All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
soy margerines
      #24192 - 10/22/03 05:53 PM
Gail1

Reged: 09/04/03
Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada

Hi everyone, I have checked other posts on margerines and found that there are some out there that we can use. I found one at Safeway here in Calgary but need to ask a question about it. This one is made with soy oil and I am not sure if that would be safe,(it has 6g of fat for a serving) What are the ones done in the States made of, and can they be bought at a walmart and in Reno? (my husband will be in Reno tonight. Thanks Gail

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: soy margerines new
      #24239 - 10/23/03 10:16 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - What you want to find is a non-hydrogenated margarine from soy oil. Spectrum and Soy Garden are two brands I know of, and they usually have to be bought at health food stores. I'm honestly not sure about WalMart.

The fat content for these margarines will still be very high - they are, after all, nothing but oil. But you're eating low fat for IBS, not fat free, which means the fats you do eat have to be heart-healthy, monounsaturated, and have essential fatty acids. Non-hydrogenated soy oils are a much better option here than any other solid fat.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24258 - 10/23/03 01:01 PM
kiks

Reged: 08/19/03

Heather (or anyone)--
What about "Veggie Butter" made by Galaxy? It's low fat and dairy free... is this safe? I actually like the taste of it on toast. Do you think it can be used in recipes?

#24260 - 10/23/03 01:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Galaxy is a good brand, but I haven't seen Veggie Butter. What's in it? If it can be used in recipes it will say so on the label. Spectrum, for example, is great for baking but you cannot use it to fry things (and the label says so). Soy Garden works fine for anything. See what the Veggie Butter label says...and let me know so I can try it!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 943 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 668

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review