All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Still looking for prawns! (and a few other things)
      #2477 - 03/11/03 02:23 PM
ag5t

Reged: 03/11/03
Loc: Houston, Texas

I haven't been able to find any prawns in southeast Texas, but there's lots of shrimp from the Gulf Coast. I really like the IBS book recipes that use shrimp. I also noted that you can substitute other things at times - our family didn't have any crab for the omelet so we used tunafish. I guess with omelets you can use just about anything if it's ok by your digestive system. -- I'm also having a tough time finding soy blue cheese salad dressing, carob powder and a few other things (but my family is not too keen on trying squid and some of the exotic recipes anyway). I am fortunate that I have relatives in New Mexico and can get those wonderful peppers. That IBS book certainly changed my life for the better. For a while I was even losing weight which I needed to do anyway. Thanks everyone for being a great support group. It really does help. (Maybe some of these items are found more in the northern U.S.)
Marty

--------------------
Amateur radio IS a contact sport!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shrimp vs. prawns new
      #2479 - 03/11/03 02:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - for just about any recipe that calls for prawns, you can use shrimp (and vice versa). They're usually the exact same thing, just given different names. Prawns are usually the larger variety of shrimp, not the tiny salad ones. But definitely use whatver you can find - it's all good!

I can no longer find the soy bleu cheese salad dressing I used to use. Now I just buy fat free Ranch dressing (any brand) and that works beautifully instead. Carob powder you'll probably have to get a health food store - but you can also substitute unsweetened cocoa powder for it (start off with half as much cocoa as carob, and then adjust to taste).

And welcome to the board!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Still looking for prawns! (and a few other things) new
      #2480 - 03/11/03 02:34 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Welcome to the board! I've only been posting for a couple of days but everyone is really welcoming and kind. I also have problems finding products, but I think low-fat and soy products seem more easily available in the US. We seem to be a little behind in the UK - I'll have to see if mail order can help
Take care
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Question for the UK folks on the board new
      #2482 - 03/11/03 02:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Any suggestions for Sarah on where she can find low fat and soy products?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Question for the UK folks on the board new
      #2621 - 03/12/03 01:48 PM
geekgirl

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: UK

I live in the UK and use a mixture of supermarket, health food shop, and an online (UK-based) shop. Soya cheese, milk and yoghurt is available in my supermarket. However I went into a different branch of the same shop only to find they didn't stock the soya cheese at all - apparently it depends on the demand in the particular area. In any case my local independent health food shop stocks a variety of dairy replacements, so I tend to shop there instead. I also recently came across http://www.veganstore.co.uk/ and was especially impressed with one of the powdered cheese substitutes. Some of the UK soya product manufacturers do mail order themselves. I've not tried that yet, but it gives greater choice if your local shops don't have what you want.

While we're on the subject of soya products, I have tried quite a few. The milks and yoghurts are generally very good. Soya cream cheese is very good. The solid soya cheeses vary widely in taste, and many do NOT melt (I use the powdered cheese substitute mentioned earlier when I would have wanted real cheese to melt). So don't give up if the first one you try is horrible ;-)

Hope that helps,
geekgirl

Re: Question for the UK folks on the board-Thank you! new
      #2671 - 03/13/03 06:02 AM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

I just wanted to thank you for the website address. I found a few things I would like to order before I head over to the UK for a few weeks in June when I visit my fiance. Just want to be as prepared as possible, so thanks again!

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 543 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 953

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review