All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I thought... new
      #224078 - 11/10/05 08:50 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

the 25 grams was suggested as a total amount from food. For people who need to take an SFS, is that on top of the 25 grams? We would be getting like 50. That's twice as much as they recommend people get.

I know, Heather has said some countries eat like 70 or something like that. I've just read too much saying too much fiber can cause problems as much as too little.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I thought... new
      #224088 - 11/10/05 09:10 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

People usually don't get 25 g of fiber from food a day. If you look at servings of food, most only have 1-2 g, max maybe 3-4 depending on the food. The gov't recommends getting 25 g of fiber a day from any source. But that's a minimum for people without GI problems!

I did a Google search on too much fiber, and I found the following two sites useful in terms of explaining:

web page

web page

Basically, they recommend no more than 35, but the problem with too much fiber seems to be that too much INSOLUBLE fiber may sweep some minerals out of your system. Adding fiber too fast can cause GI problems, but we all know that from having to up our SFS slowly.

You also have to remember that the recommendations apply to people who do not have GI problems. We need more soluble fiber to help regulate our GI systems than most other people. I don't think getting 20 g of fiber from an SFS and then more fiber from food is a problem as long as your eating a varied enough diet to get all your other nutrients.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Miralax and Acacia in combination new
      #224094 - 11/10/05 09:18 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Hi, Augie! My doc put me on Miralax a month ago, and nothing happened for the first 2 weeks. Then, I started having to go a lot during the day - but I never seemed to get everything out. It's only now - the fourth week - that I'm getting some "regularity."

I also had to play around with my Miralax dosage. I started with a full capful of 17grams, but discovered that when it made me go, I had an upset, gurgly stomach and diarrhea. So, I cut back to half a capful, as per my doc's orders. Now, when I feel gurgly, I skip my dosage for the day. That settles things down and gets me back on track.

I also had to play around with my fiber dosage. I was really gassy and bloated, so I went down from a scoop of citracel to half a scoop. Now I'm at 3/4 of a scoop and building up.

My doc. said that miralax sort of works differently for everyone...you have to play with the dosage to get it right. You may actually need more than a capful a day to get stuff going. But ASK him.

He also told me that if stuff didn't get moving in 2 weeks, I could take ducolax...the suppositories, not the pills. But he cautioned me to ride it out for 2 weeks and to let the miralax work. I was pretty miserable and stayed home from work a bit, but in the end he was right. I'm afraid it just may take time for the meds to work.

Best luck!
sue

Re: I thought... new
      #224174 - 11/10/05 05:52 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Uh, I easily eat 50g fiber in a day. Is there something bad about that?

Kate.

No - this is a good thing... new
      #224339 - 11/11/05 12:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

25-35 grams of fiber a day is the bare minimum. In general, the more fiber you can eat, the better for your overall health. You can go up to 80 grams a day - there are entire Asian countries where this is the average. And in rural Uganda, the average daily fiber intake is 150 grams. So you've still got a way to go....

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Whew! Thanks Heather! new
      #224363 - 11/11/05 01:03 PM
Wind

Usually by the end of lunch, I have consumed over 20g of fiber.

I didn't want to frighten anyone with my fiber intake. Vegetarians, I think, eat more fiber.

I know that a lot of IBS'ers are plant fiber intimidated. Without my food processor and high potency enzymes, I WOULD BE intimidated, TOO. That machine effectively breaks down the fibers making the more soluble/digestible. When I'm stable, I usually average around 50g/day and that is without eating bran.

Note: I don't set out to consume that much fiber, it just naturally happens. I find that in the summer, I consume more than 50g of fiber due to the freshness and availability of more local produce.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Whew! Thanks Heather! new
      #224368 - 11/11/05 01:07 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yep I consume at least 50g a day too, easily. Thanks for clearing that up Heather! (Wow, 150g!! )

You may be on to something with the vegetarian thing, Kate (though I know I was consuming at least very close to that before I cut out meat again). But I mean, pretty much everything vegetarians consume has *some* fiber in it!

Don't fear the fiber folks! hehe

Thanks, Retrograde. new
      #224435 - 11/11/05 05:59 PM
Wind

I doubted that I was the only one that had an "exceptionally high fiber" diet.

Thanks, for sharing/putting my mind at ease.

Fiber actually feels good.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 825 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6836

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review