All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint caps and heartburn
      #23272 - 10/13/03 04:48 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, not too long ago, someone posted about tasting peppermint and having heartburn problems after taking enteric peppermin caps. I now can't find the post (!), but I'm having the same problem and I can't work out why.

I've stopped taking my peppermint caps now because they were causing more problems than they were solving. But, they are suppoed to do you good, so I'd like to work out what the problem is so I can go back on them.

I was trying to take them on an empty stomach as this seems to be what the instructions suggest. However, this was a bit difficult as I eat every couple of hours atm. I found that sometimes I could taste the peppermint afterwards and then I got acid tummy and heartburn. It seemed to come on for sure if I had a big burp or (weirdly) sneezed! But surely the whole of the enteric capsules is that they don't dissolve until they get to your intestines?! I am so stumped.

Any ideas gratefully received! This is bugging me!

Linz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint caps and heartburn new
      #23275 - 10/13/03 05:05 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Linz!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure why this is happening. Hopefully Heather will have some info for you.

In the meantime, here is that old post: web page

Good luck!

#23278 - 10/13/03 05:23 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Linz: I take them with food-because I get heartburn too-I'm hoping Heather will tell us this is OK! For heartburn-try chamomile tea-i swear by it!!! helps me on my bad days too! Good luck, Mary

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#23310 - 10/13/03 11:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - this is definitely not supposed to happen!
If you can, try taking one cap on a totally empty stomach about 1 hour before you eat. See how you do. Then the next day try taking one right before or with a meal, and see how that compares. I'm starting to think that there is some individual variation here with heartburn and having the caps alone or with food. Personally, I take them either way and find them equally effective, and neither causes heartburn (but I'm not prone to reflux either). Since maryah has found that she doesn't get heartburn when taking them with food, try that. I'm hoping that with a bit of trial and error you'll find which way is tolerable for you. The caps should effective for IBS regardless, so don't worry about that.

Let me know how this goes...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#23442 - 10/15/03 06:51 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Linz,
I had this problem and spoke to the pharmacist about it. The doctor had me on Mintec, which apparantly aren't that good for heartburn, so they recommended Colpermin which I take now and have no problems with. I do find occasionally I get heartburn but tend to put it down to eating too much!
I take one every day an hour before breakfast and I find that enough, otherwise I seem to get looser stools - the oil?

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

BritSarah new
      #23518 - 10/15/03 03:36 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm on the Colpermin already, so it can't be that. I think I'l start taking one a day before breakfast like you. I didn't seem to have as much problems with that pill than later in the day.

Thanks. Linz

#23544 - 10/15/03 08:16 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I've had some trouble if I take the peppermint with food or after eating. In fact, one night I woke up with dreadful heartburn and could taste the peppermint and I had to stay up for several hours because I couldn't lay down again! But even on an empty stomach, I've definitely had problems with tasting the peppermint, which wouldn't happen if it were dissolving later on when it's supposed to, right? <sigh> So I guess no more peppermint for me. Or, I'll keep taking them and just ignore the side effects...at least they're not dangerous or anything .

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 781 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review