All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dry mouth!!!!
      #253173 - 03/20/06 10:33 AM
Jenni13

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Roanoke (North Fort Worth), Texas

Hi all. I'm new to this board and have a question. I did a search but couldn't find a past post with info I'm looking for. So...here I am. Just to give you a little background info...I was officially diagnosed with IBS 2 years ago...but looking back I think I've had it my whole life and didn't know it. I'm usually C, but I also have days where I have a BM like 5 times a day! I bought the eating for IBS book about a year and a half ago, and found this website, but didn't give the diet enough of a try cause I just didn't want to be that disciplined. However, last week I decided to get out the book and make a true effort this time to try this diet because I'm just so sick of feeling crappy. I've exercised off and on my whole life, but towards the end of last year got a lot more serious about it and started running a lot. I also started eating a lot "healthier"...lots of raw veggies, whole wheat, skim milk...you get the picture...everything that's healthy for someone who doesn't have IBS. So it seems like my IBS has gotten worse lately, and I'm assuming that's why. So, I went to the store last Wednesday and stocked up on IBS safe foods...although still getting other stuff for my non-IBS husband. So I started the diet Thursday...and just got my Acacia in the mail over the weekend and started that too. I haven't done the strict diet of just rice, pasta, crackers...but I'm sticking with the maintenance diet and incorporating veggies/beans that are chopped, etc. in small quantities along with my soluble fiber base and I drink tons of water (always have). Ok...so that's the background and here's my question. One of my biggest problems all along, besides bloating, is dry mouth and bad breath. It's gotten especially worse lately. And now that I've started the diet (6 days in) I'm still having very dry mouth and bad breath!!! Maybe it's too soon to expect results but I do?!?! I used to mask the issue with sugarless gum but now I can't have that so I've been sucking on peppermints, which I really don't like cause I'm not big into candy. I'm so self-conscience about my breath and I hate it. Does anyone else have/had this problem and if so please give me some advice! Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Heather, can you help??? new
      #253343 - 03/21/06 06:52 AM
Jenni13

Well I see that quite a good number of you have read my post but no one's replied...kinda disappointing cause that makes me feel like nobody else has this problem. Maybe the dry mouth isn't even linked to the IBS, although I feel it is cause it tends to be at it's worst when i'm bloated, etc. I have a dentist appointment on April 1st...maybe they'll be able to help?!?!

Heather, do you have any advice?

Re: dry mouth!!!! new
      #253351 - 03/21/06 07:16 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am not sure what could cause your dry mouth since you say that you drink enough water that would have been my first guess. Has it just started when you began the SFS? If you don't have reflux I would stick with sucking on some peppermint candies (ex. Altoids) pr try different flavours because they will help with 2 problems at once, your stomach and give you nice fresh breath. You could also try mouthwash as long as it doesn't have any triggers in it like, sorbitol for ex.
Sorry I am not of much help, maybe someone else will have some ideas
Good Luck
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Heather, can you help??? new
      #253353 - 03/21/06 07:18 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The dry mouth probably isn't linked to IBS, since as you said no one has replied. Some causes of dry mouth that I know about though are dehydration, diabetes, and hypothyroidism. It would be good to talk to your dentist as well as you doctor about it.

As for bad breath, I noticed that after I have one of Heather's peppermint capsules, my breath stays nice all day. And of course, they are great for helping with IBS symptoms.

Goodluck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: Heather, can you help??? new
      #253354 - 03/21/06 07:18 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm not sure if dry mouth in connected in anyway to IBS but I have an awful time with it too! I also have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and I believe a couple of the medications I'm on also make the dry mouth thing worse. I'm not sure I have a solution for you, I suck on Halls Fruit Breezers a lot as I also seem to have a chronic sore throat. They don't bother my tummy but I'm not sure if they are completely 100% ibs safe or not. Peppermint Altoids are also good and Heather actually suggests them to help calm tummy, so thats another option. Sorry I don't have any better solutions for you, if you find something that really helps, let me know too!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Are you taking a prescription anti-spasmodic? new
      #253435 - 03/21/06 10:09 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

That can cause a really dry mouth. So can allergy meds if you're on any of those. If it's not from a med, I'm afraid I'm at a loss...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks for your responses new
      #253445 - 03/21/06 10:26 AM
Jenni13

Thank you all so much for responding...even if I didn't get an answer it's nice to hear some feedback.

Well...it sounds like this may not be associated with IBS afterall. I'm not on any meds like Michele and the rest of you commented, so maybe there's something else that's causing this? I've had it for years and just always assumed it went along with my other issues...made sense to me?!?! I'm doing some research about it and will hopefully find some answers. I have a dentist appt in two weeks so maybe he'll be able to shed some light?! If not I'm going to go to the doctor to have a blood test...never hurts to rule out other things because as I'm researching it can be caused by diabetes and some other things that I pray I don't have. Like I said, I drink water constantly but yet I am always still thirsty and have a dry mouth.

Well...thanks again for all the imput! I'll try the peppermint altoids in the meantime.

Nope! -nt- new
      #253447 - 03/21/06 10:27 AM
Jenni13

Re: Thanks for your responses new
      #253453 - 03/21/06 10:42 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If you are constantly thirsty, you really should have your thyroid and sugar checked!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Thanks for your responses new
      #253495 - 03/21/06 12:48 PM
Jenni13

Thanks for the advice. I've had it checked in the past because my mom and both my sisters have hypothyroidism, plus I have vitiligo which they thought might be associated, but I didn't have it...it's been years since I had it checked though. I don't have insurance at the moment but once I do I'll go to the doctor...especially if the dentist is no help.

#253712 - 03/22/06 09:32 AM
sandys

Reged: 03/22/06

I developed secondary hypothyroidism(actual pituitary issue) because of malabsorption from years of IBS. I have extreme dry eyes, not dry mouth. This might be causing your problem. Also, there is a website, therabreath.com, that explains bad breath caused by tonsiloliths or tonsil stones. They are white particles stuck in the back of your throat. They really smell foul. This was my problem. Look at the back of your throat for white things stuck in the nooks & crannies. I actually pick them out with a toothpick. Check out the website for more info. This may be your breath problem.

#253724 - 03/22/06 10:00 AM
DebbieChr

Reged: 03/22/06
Loc: Ohio

Hi,
I use Biotene Mouthwash for my dry mouth. I was so thankful for this product. It is a great breath freshener also. They also have a mouth gel but I have not tried it. I also noticed that certain drugs such as Zyrtec was causing dry mouth. I cut out all caffeine also and that helped alot. Hope this helps!

thanks! new
      #253775 - 03/22/06 01:29 PM
Jenni13

thanks Sandys and DebbieChr for the advice...i'm definitely checking out the biotene mouthwash and the therabreath site!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2606 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3200

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review