All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
This peppermint thing has confused me.......
      #227538 - 11/26/05 10:14 PM
Lummi Beader

Reged: 08/25/05
Loc: Bellingham, WA

Hi all,

I have IBS, with mostly C and sometimes D, but always pain. I also have Acid Reflux. I drink peppermint tea and it does not bother me yet. I have read the post where others have said that they can not tolerate peppermint.

Any one have any suggestions or comments? I am really trying to understand the problems. I seem to feel much better when I drink the tea.

--------------------
Honor the Creator... Seek peace!!!

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Peppermint! new
      #227541 - 11/26/05 11:49 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there!

Okay, so the deal with peppermint tea is that peppermint is a natural anti-spasmodic. That's what it calms down cramps and can help with D.
Because of this anti-spasmodic property, it can cause reflux in some people, especially those people who are prone to it.
I, for example, am IBS-D all the way but I also suffer with reflux. I find that peppermint tea really does help my stomach but lately, as my reflux has gotten worse, it does give me problems sometimes.
If it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you do notice that your reflux is particularly bad one day, I would maybe avoid the peppermint tea or have it in moderation or maybe not make it quite as strong.

I still drink it because it's worth it for me, but if it started to really bother me I may avoid it.

Hope this helps!

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: This peppermint thing has confused me....... new
      #227612 - 11/27/05 01:13 PM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Lummibeader,

Hi! Like Stephie said peppermint is an anti spasmodic. The problem is that it stops good spasms along with the bad. The good spasms include the one that happens between your stomache and esophigus that keeps down the stomache acid. Like Stephie said if your prone to acid reflux (it seems alot of us with IBS are)you have to becareful not to cause more acid reflux while your tring to help your IBS. In my case that means cutting out the peppermint tea and going with the alternatives.

Love,

Jamie

#227636 - 11/27/05 05:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think the others did a super job of explaining how peppermint works, so I won't do it again, but I wanted to add that everyone is different. If peppermint makes you feel better, and doesn't worsen your reflux, then I don't see any reason to stop using it. I had terrible reflux problems back in high school, and of all things, mint seemed to help it, not aggravate it... I sucked on mint candies all the time to soothe my stomach. So... who knows? I think this one case where you can just stick with what works.

#227640 - 11/27/05 06:59 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I have reflux and the peppermint caps played heck with that problem. But the peppermint tea doesn't bother me at all. Frequently I mix peppermint and fennel in the same teaball with great relief if I'm gassy or crampy. I've heard it said around here that the only thing consistant with IBS folks it that we are totally inconsistant!!! Good luck...

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

I'd agree with everyone - the rule here is that if peppermint helps you, use it! new
      #227650 - 11/27/05 08:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

If it aggravates your heartburn, don't use it. Some people with GERD do just fine with peppermint, others don't, and there's no way to tell without trying. Some folks can tolerate mint in all forms, some can only do peppermint tea, some can only do the peppermint oil capsules.

All that matters is what works for you!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#227797 - 11/28/05 02:43 PM
Lummi Beader

Peppermint and fennel??? Is that the same fennel as is found in spice racks??? I have fennel that is used in cooking which is a dried herb. I thought of putting it in my tea but did not think that it would work that way??? How much do you use?? Please respond quickly because I am going to try it.

--------------------

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

#227799 - 11/28/05 02:47 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

fennel tea is made from the seeds - i think some people make tea from the seeds you buy as spices, but it's also sold as tea proper, loose or in bags. i've liked celebration herbals' tea. heather also sells a version that's supposed to be great.

fennel's recommended for bloating and gas. i also (and this, i believe, is rare) happen to really like the taste.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: This peppermint thing has confused me......thanks. new
      #227801 - 11/28/05 02:48 PM
Lummi Beader

Hello friends,

Thank you for helping me out with this one. I am really trying to work at learning all this and getting better or at least stable. I just wanted all of you who posted to know that I appreciate all the advice and remarks that all of you made.

--------------------

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 679 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 997

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review