All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heather, what the hell?
      #25200 - 11/02/03 01:51 PM
KittyM

Reged: 11/02/03

Has anyone else noticed all the glaring inconsistencies of Heather's book? Graham Crackers and Arrowroot Crackers? Has anyone ever looked at the ingredients in there? Wheat, butter, whole eggs, you name it!
My best friend (and roommate) has had IBS for about six months now, four of which we have been using Heather's cook book. Her symptoms have not abated or even lessened. If anything they've gotten worse. Certainly, her worst attacks are brought on by Heather's recipes. We have followed the directions precisely, so you tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather, what the hell? new
      #25203 - 11/02/03 02:44 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I sort of know where you are coming from. I followed Heather's diet and I haven't had much success either. I've actually been getting worse over the past six months since I've started following it. I also have been reading other books and have a few questions as well. Not to attack you Heather but I am very confused. I've been reading "Patient Heal Thyself" by Jordan Rubin. He says sugar is bad, bad, bad. He also says that white bread is harder to digest than proteins and it's been suggested that I cut out all fruits, fruit juices, sugars and reduce to a minimum pasta, breads and baked goods and that I should eat whole grains and rice instead. The pasta and the bread are very processed and for my digestive tract right now I need more easy to digest protein to rebuild than heavy loads of starch that need lots of enzyme to digest.

And this in only the beginning of the conflicts. They have their research and ideas and you have yours. Who's right? I want to get well and it's just hasn't been happening. I hope you don't think you are being attacked. I just need some answers and I'm sure there are others out there as well.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#25215 - 11/02/03 04:09 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Just out of curiousity, what medical testing have you both, well your friend, undergone? IBS can look like many other illnesses including parasitic infections. I had a parasitic infection that left me with IBS. My friend had suffered from IBS like symptoms for years and come to find it is was a parasitic infection, not IBS, the whole time. Another friend of mine was told she had IBS and it ended up being a rare disorder of the gallbladder which has since been removed and all symptoms have ceased. Many doctors, I have found, are quick to give the diagnosis of IBS without performing all of the necessary tests to diagnose it. Yes, there are conflicting messages about what IBS sufferers should eat. Even the doctors will all tell you something different. I say eat what works for you! Obviously Heather's diet is not working for you all, but it does for SO many others. I say keep on digging until you find what works for you and press those doctors for all of the necessary tests if you haven't done so already.
leah

Re: Heather new
      #25224 - 11/02/03 05:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kitty, and welcome to the board. I'm not sure what brand of graham crackers or arrowroot crackers you have, but the brands I've always used don't have butter or whole eggs in them. They have wheat flour, but it's refined wheat (white flour), not whole wheat. They're very low fat foods, and they have a soluble fiber basis. This is actually completely consistent with the dietary guidelines of the book overall - low fat, soluble fiber foundation, careful with insoluble fiber, and avoidance of trigger foods such as red meat, dairy, fried foods, coffee, soda pop.

I'm so sorry your roommate hasn't been feeling better. I'd really suggest that she make sure she has a proper diagnosis. Has she been tested for celiac? That's often overlooked. And she should certainly have been tested for inflammatory bowel diseases as well, not to mention common food allergies. Has she noticed any consistencies with foods that bring on attacks? If she has problems with white breads or pastas that could point to celiac. If she has problems that include belching and some upper GI discomfort that could point to gallbladder problems.

How does she do with soluble fiber supplements, peppermint or fennel tea, chamomile or ginger tea? Do her symptoms match those of IBS? There's info about that here where she can check, and also see if she's had the proper diagnostic tests web page

Hope your roommate is feeling better soon. She's welcome to join the board and ask any questions she has.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25226 - 11/02/03 05:15 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi I am so sorry your roommate is having a hard time.

Personally I've done much better on the diet, especially after eliminating dairy. I was diagnose early last year and until I started the diet last Fall I was still at my Doctor's office complaining of pain.

Give it some time and stay away from all processed food, including bread. I either make my own bread or buy it fresh. I don't eat whole wheat, because it doubles me over in pain and I can tolerate oatmeal. Some people can not eat oatmeal.

Maybe your roommate needs to be tested for food allergies. Has she been tested for Celiac disease? What kind of tests has she had done for IBS?

#25228 - 11/02/03 05:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Corinne, and hugs to you. So sorry you're not feeling well lately.

I'm not familiar with Jordan Rubin's book - is it specifically for IBS? There is very, very limited research on diet and IBS - virtually every study that I've ever seen is posted here on the boards in the research library, under diet.

The recommendation to avoid fruits and fruit juices has some sound reasoning, as fruit sugar (fructose) is a known IBS trigger. It can cause cramps, gas, and diarrhea in people who don't even have IBS. I would personally temper this suggestion as fresh fruits are essential for good health, so eating small quantities of them, especially cooked into something like fruits breads, or a bowl of rice cereal, is better than none at all.

Sugar (as in refined sugar) is sucrose, not fructose, and is not a GI stimulant or irritant. It's certainly not a health food, and you can completely eliminate it from your diet without any negative consequences to your IBS or otherwise. I'm not sure that you'd actually see an improvement in your IBS if you eliminate sucrose - there isn't any reason I've come across why you would - but there's no harm in trying.

I wouldn't agree that proteins are easier to digest than starches. They're not, especially things like animal proteins. There's a reason people start feeding infants their first solid foods with things like white rice, mashed bananas, or oatmeal instead of cheeseburgers. Starchy foods, in addition to typically having soluble fiber (which will normalize bowel function - that's a biological fact, not my opinion) are usually the very easiest to digest.

Ironically, processed foods (which would be white breads and pasta, as they're made from processed wheat - the process is that the wheat is ground and the bran, which has the insoluble fiber, is removed) are usually easier to digest for people with IBS. The insoluble fiber is a GI tract stimulant (again, this is simple biology - not my opinion) so if you have a bowel dysfunction that makes your colon susceptible to irregular muscle contractions, insoluble fiber can cause problems. Thus whole grains can be more difficult, not easier, for IBS. They are more nutritious, however, which is why I'm always urging people to incorporate as many insoluble fiber foods as they can, but as carefully as possible.

You need digestive enzymes for carbs, proteins, and fats. In fact, different enzymes are required for each of these types of foods. Interestingly, the more you eat of one type of food the more of those enzymes you'll produce. But you'll always have the enzymes required for all of these foods, unless you have a physical problem producing them, which would be something other than IBS altogether.

I would suggest that you follow whatever you feel will help you the most. That is what truly matters. If something works for you, and makes you feel better, then it is right. What's right for you is really all that matters.

I hadn't actually realized that you have been struggling like this for several months. I'd really urge you to post any questions you have, or give us as much information as possible about what you're eating, how your stress levels are, and anything else you can think of that could be affecting you. A lot of times people think they're doing everything they should be, but there's actually something going on that is sabotaging their efforts with their realizing it. I'd like to hope that's what's going on here, and that we're able to figure out what the problem is and help you solve it.

xxoo,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25304 - 11/03/03 08:27 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I have a comment, we that are diagnosed with IBS look for every answer of how to get over it. You can get over IBS you have to learn to control it. Heather's book is one of three I have read and I found hers to be more satisfying to me.Something else we must realize is, that what one can eat is not always what another can eat. I found that wheat sometimes can trigger me and fructose will. I can't tolerate graham crackers of any kind, it's a mystery to me, but yet I avoid it because it's a trigger. The recipes that I have followed from Heather's cooking have given me much hope and I try them and I substitute where needed. Insoluble and Soluble make sense and it works. I balance out my eating habits and I take no meds and no fiber supplements at this time, never have. I started out having the common stomach flu this year and now symptoms of IBS and I mean bad DDD. Get tested and make sure food allergy is not a issue and talk to your DOC, meds can make you worse and getting the right ones for your are another thing all together. I hope everyone feels better. Sinced I joined this board,I have found a tremendous amount of support, and friendship. God Bless.
Sherri

#25306 - 11/03/03 08:51 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

To the Roommate,

I would like to defend Heather by saying:

When I started her diet I planned on only reading her material and her diet plan. I have found that if you decide to read multiple books by different authors, the information will start to contradict itself.

Heather does not claim to be a doctor, but she does know the proper test and everything to get and what has helped her. If you haven't gotten any tests (Ie: Colonoscopy) then it's not fair to point to Heather as your symptoms may not point to IBS.

Also - everyone's body are different - what one person reacts to as a trigger, will be totally different for the next.

If the diet isn't working foryou then you may want to consider get the tests and see what happens there.

Good luck,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: Heather, what the hell?Lana marie new
      #25308 - 11/03/03 09:04 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

As I was driving my kids to school after my post I had the exact same thing in mind. Heather's books or any others are not intended to treat or cure IBS or any other diseases.
I defend Heather also and she should be commended for her efforts and her caring personality to help others regain their lives.

#25314 - 11/03/03 09:39 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I agree with what everyone has said so far--be 100% you really do have IBS. I've found a lot of doctors will throw around IBS because it's all too common. But...be sure.

When I was first diagnosed with IBS, I tried to research everything I could get my hands on about it. I tried reading other books (with minimal success) until I found Heather's books. What she says makes sense. And after following her diet, I've regained a somewhat normal routine. I still have my attacks every so often (usually when I fall off the wagon and eat one of my trigger foods) and have to be very, very careful.

The thing is, it took me a good year to formulate my OWN diet plan. Some thing work, some things don't. Success really comes from trial and error. Every body is different. You know your body. Do what makes you feel good.

But...Heather's books and this board are good places to start. And I will say this in her defense--she really knows her stuff and truly cares about IBS sufferers. Give her a chance.

Kristine

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3971 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2905

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review