All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
POULTRY, BEEF, SEAFOOD
      #24965 - 10/30/03 12:43 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

I see a list of soluble fiber that includes fruits, veggies and breads but nothing on meats. Are we more inclined to be constipated with beef than chicken? Are there any meats we should stay away from?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: POULTRY, BEEF, SEAFOOD new
      #24969 - 10/30/03 01:12 PM
NancyS

Reged: 10/15/03

It's not that meat makes us more constipated. It's the fat in beef and pork that aggrivates the gastrointestinal tract. Stick with chicken, turkey and fish for relief from IBS "attacks."

Yep, Nancy's right new
      #24977 - 10/30/03 02:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Avoid red meat completely - it's not just the fat, it's the proteins that are very difficult to digest. Remember too that animal products have zero fiber.

Check the trigger list food info here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/trigger1.asp to understand why meat is a big problem.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This reminds me.... new
      #24979 - 10/30/03 02:36 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Speaking of animal protein... this may be off topic.

-Warning: graphic descriptions-

I'm currently taking an Environmental Science lab class and last Wednesday's topic was food. I pretty much aced this lab. We had to write down what we ate for a week (easy since I already do that!) and then got to watch a very fun (being sarcastic) video about the way animals are treated in farms - mainly cows; about the crowded conditions and pesticides they use. They even showed a doctor pulling the fat out of someone's artery.. it was pretty nasty. So by the end of this video, the whole class is going "ew yuck.. I'm never eating red meat again.." Now I like animals and don't like the way they're treated and all, but if I had a choice and didn't have IBS.. not sure if I could give a nice juicy hamburger up. LOL So I'm sitting there in class, thinking "at least you people have the option of not eating it!" I thought it was pretty funny.

And then later in the class, we counted up everyone's fat grams for the week and I had the lowest score (still in healthy range).. even lower than the teacher who is the idea environmentalist. Since it was the lowest, I earned an extra 30 pts!

So in addition to making me healthy, IBS scored me an extra 30 pts in my class.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#24983 - 10/30/03 03:25 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

LOL - Well, at least IBS is good for something!

#24989 - 10/30/03 05:01 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

It reminds me too of a college class I took (I won't say how many years ago) where we went through a (beef) meat packing plant. Watched from beginning (the kill) to the end. I never ate a can of potted meat or hot dog again. The smell is something I will NEVER forget. Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1852 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review