All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Did you know this about flax seed meal?
      #22176 - 10/01/03 05:41 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I usually use ground flax seed as my source of fiber, I like it in oatmeal or cereal or soy yogurt. Well, last time I accidentally bought flax seed meal. It's much finer, and doesn't add the crunch to cereal and such, but is still good in oatmeal. But I noticed on the label, that it can be used in baking, 3 to 1 for butter/oil/shortening. I had no idea! I tried it in banana bread and sure enough, moist as ever, and now added "good" fiber! Eric says he can taste a little difference but I think it tastes great, guess I'm used to it. And haven't we IBS'ers learned to be a little less picky? Anyway, thought I'd pass that on.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Did you know this about flax seed meal? new
      #22240 - 10/01/03 03:11 PM
nicolebee

Reged: 07/13/03
Loc: South Carolina, US

I had noticed the measurment replacement on the bag, but hadn't tried baking with it in anything I normally use butter/shortening. I get the Bob's Red Mill brand and had made the oatmeal flax muffins recipe that's on the bag (which by the way are really yummy), and I noticed that the recipe didn't have any butter or shortening in it and that they came out incredibly moist.

It's good to hear you used it successfully in another recipe.

One thing though, flax meal does still have fat; but at least it does have loads of good fiber!!

--------------------
Nicole
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#22241 - 10/01/03 03:17 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Thanks, that's cool about being able to use it to replace the fat of shortening. One ?: is the ratio 3 parts flax meal to one part shortening or vice versa? Seems more likely to be the former, but just want to be sure.

Also, FYI, you can grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder and make your own flax meal and this is usually cheaper b/c the companies usually charge extra to grind it into meal for you. I guess b/c it does take a bit more time and effort to do this plus of course increases their electricity costs, oh my!! (sorry, I'm just a bit cynical about the corporate world.......can't help it, they made me this way!)

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

#22248 - 10/01/03 03:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes, and the fat is does have is extremely healthy, so it's much better to get your fat calories from flax than from something like butter.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Flax Egg Replacer new
      #22273 - 10/01/03 08:26 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

cool, I never knew that. But I do use my ground flax meal (ground in my blender and stored in the fridge) on my oatmeal too. And... for making egg replacer for pancakes and muffins etc, you can...According to my Vegan cookbook, How It All Vegan, you can make flax eggs by mixing:
1/3 Cup Flax Seeds
1 cup Water
Blend the seeds to an even meal in the blender or food processor, and then add the water slowly while blending. Blend until the mix resembles a thick milk shake. Stores in the fridge for 3-6 days.
** 3 Tablespoons of flax eggs equals 1 Egg !
Not sure about the fat content though.
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 577 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 743

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review