All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Q. re: how much SF do you estimate you EAT in an average day?
      #222156 - 10/30/05 06:44 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm kind of curious re: how much SF does everyone estimate they actually eat in an average day? (this is excluding SFS)

I actually reduced my SFS because I get more than adequete SF in foods alone.

I hope it eliminates my D-streak. We'll see.

I estimated/calculated that I eat AT LEAST 20g of SF from food in an average/regular day--often more.

Is this abnormal? Is this too much/not enough from food alone? (Note, this excludes IF consumed via food)

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Q. re: how much SF do you estimate you EAT in an average day? new
      #222191 - 10/31/05 01:27 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've never actually worked it out but it's gotta be alot! I find I need the Acacia as well to keep me stable tho.

I read where... new
      #222211 - 10/31/05 06:46 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...if you take too much fiber...like more than 35 grams a day, it actually hurts you more than helps. So, if you are taking 15 grams in the form of Acacia, that only leaves 20 for food. I know I eat about 25 grams fiber total so far...that that would put me up to 40...and I need to eat more than I am in order to gain weight. So, should I keep my Acacia dose low?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Never heard of that! new
      #222266 - 10/31/05 10:01 AM
Linz

I'll check how many grams I'm eating tomorrow if I remember...and I'm happy with how I am.

I've never heard of that either new
      #222281 - 10/31/05 11:40 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

And personally, I think that's crap. I don't remember how much Kandee's taking, but I think she's getting about that much from SFS alone! And she's just an example. I fully believe that some people need more SF than others, just like some need more IF than others (although, of course, everybody needs both of them!).

I'm not sure how much SF I eat in a day... if anyone wants to figure it out, I can rattle off what I ate yesterday, which was pretty representative. Plus I take 6-8g FiberChoice. I figure I'm around 25g/day, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than that on days that I really pig out.

By the way, calories put on weight, not SF. Of course, SF foods tend to be denser in calories, but my point is that you can gain weight by eating more sugar, for example. I still think you need to bake up some of those tasty quick breads and cakes and have them around at all times. It certainly put the pounds back on ME.

Re: I've never heard of that either new
      #222308 - 10/31/05 12:45 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yeah, I really "pig" out, too, Casey--ROTL!!!

I know, having checked, that I actually eat more than 20g of SF. I've been taking 15-18g of Benefiber (pure SF). I think I'll reduce to 6g (or 2T), at night, as a D preventative.
What do you think? I've just had really loose bowels/D/and countess bathroom visits.

I agree with you completely re: excessive CALORIES versus SF putting on weight. I had the same HUGE disagreement with my border. SF foods have the advantage of SATIETY--well, fiber in general is quite satisfying and filling, Lol!

I really like SF root veggies and mushrooms and SF fruits!!!

I'm terrible, but, for example, if I make a high SF soup, I can easily eat 2/3 of the pot (which if one gave it a serving size according to recipe portions would be 4 out of 6 servings).

Lol! Soup nazi. But truly, I just EAT LOTS, and lots of SF.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Q. re: how much SF do you estimate you EAT in an average day? new
      #222316 - 10/31/05 01:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm not good with measurements but today I have eaten 1 serving plus 1T malt o meal, 1 1/2 servings newman pretzels, 2 bananas, 1 luna, 2 large pieces white bread, 6 wild mushrooms, 1 1/2c cooked carrots. Later I will eat 1 ciabatta roll and some fries from last night. So how many grams is that?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Kate
      #222319 - 10/31/05 01:25 PM
Linz

The Benefiber shouldn't really be causing the D. If you want to cut back, I'd only go to 12g (so still a significant dose, but not a high one) or you might actually make yourself worse.

No, this is totally untrue
      #222357 - 10/31/05 05:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You need to get a MINIMUM of 25-35 grams per day, total. But getting more than that is good for you overall health, not bad. There are lots of countries in the world where people average 60-80 grams of fiber per day, and some African countries actually go all the way up to 150 grams per day. Their diet-related disease rates are much, much lower than those in Western countries, and a lot of that is attributable to their fiber intake (as well as all other nutrients they're getting from those plant sources of fiber, and the lack of saturated fats in their diets).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Mmm, soup
      #222358 - 10/31/05 05:17 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Last winter I made myself a weekly pot of potato soup. I wouldn't dare do that now, because although it was nice and filling, I'm sure I'd decimate the pot in 2 days. I love soup. But I was still struggling to eat a year ago; now, well.... heh.

There are certain foods I can't have around the house because I have no self-control around them. Cereal is my biggest "offender". My guts, mind you, LOVE it when I pig out on cereal; all that SF definitely makes 'em happy. My waistline, though... not so much so. LOL!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2872 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5173

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review