All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sand or anyone who can help!!!!
      #243141 - 01/31/06 12:57 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I had one good day since I've been trying to stay safe as far as eating is concerned. Yesterday, I went I swear after every morsel I ate. Not D but still if you add up all the times I went, I went a ton yesterday! I often wonder, where it all comes from. It's not like I eat a lot!

Yesterday I had cereal with soy milk with herbal tea. I had 2 slices of soy pizza for lunch. For dinner I had a few slices of a roasted chicken with no skin. A small helping of stove top, corn stuffing made with soy butter. A banana. Lots of tea, peppermint, fennel etc. I also had a tremendous amount of gas again.

Today, I had to work so I took two Immodium in the morning. I had a banana, a plain bagel and a safe type vegan cookie. I still went after the Immodium and still have gas. I'm wondering now if I have some type of bug or parasite! I just don't get it!

For Sand, how long did it take for you to reduce the frequency of your BM's? I just can't stand going so much all the time.

Thanks,
Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sand or anyone who can help!!!! new
      #243154 - 01/31/06 01:20 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi Sandy,

I'm sorry things haven't settled for you yet.

I haven't read your previous posts so forgive me if I repeat advice already given. I've been around the boards a long time but am here much more sporadically since my second child arrived!

There is nothing wrong with the things you ate providing you are stable.

I would suggest sticking to Heather's list of "what to eat when you can't eat anything at all foods (eg, english muffins, sourdough bread,pretzels,etc.) until things settle and then work in the things like soy milk, soy butter, cookies etc.

You need to break the cycle first before incorporating the other foods. Soy milk can set me off in the middle of an attack but when I'm stable it's absolutely fine.

After a few days of BTC foods your BM frequency should have reduced greatly and then you can slowly and carefully incorporate the other foods.

BTW, do you take a Soluble Fiber supp?

Good Luck
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Thanks Kerri, Yes I take Acacia (m) new
      #243170 - 01/31/06 02:08 PM
Sandyg

about 3tsp a day. I used to take fibercon. I just bought some probiotics, "primal defense" and see if that helps. I've taken them before but that brand.

After reading some stuff, I see that soy can be a problem especially incorporating too much too fast. I had the "stinky gas" post too as I've had trouble with it also.

I think what I'll do is what you said, Stick to the stabilizing diet of sour dough bread and pretzels etc until I can get back to normal!

Thanks and I'll keep you posted!
Sandy

PS I have two boys ages, 7 and 4 and they keep me hopping! What ages are your children? (I assume the youngest is a newborn!) Congrats!

#243197 - 01/31/06 04:12 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I stopped going after every bite pretty quickly - I'd say within a few days to a week. I got stuck at 3 or 4 times in quick succession for quite a while - at least a month - but I could kind of plan for that.

I was a terrible coward about food when I first started out. I didn't do the What To Eat When You Can't Eat Anything Diet as Kerry suggests, but it took me months to try mayonnaise or Smart Balance Light or any store-bought sweets (I still only eat soy and rice ice cream and Duncan Hines cake mix as store-bought sweets). I have yet to attempt soy pizza. It took me ages to attempt a bagel and I still consider them an occasional food rather than a staple. Basically, if it wasn't in Heather's EFI and it wasn't on the Recipe Board, I didn't eat it for a long, long, long time. And I was cautious even about those recipes as far as fat went for a long time. I now consider myself very fat tolerant, but in the beginning I avoided it as much as possible.

Breakfast was a problem for a long time - my tummy is incredibly touchy then. I spent a lot of time eating dry Chex and corn pops mixed. Discovering applesauce with acacia as a morning starter opened things up a little, but I still do best with a very low fat neutral breakfast - lately I've been eating Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread - it's low fat and has pretty much nothing but soluble fiber and sugar in it. I have to coax my digestion into getting up and running with simple foods first thing in the morning.

I know this sounds terribly boring, but it really wasn't. One thing I discovered was that what Heather says about spicy food not bothering most IBSers was absolutely true for me. I could eat her Italian Tuna Lemon Sandwich, Guacamole, Smoky Eggplant Hummus, and Barbecue Pizza almost from the beginning, despite their spices and IF.

I've really rambled on, but here are three things I'd consider key:

- Super-loading on SF - at least a 2 to 1 ratio of SF to IF+protein for quite a while. And that's without counting my SFS
- Avoiding store-bought and restaurant-bought stuff for quite a while. It was largely fear - I just didn't feel confident reading labels - but in retrospect I think it helped
- Fear of fat

Also there's one thing that's kind of idiosyncratic to me, but that you might consider. I cannot tolerate whole wheat at all. I'm not sure about other whole grains, but in general I avoid them, even in small amounts. For example, I won't buy Whole Foods Sourdough bread because one of the ingredients is whole wheat flour.

I hope some of this helps. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

GREAT advice! new
      #243236 - 01/31/06 07:13 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

- Super-loading on SF - at least a 2 to 1 ratio of SF to IF+protein for quite a while. And that's without counting my SFS
- Avoiding store-bought and restaurant-bought stuff for quite a while. It was largely fear - I just didn't feel confident reading labels - but in retrospect I think it helped
- Fear of fat

This is really good advice, and it definitely described me in the first year or so of being on the diet. I am D also and I definitely had that time of "anything I put in my mouth sends me to the bathroom!"

I've been on the diet for about 2.5 years now. I still don't eat out at restaurants very often and hardly ever add fat to anything, but I have expanded my diet considerably - I'm much more tolerant to IF than I used to be (especially if I mash or puree it, I can really eat most things) and I find that I don't need as much SF in the SF:IF ratio as I used to

...but for those just starting out (especially D's) this is really good advice!

Thanks Sand... new
      #243239 - 01/31/06 07:23 PM
Sandyg

You know your post got me thinking....I have always eaten whole grain, whole wheat breads, rolls etc. I never thought it was a problem for me, I mean it never used to be, even after IBS, but lately my stomach is so sensitive to everything. Sunday I made multi grain waffles for my family with real maple syrup. I ate about 1 1/2 waffles and a few slices of turkey bacon. I think that was part of my problem. I'll try and lay off wheat products for a bit and see if that helps. I bought some sour dough bread tonight at the store. So when I go to eat an IF, eat twice as much of SF first be it a fiber supplement like Acacia or bread or whatever right? I've been really afraid of IF for awhile now even before this last bout. I used to love fruit and veggies so much and now they strike fear in me. If I'm going to have them, (after I get more stable) make sure I have lots of SF first right?

Thanks for all your help. I know I have to be more patient too! To not be running to the bathroom so much will be a big improvement!
Sandy

Wheat, GI, celiac, turkey bacon, 2xSF, pancakes, grapes new
      #243323 - 02/01/06 08:32 AM
Sand

Well, wheat and whole wheat are two different things. I tolerate wheat perfectly, but not whole wheat. I know in an earlier post you said you had a colonoscopy to rule out gluten intolerance/celiac, but that doesn't really do it as far as I know - you need bloodwork and/or an endoscopy. I would definitely say take a look at the tests/conditions Heather says you need to consider and make sure you've had them all. I'm still a little concerned about your earlier comment that you feel you got worse when you started on Heather's diet - that always makes me think about gluten problems and celiac disease is nothing to fool around with.

Assuming you don't have wheat problems, try Kree's Super Low Fat Pancakes - use all wheat flour, no whole wheat flour. They're yummy and super tummy soothing.

For me, turkey bacon was a 6-months down the road food. I don't know if it's still relatively high fat or if the curing bothers me, but for me turkey bacon equals serious burbling. I'll use it now for flavoring, but always buried in SF.

My approach at the beginning was twice as much SF as IF+protein NOT counting my SFS. In other words, twice as much SF FOOD. For a while I ate a handful of pretzels before every single lunch.

It takes time, but my tolerance did improve. I know I won't heal from IBS, but I do believe that the longer I go without my gut in an uproar the better able it is to regulate itself. I have a bowl of grapes sitting on my kitchen counter and once I get past lunch (so I have a fair amount of food in my system), I can walk in and shove a couple in my mouth - without eating SF immediately beforehand. But it took me more than 6 months to get to that point.

HTH. Take care. And make sure someone has checked you for gluten intolerance/celiac.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#255910 - 04/03/06 09:34 AM
Malinowska

Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Los Angeles

Hello!
Soy is not as healthy as you think... It has to be "fermented" to be good at all.
I am allergic to soy, perhaps you are too. That really makes you [censored].

Check these out:
And also the rest of www.mercola.com. I'm doing his no-grain diet and all my stomachproblems disappeared!!!

http://www.mercola.com/2004/aug/4/fermented_soy.htm
http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

This is fermented soy products:
Natto
Miso
Tempeh
Soy sauces
Fermented tofu and soymilk (Make sure it's fermented, they are sold unfermented too).

So are you on Heather's diet? At all? -nt- new
      #255948 - 04/03/06 11:50 AM
Sand

--------------------

Re: So are you on Heather's diet? At all? -nt- new
      #256131 - 04/04/06 07:53 AM
Malinowska

Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Los Angeles

I tried Heathers diet, and it is helpful in a lot of ways, great recepies, but I have read so many books about nutrition and find that Dr mercola seems to know a lot. So I trust him, and it works for me.
I actually had another post on here that said "how I was cured" and I described my diet. That post is gone!!!!
I guess someone didn't like that you actually could get cured. Or I'm just blind. Let me know if you see it.

You're links aren't working new
      #256159 - 04/04/06 10:03 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Would soy yogurt be suitable?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Never mind new
      #256162 - 04/04/06 10:07 AM
Augie

I didn't realize you were claiming to cure IBS. I don't think that is possible.

I need to reevaluate what the heck I'm doing.

--------------------
~ Beth

I deleted it - there is no "cure" for IBS and I'm not new
      #256164 - 04/04/06 10:11 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

a huge fan of some of the mercola information. This board has really clear guidelines up-front about its focus on the IBS diet, and I'm pretty lenient about that, but when posts just totally contradict IBS dietary info and claim IBS cures at the same time, I can't permit them.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Anyone have any thoughts on why IBS can't be cured? new
      #256175 - 04/04/06 10:30 AM
Augie

I still want to believe it may be...one day. Or is that just wishful, desparate hoping?

--------------------
~ Beth

Of course. I have thoughts on almost everything. (m) new
      #256180 - 04/04/06 10:43 AM
Sand

Whether they're good thoughts is another matter, of course.

First, I don't think IBS is just one "disease" - I think it's a bundle of similar illnesses. I think that's why Heather's approach works for so many people with IBS, but may not work for everyone. (I have to admit I still have a hard time accepting this because Heather's approach worked so miraculously for me.)

Second, we don't really understand what causes IBS. It seems to me that researchers sort of think it seems to have something to do with serotonin, but that's a pretty vague basis for a cure. And if that's the case, then what do we make of things like probiotics seeming to help?

Third, I think the illnesses we call IBS are malfunctions of a normal process, rather than an external disease. That means you can't just go in with guns blazing and eradicate a bacteria or parasite, you have to nudge the body back into working right without nudging it too far in the other direction. That's tricky.

So, yup, I have thoughts. Will it be cured anytime soon? I don't know.

--------------------

Re: Of course. I have thoughts on almost everything. (m) new
      #256182 - 04/04/06 10:51 AM
Augie

Thoughts are thoughts, not good or bad! Thank you for sharing yours with us, Sand. I really respect your opinions and thoughts....they give me something to consider that I may not have thought of before.

I still have to hope a cure may be possible one day...just for my own sanity. Even if they are probably delusional.

--------------------
~ Beth

It's a dysfunction, not a disease - closest thing to a cure new
      #256203 - 04/04/06 12:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

would be something that makes your body function normally when it is prone (by definition, if you have IBS) to dysfunction. Closest thing to this in existence so far is gut-directed hypnotherapy, which seems to physically change the way the gut acts, and the way the gut interacts with the brain. Results on trial patients have lasted at least five years, and are still being tracked.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

AUGIE/BETH - get the tapes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #256206 - 04/04/06 12:23 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

You asked for a cure and Heather is giving the closest thing she knows... the one thing you haven't tried!!!!!?????!!!!!

DO IT!!!

gosh if you can't afford it... well... email me for heaven's sake!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3469

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review