All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heat Pads - ** This is not for the squeamish ** new
      #22134 - 09/30/03 05:14 PM
Tim G

Reged: 08/07/03
Loc: NSW, Australia

I have been suffering IBS-D since May which took a nose dive in June and has been an everyday event; today was different.

For the most part I do not suffer with excessive pain associated with my IBS (though on occasion in can be pretty bad!!), but something was suggested by a friend a while back about trying a heat pad.

On a daily basis I am 'aware' of my bowel. Yesterday I was feeling pretty low and it was a coolish day so I used a heat pad on my stomach as a bit of a comforter (I probably re-heated and applied the pad about 8 times in total!).

This morning I got up at the normal time (6am), but have not been plagued by my usual half-dozen bathroom visits and at this time 10am I have had no BM's today. I have had the feeling all morning that I need to go, but there is no urgency and for the first time I have been able to hold.

For those of you that have read my Xanax post you might be attributing this to that, but I have not taken them because I don't want to get hooked. If anything things should be worse today as I was feeling pretty miserable yesterday and indulged myself in Chicken and Chips last night for dinner (Slap, slap).

With all that in mind, my question is 'Has anyone else had any such experience using a heat pad?'

I am using the pad again today, so we'll see what I am like tomorrow before I jump for joy too much...but for today at least *What a relief!!*

Best regards
Tim

--------------------
Tim

-A poor man's Jamie Oliver...without the attitude!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heat Pads - ** This is not for the squeamish ** new
      #22159 - 09/30/03 09:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Tim - well, even though it's a bit of a mystery, this is good news. That has got to be a welcome change for you.

I've had pretty dramatic results in pain reduction from direct, intense heat on my abdomen, and I've had it last through the night and at least partially into the next day. That's probably the closest thing I've had happen to me compared to what you've had happen.

Heat is definitely a great muscle relaxant, and if you've got IBS-D then those GI muscles are contracting too hard and too fast, so you can see why heat would help. There's a page about this here web page

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heat Pads - ** This is not for the squeamish **
      #22195 - 10/01/03 09:32 AM
nursejane

Reged: 09/09/03

Hi Tim,
I have just realized the wonder for heat for my tummy aches!
I am just getting over a stomach bug which just made my IBS-D rear its ugly head terribly. Don't think I've ever had that much pain over the weekend after the stomach virus was gone. I took my Bentyl and laid down with a heating pad on my tummy. It made a wonderful difference within about 30 min. It helped to calm me and my stomach! I felt like I had found a pot of gold!
Janie

The miracle of Heat Pads new
      #22317 - 10/02/03 03:19 PM
Tim G

Reged: 08/07/03
Loc: NSW, Australia

Hi Heather,

Well I've had two good(ish) days now, down from 8-9 bms a day to 2; though I still feel sometimes like welding the toilet to my backside could be a good move:)

Anyway, thought I'd let you know another interesting side effect of the miracle heat pad. I have been applying in between 6-8 times a day for the past few days, and I am finally losing some weight. First day it was about a pound, second day it was two.

This may all be just an interesting coincidence but given that, over the past few days, my diet has not really changed and I am keeping my fluid intake up, I cannot see any other reason for it.

I know this may not work for others, but I would strongly recommend that anyone going through a bad ibs-d run should give it a try. If nothing else it's a good comforter and soothing on the stomach.

Best
Tim

--------------------
Tim

-A poor man's Jamie Oliver...without the attitude!

Re: The miracle of Heat Pads new
      #22322 - 10/02/03 04:44 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

ahhhh, how wonderful are them heating pads I love mine so much, that its practically on me all the time. Its the first thing i put on when i wake up and the last thing i take off before i got to sleep. Infact the only periods i dont wear it is during meals and when i am at school.Heat therapy is just so relaxing and comforting. Yahe the heating pads!!!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: The miracle of Heat Pads-help-burns! new
      #22358 - 10/03/03 07:00 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, I love my heating pad so much and us it all the time I have burns on my belly! My entire abdomin is all brown and splotchy and it is starting to hurt my skin. I keep my heating pad in a pillow case so it is not directly on my skin, I have been forced to turn the heat down a notch because of this. I use skin mosturizer everyday, sometimes twice a day. Anyone have any ideas what I can use to get the discoloartion out???

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2853 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1607

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review