All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why is LEAN red meat bad? Pregnant craving! Pregnancy advice!
      #252374 - 03/15/06 03:36 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

Why exactly is red meat bad for us IBS-ers? My grocery store sells 97% lean ground beef, so I think it only has 4 g. fat and 135 calories or so. The reason I'm asking is this:

I just found out I'm pregnant with my second, probably 8 weeks or so along. I had pretty bad stomach problems when I was PG with my first, and they just continued after having him, so they assumed I developed IBS. Anyway, the smell and thought of chicken absolutely repulses me. That's what happened last time I was PG. Chicken, my main meal every night before becoming PG, makes me gag. I literally want to throw up after I eat it. So in my last preg I ate very lean ground beef patties to help w/ iron levels and protein levels. I had a lot of tummy distress while PG until I narrow it down to things I learned I could tolerate, but I don't know if I still can. I mean, I ate lean beef w/ one slice of low fat cheese for dinner a lot. I didn't gain a ton of weight since I couldn't tolerate much gas/stomach/reflux wise, but that was the one thing I could eat. Sounds so IBS unsafe! I mean, I don't know when the IBS actually started, so I don't know what to do. I'm extra gassy and a little D (on and off) since getting PG, but I think I was like that my first trimester last time.

So I don't know what to do. Is even lean red meat a real trigger that should always be avoided? I just don't know what I'm going to eat because last time chicken grossed me out the entire 9 months!

any help would be appreciated.

Amber

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why is LEAN red meat bad? Pregnant craving! Pregnancy advice! new
      #252378 - 03/15/06 03:47 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Amber!

Here's a quote from Heather's IBS Diet FAQ:

"The major trigger foods - red meats, dairy, egg yolks, fried foods - are high in fat and, for the meat, dairy, and eggs, also have proteins that are very difficult for the body to digest. They can basically grind digestion to a halt for IBS-constipation folks, or send it spasming out of control for the diarrhea-prone, and result in severe attacks either way."

So, you can see that it's the process of breaking down the proteins that are irritating. You could do a search on "red meat" because there have been a few other discussions in which Heather has commented.

I really believe that if you have a bad case of IBS, it's important to cut out all red meat (any meat that comes from a mammal). Some people use TVP or ground turkey or chicken, in place of ground beef.

I haven't eaten red meat in over 10 years and I only eat chicken and fish a few times a week - I have never had low iron or protein levels. However, I've never been pregnant either.

Take care!

It's not just the fat content, it's the proteins that are also very new
      #252387 - 03/15/06 04:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

difficult to digest. If chicken doesn't appeal you can have seafood, egg whites, beans, and soy. If you have any concerns about getting the nutrition you need for a pregnancy you can see a dietitian. But you can be totally vegan and have a very healthy pregnancy, so there's no need to eat meat for that concern.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Why is LEAN red meat bad? Pregnant craving! Pregnancy advice! new
      #252394 - 03/15/06 05:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Try Boca burgers or premade turkey patties by the Turkey Store (in meat section). If one has a beef craving every so often I would recommend flank steak as the leanest but that is not what you are talking about, so no! A few weeks ago I craved beef and made very lean stirfry with flank steak and veggies.
But as Heather said try all the other protein sources and do not resort to beef and especially stay away from cheese. What about rotisserie chickens, do those gross you out?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: It's not just the fat content, it's the proteins that are also very new
      #252396 - 03/15/06 05:32 PM
DOTT

Reged: 03/12/06

hi

like to know if sprouted rye bread is ok to eat from a health food store

dot

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4645 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 972

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review