All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
HELP! Dr. Natura Has Scared Me!
      #246719 - 02/16/06 09:37 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi, very briefly.

I did some reading on Dr. Natura on here.
I would like to know, is it possible Dr. Natura is to blame for my problems today?

I was not a chronic C, rather I would have irregularity, dry and incomplete stools before starting Dr. Natura 12 days ago.
Then, taking Benefiber and Acidophillus, I felt improved, then I heard about Dr. Natura and decided, at the advice of my nutrionist, to try it.

I felt somewhat better the first few days.
I would wake up with a cramp, an urge to go, and would have a huge stool movement.
I basically reduced from going five times a day to going one to two times with large stools.
My stomach was more chizzled.

Then, on Day 6, I increased Dr. Natura as they desrcibed.
Since then, I have felt much worse.
I now feel worse than I have in a very long time.
I feel dry, c, and when I wake up in the morning, I don't have a cramp or the urge to go.

I even reduced dose to how it was orignally, and to no avail.
(It is important to note, I was on 1500 mg of Depakote.
Then, last Monday, I started 25 mgs of Serequel.
No change, I was fine.
Then on Thursday, not only did I begin 1) Raising the Pills, Fiber, and Tea as prescribed by Dr. Natura, but I also 2) Increased the Depakote from 1500 mgs to 2000 mgs.)

I wanted to know if this sounds like a Depakote, Serequel issue, or, if Dr. Natura is no longer working and if I should drop it immediately.
Have others of you had a similar experience?

I am now worried I could have done permanent harm.
Please tell me, if this is Dr. Natura or not, and if it is, am I damaged or since it's been only 12 days can I leave without further ado?
Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP! Dr. Natura Has Scared Me! new
      #246828 - 02/16/06 02:53 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hi,

I'm not sure if you have the right website. Heather and almost everyone here does not recommend doing cleanses. If you do a search though, you'll find instructions on how to go slowly off a cleanse.

Good luck.

Re: HELP! Dr. Natura Has Scared Me! new
      #246835 - 02/16/06 03:15 PM
Naturapanic

Heather didn't say no, she warned about the need for being careful if using it.
Dr. Natura also is natural, it is NOT chemically based, so again, should this be classified in the same category as other cleansers given these?
What would be the problem with, if needbe, going off cold turkey?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

I do say no to cleansers, no matter what... new
      #246838 - 02/16/06 03:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but I don't know anything about Dr. Natura or the products you mentioned at all. The Benefiber and probiotics are good things - everything else you've been taking I don't know about. Cleansers are never a good thing for IBS - they virtually always contain harsh stimulant laxatives.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Natural... new
      #246911 - 02/17/06 05:31 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

NOTE: Because something is all "natural" Does NOT imply it is safe to use...alot of natural herbs/plants/substances can also be harmful to the body. Take Senna for instance...this can wreak havoc on the intestines!!!

If it is not making you feel better/making you feel worse than before, I would stop taking it.

Re: Natural... new
      #246950 - 02/17/06 08:25 AM
Naturapanic

Alright , well, this is most enlightening.
Wow.

Well basically, this is where I am.
I today feel worse than I have in so long.
I had pretty much taken hold of IBS, until this last week.
I stopped the cleanse last night.
The cleanse had Paranil Pills, a Fiber drink, and Tea.
I stopped last night by not having the tea.
I had the Fiber drink in the morning, so it has almost been 24 hours since I took in any of the cleanse.

Current condition, c, worse it has been in so long.
I went back to what helped yesterday.
Benefiber three times a day, Acidophillus three times a day.
I even took TWO Fibercon last night, and Two more this morning.
I had a horrible trip to the bathrom this morning, some came out, but not much.
I only was on the cleanse 12 days.

In case you wanted to know, this cleanse had sienna and psyllium.

I have three follow up questions
1) When I begin the cleanse, the first half, six days, I felt some benefit. Then, from the sixth day forward, I felt worse each day. Is this sequence normal for a cleanse. I would have thought if the cleanse were not to work, I would have felt worse to begin, not better. Is this a common sequence of events? I simply want to be certain this is to blame.

2) How cand I, and how long, until I back to how I was pre Dr. N? I started yesterday taking Benefiber thrre times and Acidophillus three times. I did not take the tea at night, I did have the pills and fiber drink in the AM. I even had Fibercon last night and this morning. Today will be my first day completly off the cleanse, and sofar, I do not feel any improvement over the last couple days.
I only took this for 12 days, only 11 full days, so what is a good timeframe for recovery from it?
Am I screwed up for the long haul, weeks, possibly more than this?
In other words, am I set back for an indefinite long period, or since the duration of the cleasne was short, in a few days should I be doing dandy?

3) Since I am C, should I take Fibercon, or have I taken enough?
THANK YOU so much for informing me.
Did you know a I was told to do this by a health care professional, if not for you, I'd be LOST.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#246994 - 02/17/06 01:02 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Hey there,

not sure I can be of much help answering your questions...I have never taken a colon cleanse before, so I do not know how long it would take to get back to normal..but if you search this board and just type in cleanse, you get alot of discussions about it, here is one: web page

I can't believe a health care professional told you to take a cleanse!! Are you normally a C? Since you have been off your regular fibre for so long I would ease into it a little, otherwise you may get cramping...usually takes me a few days to get back into the swing of things after a trip or something that messes up my intestines...though I find benefibre really helps me go!!

Hope things get better for you soon!

#246997 - 02/17/06 01:26 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks for the links.
I am quite concerned all the progress I achieved has been destroyed.
The bottom line is, I started off getting a cramp, but going, then I ended with no cramp and not going, are these common symptoms of a cleanse gone bad?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Naturapanic / cleanses new
      #247016 - 02/17/06 03:40 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I second the comment that just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's not dangerous for IBS. Just think of all the foods that are natural/health foods but dangerous for you.

Anyway, I have told you this already over email, but I just thought I'd post it on the boards for the benefits of other readers.

In response to this question:

Quote:

1) When I begin the cleanse, the first half, six days, I felt some benefit. Then, from the sixth day forward, I felt worse each day. Is this sequence normal for a cleanse. I would have thought if the cleanse were not to work, I would have felt worse to begin, not better. Is this a common sequence of events? I simply want to be certain this is to blame.

Well, I think you can be pretty certain. And yes, this sequence is, I would imagine, pretty normal for a cleanse. It's all about understanding the nature of IBS.

Here's why: Basically, spasms in the colon cause IBS-C just as much ast they cause IBS-D. For IBS-D the spasms cause D, while for IBS-C the spasms cause the colon to sieze up and cause C (whether it's C or D really just depends on the individual person). Make sense? Well, basically with a cleanse, you might be getting rid of all the stuff that's inside you, making it look like it's helping your C, but you're really just CAUSING SPASMS. Which is probably why you quickly ended up with even worse C again - your gut is reacting to the spasms and seizing up. So it seemed like it was working for the first few days because you were having BMs, but really your gut was spasming, and once it slowed down a little a few days in, your colon seized up - not surprisingly, worse than it was before - causing C.

The IBS GI-system is like a hyperactive child. Everything you do to help your IBS should have the aim of calming it down. Cleanses do just the opposite - they get it all riled up and excited... which might make your bowels move initially, but they're only moving because your gut is spasming, not because your IBS is stabilizing, and you end up with even worse C after.

CLEANSES ARE BAD FOR IBS. Period.
Calling it "a cleanse gone bad" is redundant because there's no such thing as a "cleanse gone WELL" for IBS...!

I wouldn't say you've done permanent harm, but you've probably set yourself back a little (or a lot), which is a shame since you were doing so well

Now you just have to work at re-stabilizing yourself - and you know how to do it since you started along the process of doing it once before. Now you just have to do it again after this (major) setback. Keep up with the probiotic and the Benefiber and eat as SAFELY as possible - if there ever was a time when you didn't cheat at all, this should be it. Give your gut a chance to recover!! Basically, go easy on yourself. (And I mean, really easy, ok? )

Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by retrograde (02/17/06 03:43 PM)

Great post, Laurel. -nt- new
      #247022 - 02/17/06 04:07 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 596 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6232

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review