Heather - i know that its not the best thing to take but my doctor has only given it to me as a temporary measure just to try and kickstart my system (which isnt happening!) Im really at my wits end - my stomach is so bloated and painful and i dont know what else to do

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 478 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1924

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review