All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
CIIP Disease
      #24445 - 10/26/03 12:15 AM
sheila anne

Reged: 10/25/03

Chronic Ideopathic Intestinal Pseudo-Obstruction: I was diagnosed with this a few years ago, after running the gauntlet of tests, medications and misdiagnosis, incl IBS, for 3 years before that. I am new to the message boards (though I do get the newsletter and have bought the recipe book).

Is there anyone out there with CIIP or familiar with it? It is rare and considered the most serious of the gastro disorders so info and treatment is scarce. I do everything I can with diet including most on your website but not eating at all is the only truly effective remedy, which obviously is not good. Beyond that I am on pain medication long term -- Vicodin -- also not good, but better than morphine which CIIP patients are usually prescribed. I am open to any suggestions that may be out there and especially would love to share experiences and ideas with anyone else suffering from this.

Your website and materials are great; the moral support alone has encouraged me to forge on. Thx, Sheila Anne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CIIP Disease new
      #24469 - 10/26/03 01:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome! I am not familiar with this disorder, but I'll try to see what I can find and add info to the glossary. One thing I'm wondering about is whether the hypno program would help you for the pain. That might let you cut back on the Vicodin, which could help overall. There is the hypno program for IBS but also a new one coming out for chronic pain that has had great results in the trials. I can try and post info on that for you.

Things like acupunture and yoga could also really help, and certainly not hurt. They might not address the underlying pathology but they could certainly make symptoms and the quality of life much better for you (like the diet). Strong peppermint tea could help too - it's a pain killer and relaxant, and could make you just plain feel better, with no harm done.

Please keep posting and we'll see if we can get you some good ideas!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24475 - 10/26/03 01:23 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

If there is a problem with reflux, wouldn't peppermint tea bother it?

Yes - peppermint tea can trigger reflux -nt- new
      #24484 - 10/26/03 02:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24503 - 10/26/03 11:19 PM
sheila anne

Reged: 10/25/03

Heather, Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I have been using the peppermint tea and yoga, which is somewhat helpful. I am interested in the hypnosis option and look forward to the release of the new CD you mentioned for pain mgmt. Acupuncture is something else I have not looked into but will persue. I am used to pain everyday now and have learned to accommodate it my life (that involved a lot of restructuring), but sometimes it is just so bad and ongoing that I loose my perspective completely." Anything that would allow me to not just dope myself up on drugs would be a great help. So anything you suggest is worth a try. P.S. Chronic Ideopathic Intestinal Pseudo-Obstruction is listed under rare diseases in the med books, sometimes referred to as Pseudo-obstruction. It was mentioned but not elaborated upon by the Dr in England whose paper appeared on this message board earlier this year. That might be a source to check. Have a good week, Sheila Anne

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1316

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review