All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anxiety
      #224 - 01/31/03 12:13 PM
Andrea

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Va

In all honesty, I think that the majority of my IBS is caused by anxiety. I had an episode where I was in severe pain and ever since then I have lived in fear that this would happen again. I worry so much that I will have an attack that I do. Does anyone else have this problem? I would really, really appreciate any suggestions on how to manage this!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hypnotherapy is a great option new
      #227 - 01/31/03 12:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Hypnotherapy can be extremely helpful for anxiety related IBS attacks. There is detailed info about this at http://www.firstyearibs.com/day7learnlive2.html

There are actually self-hypnosis tapes available specifically for IBS, and they have terrific success rates.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Anxiety new
      #228 - 01/31/03 12:42 PM
MaryKay

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Colorado, USA

Hi Andrea,
I definitely share your problem! I used to be so bad that I couldn't attend my children's concerts etc. because I would have anxiety attacks. My doctor prescribed zoloft, but I am sure it was making my D even worse, so I only took it for a couple months. Now I take SamE, which is a natural supplement found in stores, and along with other things I'm doing differently, it helps so much! I don't feel anywhere near the anxiety I used to, and I can attend functions again! Good luck!
Mary Kay

#230 - 01/31/03 12:57 PM
Andrea

Loc: Va

Thanks for the advice! It is so nice to have someone who can relate!

#231 - 01/31/03 02:10 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Andrea - I was a ball of stress before I stopped working. I was so terrified that I would have an attack while teaching that I stopped eating anything except rice before 3:30 p.m. Leaving the classroom was NOT an option for me. What did all this do? Make my symptoms worse. I'm natually a very "anxious" person. The best thing you can do is try to relax. Have you considered yoga or tai chi or other relaxation techniques? It may help in the short and long term. As for worrying about when an attack will come - I swear as soon as I breathe oxygen within a mall I have to run without dignity to a bathroom. Is there something in the air there or is it in my head? Mary Kay - As for your kid's concerts - (I'm a music teacher) sit on the aisle or near the door and excuse yourself if you have to. No one will think it odd. Take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#232 - 01/31/03 02:32 PM
Kathy

Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Andrea: Yeh, same thing. I practice stress reduction whenever possible with some relaxing techniques. It DOESN'T WORK AT WORK! By the time I'm ready to go home I am so paranoid that I am afraid to walk to my car. On the days that I feel really great--BAM! All of a sudden it will hit me with NO WARNING. So by then I am realy paranoid. And so--it goes on and on. It's getting really bad when you have to "plan" on a 10 minute trip just to gas up the car. God! I get so frustrated. So, you are not alone. And no, I don't have any answers--just lots of support.

#239 - 01/31/03 03:58 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Andrea - I have a friend who lives in back of me who has IBS and she gets pain very bad. He doc put her on Nulev Hyoscyam. When the pain starts, you put one on your tongue and let it melt and it pretty much takes care of the pain. Don't know anything else about it except that it tastes like mint. You could try asking your doc about it. Good luck.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 817 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4424

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review