All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Heather's Fennel Tea
      #250410 - 03/07/06 08:22 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Okay, after just reading the latest newsletter, I have decided to go with Heather's brand fennel tea instead of the grocery store brand I've been buying (cuz it's cheaper). Also, will buy her peppermint tea as long as I'm ordering!

I can't decide if I should buy the tea bags or the loose leaf. Do you guys have a preference? Is one stronger than the other? More economical?

I apologize because I know I asked this before...but I can't find my responses!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather's Fennel Tea new
      #250418 - 03/07/06 08:38 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

The bags are awesome! I only have the peppermint, and I too tried a less expensive brand first. There is NO comparrison! Worth the money! That peppermint is sooo calming! I'm going to order fennel next time too.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Okay, one vote for the bags! new
      #250461 - 03/07/06 10:13 AM
Augie

Thanks Kim. Do you only have to use one bag for it to work? Now I use 2 or even 3!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Okay, one vote for the bags! new
      #250468 - 03/07/06 10:32 AM
bamagirl

I only use one bag and steep it for 10-15 minutes.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#250473 - 03/07/06 10:42 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05

Okay, tell me what fennel tea tastes like if you will Do you actually enjoy the taste??? Thanks.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Re: Okay, one vote for the bags! new
      #250480 - 03/07/06 10:53 AM
beachdreamer

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: New York State

I use Heather's bags too. The tea tastes better than the bulk seeds I bought at the grocery store. I steep mine for at least 10 minutes, and the tea itself has a mild licorice flavor (IMHO)

Regards,
Barbara

would you say that.. new
      #250515 - 03/07/06 12:03 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

heather's pepp tea is better then celestial seasonings pepp tea?? that's the one i drink and just find myself "living" with the same symptoms--with the added bonus of knowing im drinking pepp tea to help. mine never seems to do 'just the trick'

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

hey beth! new
      #250516 - 03/07/06 12:07 PM
little bear

i bought heathers fennel tea once--and am wishing i bought more! i bought the bags [they seemed easier and less mess] someone told me, for them to work, you need to drink one cup a day for a little bit [try a week to get started] i guess you start to notice a difference when your body has been tasting it longer then a day. definately get the bags!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: would you say that.. new
      #250518 - 03/07/06 12:12 PM
bamagirl

I originally ordered some peppermint tea from an online healthfood supplier...organic ect...to see if it helped. It was warm and tasted good, but I never saw a difference. I ordered Heather's tea when it came out in bags, and there is a HUGE difference in quality! When I'm cramping, I can tell a difference if I have a cup of tea.

I will say this...I use several other supplements not just the tea. I only use the tea when I'm hurting or get very severe spasms. It truly calms things down. I've been holding off on the fennel because of the taste, but since gas and bloat are my stated enemies, I'm going to try it anyway. I think I can get past the taste if it helps.

The QUALITY of Heather's tea is bar none, and I'm not a supplement junkie. It is amazing at the difference when compared to others.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

me too new
      #250523 - 03/07/06 12:18 PM
little bear

yes i was surprised at just HOW MANY teabags came in my tin of fennel tea when i ordered it in december. i couldnt believe how big the teabags were!! the fennel is alright as far as taste--but drink it hot! when its cold it tastes even more funky

when i have cramps too i reach for tea and a heating pad. as of late in an attempt to control this awful C, ive been sticking *just to* peppermint and chamomile. only with the pepp, i never notice a big pepp-step in my symptoms so-to-speak. perhaps ill try heathers pepp tea next time i order. thanks

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: hey beth! new
      #250526 - 03/07/06 12:33 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I agree! Def get the bags. And yes...they HELP! My gas leaves quite quickly when I drink Heather's fennel tea. And I've tried others...none are as strong as hers!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thanks everyone! new
      #250530 - 03/07/06 12:39 PM
Augie

I'm so excited to get these! I'm going to order both kinds!

--------------------
~ Beth

Me too! new
      #250563 - 03/07/06 01:09 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have been drinking the "eater's digest" tea from Traditional Medicinals, which contains both peppermint and fennel. But I can't say I've ever really noticed it helping, so I am going to try Heather's tea to see if it makes any difference. Good luck, Augie!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

No boiling H20 new
      #250576 - 03/07/06 01:28 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I have the loose seeds. It seemed more economical that way. I don't seem to taste much at all, but all I have access to is the hot water in the water dispenser. It's hot, but not really hot enough to brew it good.
I bought a heating pad yesterday. Let's hope I don't have to use it or drink any tea for a while.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

I drink that too! new
      #250577 - 03/07/06 01:28 PM
Augie

I love the taste of this tea. But, like you, not sure if it helps the symptoms. I'm drinking it now if fact! At night, I usually mix 2 bags and one bag peppermint together.

--------------------
~ Beth

Do you have to crush the seeds?-nt new
      #250579 - 03/07/06 01:29 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#250639 - 03/07/06 04:40 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Hello All,

I thought I'd jump in here and ask about the fennel tea. I'm very interested in it, never had it and can't for the life of me find it anywhere I've looked. I'd like to order it from Heather, but if I can't stomach the taste of it I'd hate to waste it if I didn't like it. I wish I could get like a sample or something to see if I like it.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks,

Carol

Oh, I never steep mine new
      #250672 - 03/07/06 06:53 PM
Augie

Do you keep it covered as well?

--------------------
~ Beth

You could get a cheaper box at a HFS new
      #250673 - 03/07/06 06:57 PM
Augie

Whole foods usually carries Altiva fennel tea for about $3.50. Or, you could buy a small bottle of fennel in the spice/herb aisle and smash the seeds and put them in a tea ball to test the taste factor.

Also, you could buy a fennel bulb in the produce aisle and cook it to test the taste.

I really wouldn't care what it tasted like as long as it worked for gas and bloating! Add a little rice milk or sugar or stevia....or add another flavored herb tea to help the taste. I happen to like the taste.

--------------------
~ Beth

Steep it, woman! new
      #250676 - 03/07/06 07:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It steeps, it gets stronger... stronger fennel tea means more health benefits from it.

#250677 - 03/07/06 07:10 PM
Snow for Sarala

Hi there

I don't care for the taste much...so I mix them! I LOVE pepp tea with fennel and green tea mixed. Just me tho.

Lots of ppl mix their fennel up with other flavors cause they don't like the taste.

Do you like black licorice? If you do...you'll love fennel. If not...you might have to mix it. But NOTHING beats fennel tea when it comes to gas

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Oh, I never steep mine new
      #250703 - 03/08/06 05:35 AM
bamagirl

Beth, I fill up my largest mug, pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes, drop a tea bag into the hot water and forget about it for 15 minutes. By the time I come back to it, the tea is strong and cool enough to sip on. Works like a charm for me!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Oh, I never steep mine new
      #250761 - 03/08/06 10:44 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth, I am terrible! I double-bag & steep for at least five minutes! Heck, sometimes I even triple or quadrouple bag. I like it POTENT, lol! Yes, seriously. AND IT WORKS!!! Especially if I'm cramping.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: me too new
      #250764 - 03/08/06 10:48 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Celestial Seasonings peppermint is ok, but Heather's is fantastic! It's way stronger and I've used it (plus a tablespoon of acacia) to stop a D attack dead.

I have both the loose tea (to use at home with a tea ball or teapot) and the teabags (for travel and for times where I feel too crappy to fiddle with a tea ball).

--AC, parenthetical today

Re: You could get a cheaper box at a HFS new
      #250784 - 03/08/06 12:26 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Thanks for the replies....I think I'm going to order it anyways and use the suggestions of mixing something with it. I'm sure if I experiment enough with it that I'll find my niche. I'd rather feel less bloated anyways. I've been so bloated lately that it seems like everything that I eat, even in small quantities, makes me feel like I ate a huge meal. It gets really frustrating after awhile as you all know. I'm so desperate that I am going for the fennel tea.

Thanks again,

Carol

No, it's not actually cheaper... new
      #250787 - 03/08/06 12:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the HFS brands have much, much smaller quantites of tea and the cost per tea bag is a lot higher. The volatile oil content is also a lot lower, as you're virtually never getting whole fennel seeds in tea bags from HFS.

There's more to look at than just flat price - look at price per quantity, and quality as well.

If it was easy for people to find high quality, whole seed fennel teas or tea bags with high volatile oil contents, I wouldn't bother carrying this on our website.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather...you misunderstood I think new
      #250789 - 03/08/06 12:44 PM
Augie

The poster just wanted a small sample to test the taste of fennel before buying yours. I thought this would help her decide about the taste...not that it is equivalent to yours.

I plan on ordering yours now.

Please don't think I was trying to compare the two!

--------------------
~ Beth

No problem! new
      #250799 - 03/08/06 01:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

The taste might not be the same, though. It's hard to say - I've had regular store fennel tea that doesn't taste at all right to me, and other folks have said the same. Fresh fennel tastes a lot sweeter - if it's old it can taste kind of musty or bitter.
- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Do you have to crush the seeds?-nt new
      #250808 - 03/08/06 01:59 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I have the seeds too & think they're fantastic! I don't crush them at all. I put them in a strainer (that fits in my mug), pour hot water over them & let them sit for 10 min or so. The best part is after the tea is gone, I can nibble on the seeds to get more benefit. This takes a while to get used to cause the taste is kinda strong but it definitely helps with the bloating. I usually use about 2T per mug
Meryl
IBS-C

Oh yah, you HAVE TO steep it! new
      #250829 - 03/08/06 04:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I'm another one who lets it steep 15 mins or so.
You have to steep it! The stronger the tea, the more it's going to help!

Re: No problem! new
      #250831 - 03/08/06 04:04 PM
retrograde

That's the difference I noticed in your fennel vs. store-bought fennel... the store-bought has kind of a musty and bitter taste to it. It's not terrible, just not... pleasant. I looove the taste of the fennel I buy off the site though (Thank you!)

yes Heather's fennel tastes sweeter and better than other fennel -nt new
      #250839 - 03/08/06 04:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Ashley/fennel new
      #250840 - 03/08/06 04:17 PM
retrograde

Hi Ashley!

For a while during the summer I got C (I'm usually D) for about a month, due, mostly, to it being a somewhat stressful period in my personal life. During this time my bloating became really bad - as in, all the time, and painful. I had some of Heather's fennel tea in my cupboard - I usually just use it whenever I get really bloated, i.e. after the fact - and it does help. But I found it to be a godsend for actually preventing bloating and helping to get me stabilized again. For me, when I was C, I found that I really needed to drink 3 cups of it (brewed really strong) throughout the day (1 in the morning, 1 after lunch and 1 after dinner), every day, to bring down and then prevent the bloat and pain. It really really helped, but I really did need to completely overload on it - as in I really needed all 3 cups. I've kind of backed off on the fennel a little because I've gone back to being mostly stable (with occasional D) and don't find that I need it as much, but it sure did help me get through the workday during the summer!

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience to let you know that it CAN BE really helpful - but you may need to be drinking more of it to realize the benefits!

I DEF. like the way yours tastes better... new
      #251152 - 03/09/06 01:30 PM
Snow for Sarala

in fact...I made it really hot yesterrday for my bronchitus and I forgot to mix it with green tea and it tasted super good! I always mixed it cause I didn't like the way fennel tasted from the HFS brand I used to buy.

Heather...you just ROCK! No doubt about it!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: You could get a cheaper box at a HFS new
      #251153 - 03/09/06 01:31 PM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05

I took the advice of trying some I got at my local HFS, and I love it!!! So, now I'm going to order Heather's. It's funny how everyone's taste is different. I can't stomach ginger tea, I tried and tried and it's just not my taste, but I really enjoyed the taste of fennel. I'm excited to get the good stuff from Heather!

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Aw thanks!!! -nt- new
      #251197 - 03/09/06 04:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7687

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review