All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Rachel... new
      #239156 - 01/17/06 10:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I want that so badly. I think about my pain, bloat and C from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed...and no pill, no supplement, nothing has helped. I need to let God have this one...but He doesn't want it either!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Align/Bifantis new
      #239186 - 01/17/06 11:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I saw Align mentioned somewhere else recently, so I got curious and decided to do a little research. Here's what I found out.

Align is a commercial probiotic containing "bifidobacterium infantis 35624", brand name "Bifantis". I assume the numeric designator and brand name means this is a proprietary strain of bifidobacterium (not sure how that works if the bacteria is naturally occurring).

The test results are reported to be promising. You can read about them by doing a Search on the Research Library Board for "bifantis" (don't use the quotes). The verbiage indicates that the success rate is as great for Align as it is for Zelnorm and Lotronex. I did not read through the test results on the Align Website, so I do not have the exact improvement numbers for the clinical trials.

I also found some discussion about Align - including comments from people who are taking it - on another IBS Board (here and here ).

Align contains both dairy and soy, although I imagine the amounts of each would be small.

Many probiotics contain bifidobacterium and some even seem to contain b. infantis, so it's not clear to me exactly what the difference is in the 35624 variant. The Align Website does not give information on Colony Forming Units (CFU) which is what other probiotics give on their labels, but one of the IBS Group websites I cite above says that, when asked, the company reports 1 billion CFU per dose.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Hey Sand, have you tried this product? new
      #239195 - 01/17/06 12:19 PM
Augie

Do you take any Probiotic? The fact that it has lactose and soy is sort of making me leery. And it seems like it would be more helpful for D than C folks. Did you get that same impression?

Thanks for your thoughts and for your post!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hey Sand, have you tried this product? new
      #239200 - 01/17/06 12:32 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

No, I don't take any probiotic. Until I totally screwed up my diet, I was doing so well without one that I didn't want to mess with success. I'm hoping to get back there again.

I don't know about the D vs. C. You'd have to look at the clinical trials to know that for sure, although I think there was some discussion of it in the verbal reports. I just didn't pay a lot of attention since I wasn't planning to take it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: How long without an attack to be considered stable? new
      #239295 - 01/17/06 06:25 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

For me stable is not only being without pain, bloating or any of the sexy maladies that plague us, it is also a state of mind in that you can function without having to worry about every bite that you put in your mouth. This is not scientific...simply Rachel-ific...my intention is not to start any controversy.

I think that's a great Rachel-ific thought. Lol. I agree, for me it's more about my state of mind than the length of time since my last attack. We all know our own bodies, and if you feel fairly decent and aren't constantly worrying about what you eat, I would consider it being stable.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#239302 - 01/17/06 07:06 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Congratulations! That's great! I counted myself stable when I no longer had daily attacks, constant pain, or urgency. I accept that IBS can be unpredictable and that I will have an inexplicable attack now and then, but I know that I'll bounce back quicker because I'm taking care of myself better.

#239331 - 01/18/06 05:07 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

Thanks to all who are congratulating me for being stable. I told my husband if I could hear the words " You won the lottery " or " You are now stable " I would take the latter.I agree, I will have a attack at some point but because I have finally broken that cycle I was on for almost a year I am so much stronger health wise and emotional wise. Lisa

I think that IS part of the problem... new
      #239390 - 01/18/06 08:53 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

you cannot allow yourself to dwell on it day in and day out. That alone will cause your tummy to stay in knots!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

How do you just stop that ... new
      #239491 - 01/18/06 12:37 PM
Augie

...when it is built into your personality and the way you've been for so long?

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie, I can't remember if you're doing the hypnotherapy program.. new
      #239560 - 01/18/06 03:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but that's the best thing I've ever seen to break this brain/gut anxiety and worry aspect of IBS.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5769

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review