Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tolerable Tea
      #2413 - 03/10/03 07:30 PM
Shawna

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Middle of nowhere in the desert, Ca

Hi guys!
I bought this ginger tea at the grocery store on saturday. I was so excited. The lable talked of digestive health, blah, blah, blah. So, I get it home follow the directions and it tastes like the bar soap I used to get put in my mouth for profanity. Does anyone have any suggestions of flavors(execpt mint) or brands of tea? I am sick to death of water! Help! I need some flavor!
Wanks,

--------------------
SLicK

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tolerable Tea new
      #2415 - 03/10/03 07:40 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Shawna - (nice snapshot--you're the one with dark hair, right?)

Seriously, spearmint and peppermint are my favorites. I mix them together and buy them by the pound at the Health Food Store. It's much cheaper than buying the bags. A pound of peppermint cost me about $9.00 and the spearmint was $13.00/lb. But they last forever. I mix them in a Tupperware big cannister and the rest goes in a zip top bag in the freezer until the cannister is empty. I make a large pot every morning, have a big cup hot then, and throughout the day, keep adding more to my glass with ice.
Have you tried ginger tea? Or how about the peach or the Good Earth teas?

I haven't tried fennel yet, but now that you said it tastes like soap, I don't know if I want to try it!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2417 - 03/10/03 09:36 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
I love your photo, we love dogs! We have two Border Collies; Buddy and Tessa.

I find plain Ginger Tea a bit strong. Twinings makes a nicer lemon and ginger infusion and also a raspberry and ginger infusion.

I like fennel - it smells a bit like licorice. I wasn't too find of it at first but have learnt to love it and sometimes mix it with peppermint.

Chamomile is nice too!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Tolerable Tea-Can I have it hot? new
      #2430 - 03/11/03 02:14 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Pardon my ignorance, but i thought hot foods were a trigger for ibsers. i know hot foods send me off! (cold as well) can I have hot tea? if i can, then i feel gipped! lol. i always drink my peppermint tea luke warm

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Fennel new
      #2439 - 03/11/03 06:17 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

speaking of the fennel - it looks like grains of wheat. Am I supposed to do anything with it before I brew it? And it's supposed to aid gas/bloating? So do I drink it everyday or only when I feel especially inflated?

Re: Fennel new
      #2449 - 03/11/03 11:05 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You can brew the fennel seeds whole. If you want to be fancy you can slightly crush them with a mortar and pestle before you brew them. This will make the tea a bit stronger.

You can drink it every day, all day long, and if you're at all prone to bloating and gas this is probably best. If it's just an occasional problem then you can drink as needed. Fennel is an overall digestive aid so it's not a bad idea to drink it regularly - or alternate with peppermint, ginger, anise, chamomile, whatever you prefer!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2451 - 03/11/03 11:09 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Heat, both external (like a hot water bottle) and internal (like drinking hot tea) is a muscle relaxant, and it's usually helpful for IBS. Cold, especially ice cold, makes your muscles contract, so having icy drinks (especially on an empty stomach) can trigger attacks in susceptible people. If you have a problem with both hot and cold, then I think what you're doing by sticking to lukewarm things is best.

When hot foods have set you off, have they been safe foods? Or were they triggers that might have set you off at any temperature? If you think it might have been the food itself, try a hot cup of fennel or peppermint tea on an empty stomach and see how you do. It should feel very relaxing, and help any digestive problems you're having. But definitely trust your own body here...

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2461 - 03/11/03 12:58 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

wow, and i always thought that hot foods would set me off. lol. im glad though, i hate waiting for my rice and baked potatos to cool. i ate hot oatmeal when i got an attack. i think it just mightv e been the oatmeal though, it never really does quite agree with me

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#2524 - 03/11/03 07:56 PM
Shawna

Hailey is my "baby." She's a Siberian husky and will be a year old at the end of April. She's a great companion!

--------------------
SLicK

#2526 - 03/11/03 07:59 PM
Shawna

Did I write Fennel? If I did, I meant ginger.....and yes, I have the dark hair and no whiskers!

--------------------
SLicK

Re: Tolerable Tea - my mistake!!! new
      #2531 - 03/11/03 08:12 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Shawna - No, you were right. Guess it was "Sharon's head's up her butt day". Sorry.

(BTW, I knew which one you were!)

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Tolerable Tea - my mistake!!! new
      #2532 - 03/11/03 08:16 PM
Shawna

We all have those days!
And sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between her and me.....we look alot alike. LOL. Sometimes I think she has IBS too. It's an on running joke between me and my fiance.

--------------------
SLicK

#3467 - 03/20/03 02:31 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If you add sugar to your tea--does it take away some of the tea's medicinal qualities?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3469 - 03/20/03 02:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

No, it shouldn't. I prefer to add honey, just because I think it tastes better and honey has antioxidants. But plain table sugar (sucrose) is usually very tolerable for IBS, so try it with your tea and see what you think!

- Heather

--------------------

the most relaxing tea ever! new
      #3474 - 03/20/03 03:00 PM
junipertre3

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: Chicago, IL.

hello all, i know it's been awhile. i've quit smoking, it's been six weeks now and i'm feeling pretty good! one thing that has helped me quit is this tea. the brand is traditional medicinals and it's called "nighty night" it has chamomile and passionflower and the smell is so flowery and heavenly and that's exactly how it tastes. just smelling it makes me calm and relaxed. they make my favorite peppermint tea too. i also live off of bigelow green tea with mint. when i need an extra kick i'll drink a cup of numi brand gunpowder green tea. it has caffeine, but not too much and it always makes my belly feel good. just some suggestions...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2801

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review