All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Colostrum
      #24139 - 10/21/03 10:02 PM

Unregistered

Hi

I was reading in"Canada's Healthy living Guide" magazine about colostrum from cows and how it seems that it is supposed to help IBS and other problems.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to take it and how it has worked for them. My accupunturist had sold me some but I hadn't taken as few days before I had to go to the emergency room for other IBS problems so I stopped taking every pill for a while and am now very carefull what I reintroduce and how many pills I take.

One of my concerns is that it is from cow's and that makes me worry if it contains anything that we should avoid like some sort of animal protien since colostrum is considered 'first milk'.

If anyone has any info on this please let me know. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colostrum new
      #24177 - 10/22/03 11:27 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hi, fellow Canadian. I share your concerns here. I've never heard of using cow's colostrum. Human colostrum is full of antibodies and other essentials for newborns. I assume cows milk is designed for calves. Considering the lactose, cows protein, casein I would seriouslt think twice on this one. It's like our GI telling us to eat tons of whole wheat - BAD IDEA.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#24196 - 10/22/03 07:49 PM

Unregistered

One of the producers of the colostrum is "Health Concerns" a chinese traditional formula. They call the producet 'colostoplex'. It's company is in Oakland California.

I haven't gone on-line to do any research about it so far.

#24238 - 10/23/03 10:12 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - there isn't any logical reason why this would help IBS. The product has been around for years, and it's usually marketed as helpful (or even a cure) for a laundry list of problems. I personally wouldn't touch anything dairy - it's a million times more likely to make you worse instead of better.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24287 - 10/23/03 08:13 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I had a very healthy couple of years, where I thought I'd gotten past my ibs. I was doing the following: eating no dairy, no frozen food, no raw food, getting monthly acupuncture and taking 2 supplements from Health Concerns, one called source qi which is ginseng and other warming herbs and Colostroplex, which is their brand name for colostrum.

I have ibs d, and it was under control while taking colostrum for several years. I believed at the time that it helped, though maybe I was well despite it? Who can really say?

Unfortunately for reasons still unknown, my health fell apart after several great years, and I'm currently following Heather's IBS diet.

In any case, I think there has been research done on colostrum and its effect on the gut. It is supposed to be help form solid bowel movements, if youre ibs-c I'd stay away from it. SO, take this for what its worth, a definite maybe of an endorsement from me!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6679

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review