All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What foods bring on constipation?
      #25337 - 11/03/03 02:01 PM
J.C.

Reged: 07/23/03
Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

I was talking to my mom the other day and she told me that all her life she's be told that bread and rice promote constipation, not relieve it. Is this true? If not, what foods do bring on constipation?

-JC

--------------------
- John

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What foods bring on constipation? new
      #25340 - 11/03/03 02:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Foods with fiber (soluble and insoluble) are helpful for constipation. Not eating enough fiber will cause constipation. BUT- for IBS, there can be a big difference in how your gut reacts to the different types of fiber. Please read through this info to learn more web page

Breads and rice can have just soluble fiber or both soluble/insoluble. Both varieties will help constipation, but again, check the above link to learn how to be careful with insoluble.

The worst foods that can actually CAUSE constipation are red meat and dairy - the high fat, animal proteins, and zero fiber content are all very constipating.

Do a board search for more info on this topic too.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25404 - 11/04/03 06:20 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Heather's right. I decided to splurge and have a steak last night with my husband. He had grilled them and they smelled so good. I woke up this morning with stomach pain!!! My stomach was cramping and I could tell this was gonna be a bad day. If I'd just listen to her ....

You'll be okay... new
      #25464 - 11/04/03 11:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Take it easy today. Have lots of your favorite herbal tea, soluble fiber, and go for a long easy walk if you can. Just give your gut a break, and you should recover really quickly.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25547 - 11/04/03 09:02 PM
Gail1

Reged: 09/04/03
Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada

I know how you feel, I too had a small bit of steak last night and was bloated big time within a few minutes. Later I was nausas and had horrible stomach pain. I am still bloated from it and it has been over 24 hours since I had it. Hope you feel better soon. Gail

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1943 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review