All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question RE Acacia for a 2 year old....
      #241413 - 01/25/06 08:48 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My daughter suffers from terrible chronic constipation. When she does pass stool, there's blood streaks from the fissures and tearing. It's awful. So, even with feeding her as much fruits and veggies as humanly possible, including prune juice, she's still having trouble. So I've started her with Acacia. I started with 1/4 tsp for a week and I'm up to 1/2 tsp with her. Still no relief. Any ideas on what the maximum dose should be? She's about 26 lbs.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question RE Acacia for a 2 year old.... new
      #241430 - 01/25/06 09:20 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I remember reading that the amount of fiber recommended for a child is the child's age plus five grams.

Okay, I just double-checked with the American Academy of Pediatrics website and that's right, but the recommendation is for children three years and up. AAP, Fiber .

I'd like to see Heather weigh in on this one, but in the meantime ... new
      #241487 - 01/25/06 11:21 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Well, if you go by weight, then...

The maximum dose on my Acacia package is 4 level Tablespoons (30 grams of SF). Let's say that's for an adult and an adult weighs around 100 pounds. (I know, me neither, but I'm being conservative.) Since your daughter weighs about 1/4 of that, then her maximum would be about 1 Tablespoon (7.5 grams).

That fits with Maria's "age plus 5 grams" rule. I think you're wise to go up very slowly and with any luck her problems will resolve before you get to a Tablespoon. If she has IBS, you'll probably need to get up to a high enough dosage so the Acacia is providing an SF buffer for all the IF she needs. This may be an obvious question, but have you tried feeding her in the SF first, then IF pattern?

I hope the Acacia helps with this, Alicia. As miserable as it is to suffer with this myself, I imagine it must be a thousand times worse to watch your child suffer with it - especially when she's so little.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

This dosage info is accurate... new
      #241514 - 01/25/06 12:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but I'd sure want your child's pediatrician to be aware of the fiber supplementation and to be running some tests. Hope you get some help with this, Alicia.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thanks - Her Doctor is aware of this.... new
      #241562 - 01/25/06 03:28 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

but I will definitely mention it again next time we're in. He basically said to get as much IF into her as possible. I'm doin' my best!
As for the dosage - I'm only at half a teaspoon right now. I hope that by the time we get to a teaspoon we'll see a difference.

I really don't think she has IBS - she doesn't have any other symptoms. She's a happy, busy, active child. She's just a little backed up.

Thanks to all who responded.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 367 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1050

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review