All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
How many have tried eating everything?
      #217280 - 10/03/05 10:56 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I have found that not worrying and eating whatever I want has been the best helper ever for my IBS! I got stuck in such a bad cycle where food and pooping was so scary that thinking about them made me poop even more!! Anyway I know I posted this before, but now I eat tons of dairy and chocolate, and I think that's how I've gained about 13 lbs in 2 months! Now I even have a bit of a belly, it's crazy!! Anyway just wondering if any of you have gone through phases where u were fine and just ate whatever u wanted and didn't worry? I also think I don't have IBS as bad as most people on here, so I'm differnet I guess...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How many have tried eating everything? new
      #217284 - 10/04/05 12:10 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I cheat and eat what I want pretty much. Most of the time that's per the diet but I do have the occasional pizza or milk chocolate and I drink some alcohol and eat higher fat than most IBSers.

BUT...if I do, I feel some effects and if I do it too much I get unstable.

#217320 - 10/04/05 09:20 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

I do too! I eat pretty much whatever I want. I have tried every kind of diet and they always work somewhat but I always seem to have just as many "bad days" on diets as I do off, so why not just eat whatever I like. I can not stand Soy and all of that healthy stuff I have tried, it just makes me cranky.lol You are right though...it always puts on some pounds.lol..but I just exercise to get them off. (or I try)

#217388 - 10/04/05 12:06 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I have found that when I am not fixated on the diet I do better. I ate wisely before I even knew I had IBS...I knew what my triggers were etc. I think that being fixated on eating "this-that-and the other" stressed me out and made me worse.

I am headed to a Mexican restaurant for dinner and needless to say must be careful and will order wisely. A year ago I would have freaked out just thinking about going to a Mexican restaurant.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#217484 - 10/04/05 09:11 PM
Blue24

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: West Coast, USA

Yes I'm the same way! I try to not think about this diet b/c if I do, I always feel awful to my stomach. Instead, I eat healthily and wisely, whatever I want and it's all good..

#217527 - 10/05/05 06:38 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

You Know, WHen i first got IBS I changed my diet around and stuff and I was cranky as hell an unsatisifed to. Eating was fun and I knwo I was a pain int he ass to everyone around me LOL.

So I just gauge it on how I feel. I dont really eat deep fried foods if I can avoid it and drink my soy milk, but I put on weight after I stopped worrying about it . I needed to though because I was 5"5 and about 103 pounds, now I"m 116 and that took me about 5 months to put on. But I think you should really gauge what you eat on how you feel day to day, because you can pretty much feel a bad IBS episode brewing.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

SC, Blue, Trapley, etc... new
      #217548 - 10/05/05 07:52 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

What types of foods do you eat that aren't considered "safe"? I too think that I am too fixated on doing the "diet right" and am making myself more sick, more depressed and deprived, more socially isolated because I don't go to family gatherings where foods are barbequed burgers and potato salad and cake. I even avoid Thanksgiving, birthdays, Easter...because there is nothing for me to eat except for ham, scalloped potatoes with butter and milk, homemade stuffing with gravy, veggies with butter, bisquits. I just sit at home alone eating my chicken and "safe" foods while my family celebrates. They refuse to cook special foods for me or allow me to bring my own.

My anxiety over all this has skyrocketed since finding the diet and trying to follow it. I'm afraid of food and losing weight.

I'm really curious as to what foods you guys are able to eat. And is this on a daily basis...or do you pretty much stick to Heather's diet and once in a while explore other foods. I'm really curious as to how often you eat this way and what types of foods you eat on a daily basis. Does it make your IBS feel better because you aren't as stressed reading labels for triggers and fearing food?

Re: SC, Blue, Trapley, etc... new
      #217561 - 10/05/05 08:44 AM
Blue24

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hey there, foods I stay away from are dairy, so cheese and milk. I've been lactose intolerant since I was young. Those foods aren't part of my diet anyway, since I'm Asian. I don't care for them. But you know once in awhile I'll have dessert like a piece of cake and I am fine! I just try not to worry about it. I eat oatmeal for breakfast during the week, whatever I can scrounge up from home for lunch at work, and for dinner I always have rice and my Korean food. On the weekends, though, I treat myself to delicious breakfasts with delicious coffee at restaurants. Sometimes wine, too, with dinner. Try not to worry! I also don't snack, usually just b/l/d with fruit and maybe some pita chips after dinner. I'm healthy! I also exercise every single day, and my work keeps me soooo busy. Take care!

Important note! new
      #217573 - 10/05/05 09:24 AM
Linz

You should really follow the diet 100% until you're stable and if you don't, cheating must NOT be a regular occurrence or you will be scuppering your chances.

If you wait until you are stable, you can cheat sometimes with far less consequences (and far quicker recovery) than if you do so when unstable.

This is good advice! new
      #217582 - 10/05/05 10:03 AM
Linz

Listen to your bods people. If you're feeling dodgy, never cheat - you know it's not worth it. I always know which things I'll probably be able to cheat with on any particular day and it's always different!

I got the impression ... new
      #217598 - 10/05/05 10:42 AM
Cyndy

...that these people didn't become stable or "better" until they let go of the strictness of the diet and didn't worry about if what they were eating was considered "IBS safe"....that just "letting go" and eating what they wanted without worrying was the key for them becoming better because they lost the anxiety and fear and obsessing.

Can you guys help clear the confusion up?

Side note: I'm not promoting an unsafe diet...just curious as to what these posters are eating now and how often. Like, do they eat without concern everyday and only eat super safe if they are having a bad attack?

Re: I got the impression ... new
      #217601 - 10/05/05 10:53 AM
Linz

It depends on the severity of your IBS as to how far you can push the boundaries.

And not stressing about whether or not a dinner out will bring on an attack does NOT mean please ignore the diet guidelines. I don't stress about eating out at all (ie. will never refuse to go out b/c I don't think they'll be anything to eat) and if I eat something that affects me afterwards I just deal with it...but I do TRY to eat following the guidelines almost all the time (and certainly the entire time I was stabilising).

Have you tried hypno or counselling or meds for the anxiety?

#217648 - 10/05/05 02:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've really expanded my menu, I suppose, of late. I'm trying different things. I'm learning better to listen to my body. Some of the things I try are disasters, whereas others are great successes. Everyday is different. Somedays, my body wants a filet mignon. (Yes, I know...former vegan to rabid meat eater, tsk, tsk...) Other days...all I want is a real whole egg...yes, just one! I don't get it. Some days it needs to be salmon or shrimp or tuna...For me, I think it's a primal consciousness at work.
Root chakra energy/issues? I'm not sure. I'm just fiercely craving dead animals (that sounds morbid, but as a former vegan, I don't know the rhetoric of meat). Weird. One of these days, I'll figure it out.

One note: personally I do not crave dairy or wheat or some of my huge triggers/allergens. I tried soy, again, yesterday and had a huge backlash reaction. Oh well...it's just not meant to be in my fridge.

I think the point is, that Heather's diet has valuable insight and guidelines, but it's not a religion.
Kate.

Re: SC, Blue, Trapley, etc... new
      #217653 - 10/05/05 04:05 PM
SCgirl

Well I can only answer for myself. I know that everyone is different with IBS. I will tell you I eat whatever I want..from McDonalds to KFC.lol I dont skimp on Thanksgiving or other holidays either. I do try and eat healthy, dont get my wrong I am not eating fast food everyday!..but when friends want to go out I eat what I think is good. I just feel like life is too short to live the way I used to..worrying about everything I ate. If the diets are working for you alot then I wouldnt stop it, but maybe just try to slowly start eating things you want and see what happens.

Thank you for your honest opinion new
      #217677 - 10/05/05 07:18 PM
Cyndy

So far the diet isn't working so great and my anxiety is at it's wosrst.

I will have to give some serious thought to what is right for me.

When you eat this way, do you have symptoms? Either the same of worse than when you ate the safe IBS recommended way?

On the days you don't go to fast food or restaurants or on holidays, do you follow the diet guidelines then? (both food selection and also eating the SF before the IF) Or do you pretty much eat meat, cheese, chocolate, or whatever you feel like eating every day?

I appreciate your honest feedback!

I agree. new
      #217685 - 10/05/05 08:10 PM
Proud new Teacher

Reged: 09/22/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I find that I avoid milk and some dairy products, but now that i'm not fixated, I am eating yogurt no problem, can have a bit of cheese, can eat chocolate and SOME fattening foods with no real consequence. For me, worrying about it was the most awful trigger. i just started my own classroom and am under lots of pressure but my IBS has been close to fine because I am not focused on it. Amazing!

--------------------
Shannon the teacher` I'm an A, but more of a C these days.:}

That's the ase for me, Cyndy... new
      #217686 - 10/05/05 08:14 PM
Proud new Teacher

but I'm careful when I feel an attack brewing. I will NEVER, however, go without my 3 pills of "bugs" every day. If it was not for my probiotics, I'd still be in a lot of pain. You have to find a great one,take it a lot and be consistent, but it WORKS, I SWEAR its the ONLY thinkg that for sure makes a dif to me. Remember when i went off them a month and a bit ago and wwas HOSPITALIZED? My life has gotten a whole lot busier, more to stress about but I'm less stressed and my IBs is just an inconvenience right now. Seriously.

--------------------

OMG Kate!!! When did you go carno??? new
      #217687 - 10/05/05 08:19 PM
Proud new Teacher

STUNNED!!!!!

--------------------

Re: OMG Kate!!! When did you go carno??? new
      #217692 - 10/05/05 08:52 PM
Wind

Probably about 3 weeks ago. Definitely a month.

Yes, I'm stunned, too. My body-mind kept waking me up in the middle of the night ravenous for MEAT. I kept having these really warped dreams and getting all sweaty toothed...something fiercely bestial kicked in and well...now I'm eating more like the cavewoman I live like.

Honestly, my bones were just hungry for some meat. It's kind of challenging to translate the sensation into linguistic terms. It's very very primitive and primal and well...eerie.

However, I am honouring body's desire to eat the dead. Obviously, she's craving it for a reason. It's not like she's craving sugary processed junk food or a novelty food.
Just plain old meat, fish, fowl...but, yes, Shannon...meat.

Kate.

Re: Thank you for your honest opinion new
      #217694 - 10/05/05 09:03 PM
SCgirl

Well I am glad if I am helping you in any way. On regular days..I will pretty much tell you exactly what I eat:
breakfast:either a bagel and cream cheese, or cereal(Frosted Mini Wheats is my fav, has fiber too).
Lunch: I love subs!lol, I eat turkey and cheese sandwiches on Nature's Own fiber low carb bread(like wraps too).For snacks I eat wheat thins(sometimes with lil pimento cheese, my fav), Kashi snack bars
Dinner: varies alot, I try to get green beans,corn..etc, love any type of chicken,I am a college student so of course I eat easy mac from time to time.lol I really like oriental food..Tsao's chicken, sushi..you name it.
Drinks: TON of water, diet coke
I can eat ice cream on occasion too if I am craving it. I LOVE chocolate too, it has never bothered me. I have occasional flare ups..not many. No different really when I was on the diet. I have had IBS for so long that I really feel I have just learned to deal with it as if it is normal. "I am just rolling with the punches!"lol
Let me know how everything is going!

Finding a balance between diet and anxiety... new
      #217700 - 10/05/05 09:16 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I think it's really important for those of us with IBS to find a balance between mangaing our diets and managing our anxiety - and often the former can directly contribute negatively to the latter. For example, a person could follow the diet to a tee but be stressing so much and have so much anxiety - either about the diet or about something else going on in her or his life - and therefore still be suffering. On the other hand though, I think most IBSers could work really hard at getting their anxiety under control but if they completely stopped paying attention to their diets they would be suffering too.

Again, I think a personal and indivudal balance is really important here. We all know how severe our individual cases of IBS are and how much foods are a trigger and how much anxiety is a trigger for us as individuals - and the answers to all three things are going to really vary among us: some of us, like Tinkerbelle may be able to eat whatever we want as long as we don't stress out about it, while others may be able to safely handle terribly stressful sitautions as long as they eat ok. Most likely though, most of us are somewhere in between those two extremes.

Because of this, I think it's really crucial that we all listen to our bodies, as has been said, to find a way of managing our IBS that pays heed to our bodies needs BOTH with regard to anxiety and diet, in a way that doesn't exascerbate either of them.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Hope that made sense...

Re: OMG Kate!!! When did you go carno??? new
      #217732 - 10/06/05 07:14 AM
poochibelly

I think that when you listen to your body you should hear what it says. I know that I am low in protein or something when I crave meat as I really could live without it.

In the old days when I ate red meat there would be days that I would crave liver of all things...the thought of that makes me gag now! 9 times out of 10 it would be somewhere around my menstrual cycle as if I needed the iron or something.

It has been 4 years since I have eaten red meat and I occasionally crave prime rib. I think if I ordered it and looked at it I would barf...

Listening to your body is a good thing.

--------------------

On Another Note! new
      #217740 - 10/06/05 07:37 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

Yes I agree people should wait until they are stable I stuck strickly to the IBS diet for 2 months and still had bad days but they werent as recurrent .I dont know if I ever stabilized and I think peoples IBS cases are different from others. I had cut out red meat and everything like mac and cheese, limited my gluten,only ate ezekial bread, but I was losing so much weight, still having problems on top of being a pain in the ass for everyone who ate with me. I was full blown anemic and getting sick with colds and stuff while on the diet and my gastro told me to listen to my body because it will help me sort out what I need because I was restricting my body of needed vitamins and proteins.
So.... I just said I"m going to eat like a normal person, but restrict on things like fast food and highly greasy foods. I dont do ice cream or milk shakes either, nor coffee, but I eat eggs and ham..yep ham.. and to be honest my attacks come every once in a while, but at least I look and feel healthier. I am happier and dont feel like a slave to food. I"m in college and live on a college student budget and college student time (full time school and work, and Girl Scout Volunteer). I couldn't afford to make the recipes.

Bottom Line... Every one is different what works for you might now do anything for me and what works for me, might not do anything for you

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Re: carno cravings/poochibelly new
      #217741 - 10/06/05 07:39 AM
Wind

hmmm...liver, ehh?

don't laugh. i am hugely craving liver. yes, liver. i know--holy gross-o-rama. i am really really craving chicken liver (not pate or liverworst) just chicken livers, chicken guts and lamb, too. i'm not really craving poultry/fowl.

i'm probably low in something that's in red meat and meat in general. i'm prone to pernicious anemia. i've had bouts where it's taken months to recover, even with b12 shots and lots of folate in my diet. i know, even more now that my immune system is weak and literally attacks me--my diagnosis of alopecia aerata reinforces that (it's basically the manifestation or result of an immune system attack/assault and i have most of the vulnerability causing factors). i just found out the verdict a few days ago. i'm probably craving the b12 and the zinc.

i'm really happy to say that the hair prognosis is awesome--my immune system seems to love me lately. could it be because i'm listening to body re: feeding?

i think so. intuitive eating. the hair doc says that i seem to be in remission with the aloepecia. hair regrowth appears to have started in 2 phases--5 months ago and 2 months ago. i started EATING (not supplementing) with the foods i'm craving as safely as possible at both of those times. i started really eating the silica versus supplementing. ditto for the calcium/magnesium and selenium and well...now the flesh. plus i doubled the protein in my diet.

and the doc. said to eat it versus supplementing. as i tend to have absorption challenges, i'm supposed to eat more proteins.

anyways, i'm just babbling. but truly, i think there's something to intuitive eating. however, i also know that Heather's diet is very helpful and effective. my verdict/summary? after stability strike a balance. different things work for different people at different times.

kate, ibs-D.

Edited by Wind (10/06/05 07:40 AM)

Re: carno cravings/poochibelly new
      #217755 - 10/06/05 08:09 AM
poochibelly

Yep....that is where I am. Stable so I can add a little variety. I do believe that my stability has much to do with my choosing not to be fixated on this diet...just by listening to my body.

Thank goodness my body hasn't requested liver lately! Ha ha

--------------------

What is the name of this Probiotic? new
      #217767 - 10/06/05 08:33 AM
Cyndy

Is it available in the US? You take 3 a day?

What else do you take supplement wise? So, you eat pretty much whatever you want?

Do you still think the D.A. is part of your... new
      #217768 - 10/06/05 08:37 AM
Cyndy

...ability to eat more freely? Do you take anything else besides the DA?

Is Nature's Own fiber bread the brand name? I don't believe I've ever seen it. Is it a wheat bread?

Thanks again!

My concern with this theory... new
      #217774 - 10/06/05 09:44 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I have to admit I'm a little bothered by the advice that if we just chill out and eat whatever our IBS will improve. To me it comes across as saying, "It's all in your head," which feeds into the idea that we're ultimately the ones to be blamed for having this disorder.

I think we've all read enough studies to know that IBS is NOT psychological: this is a disorder that is physiological and neurological, one that has been shown to affect people in a measurable way.

For me, following the diet means eating in a way that is easy for my digestive tract because it IS sensitive and it DOESN'T work properly. Of course, some people are too focused on the diet, which is only a guideline for eating safely, and they forget about the other available treatments for reducing IBS symptoms also mentioned on this site.

I'll admit that I was completely focused on getting control over my IBS symptoms and doing everything possible to minimize my pain while understanding (sadly) that it would never go away 100%. But I don't feel guilty about it because I WAS suffering and, I'm speaking for myself, I realized that in order to get a grip on myself, my IBS, and my life I would have to learn about this disorder, read and compare studies, and learn how to eat to put the least amount of stress on my digestive tract.

I do recognize that for some people such concentration does add emotional stress, especially for those who are dealing with a pre-existing ED. I really feel for those of you who are trying to find a balance between eating safely for IBS and not becoming obsessed with the diet. And I do believe that such stress can exacerbate symptoms--but it is NOT a cause of our IBS. So, simply no longer caring about what we put in our mouths won't make it go away.

Because IBS is a chronic disorder without any cure or specific treatment, this means even if I'm relaxed and without a care in the world, even if my mind is not fixated on SF or eating safely, if eat a hamburger or have the smallest scoop of ice cream, I WILL have an attack. And the reason I'll have an attack isn't because I think I will, but because the proteins in red meat and dairy ARE more difficult to digest.

If you actually read all this, wow! I'm sorry to go off and I hope you know me well enough to realize that my intent is not to offend or hurt anyone's feelings. It's just that after a few years of people telling me it's because of my attitude or personality or anxiety (which I didn't develop until a couple of years after my initial diagnosis with IBS and having D more than several times everyday during that time) and THEN reading all these studies that prove otherwise, I'm just sad when it's suggested (even subtlely and politely) that I just need to relax and I'll feel better.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (10/06/05 10:04 AM)

I agree wholeheartedly, Maria new
      #217780 - 10/06/05 10:11 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

And I'm not as afraid of offending people, so I'll say exactly what I'm thinking: For many people with IBS, the advice to "relax and eat whatever" is not only NOT going to work, but it's potentially dangerous, especially for people with more severe cases of IBS. And as a moderator of this board, I'm very concerned about having a discussion so contrary to the entire purpose and premise of this website here on the boards, but I'll leave it up to Heather to decide whether or not it merits deleting.

I DID try to "eat anything", and do you know where it got me? So sick that I couldn't get out of bed, leave the house, or digest anything except water and rice (and even then, not always). It didn't happen immediately; it happened slowly, over a matter of years, until my entire digestive system just freaked out and shut down. Personally, I think that if you think your symptoms are better because you're eating "whatever", you're either in denial (and it will catch up with you eventually, trust me!) or you don't have IBS.

I agree that the "relaxing" about food part is beneficial, but that seriously can be accomplished without eating things that are known IBS triggers. I've had a variety of eating disorders AND I have anxiety disorders, and I've still managed to get it all under control (yes, some with the help of medication) and learned how to relax and ENJOY eating well. It's totally possible, and well within the reach of anyone willing to put the effort into doing it, so why on earth would you screw around with things that aren't good for ANYONE, much less someone with a touchy digestive system?

IBS is physiological, not psychological. Not stressing about food will NOT eliminate the symptoms for more people. And I'm sorry to go off on this too, but it's a sore spot for me, after hearing that same crappy advice SO many times over the 18+ years I've had IBS.

I agree....and I don't want this discussion to spiral way off topic, new
      #217786 - 10/06/05 10:34 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

because it really is ridiculous to tell someone with IBS to "just eat anything". This does not mean that someone should stress out about everything they eat, obviously, but the whole point of this board is to address questions about the IBS Diet. It's not the forum to encourage ignoring dietary concerns altogether. If that works for someone with IBS, great, but that someone would be in the minority, and that topic is not applicable to this forum.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I agree, too, Maria. (m) new
      #217821 - 10/06/05 12:07 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think your post is excellent - and Casey's too. I couldn't quite get hold of what was making me so uncomfortable about this thread, so I found your pointing out the underlying "it's all in your head" message really helpful.

I'm not as eloquent or thoughtful about this as either of you. For me, it's just one of those logic problems we had to do in school:

If eating everything had worked for me, I would never have needed to find Heather's program or this Board in the first place. So if I were the kind of person who could eat everything, I wouldn't be here to read a suggestion that I just eat everything.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I agree....and I don't want this discussion to spiral way off topic, new
      #217833 - 10/06/05 12:48 PM
Bumblebee

Reged: 10/06/05

Hello, Heather, and Everyone. I made it in. And for my first post, I just wanted to thank you for letting this thread run its course. It's just interesting to hear how everyone is dealing with their own situation as they incorporate the IBS diet. Self discipline is something that only we have control over, and I find that my ability to exercise it goes in cycles. I mostly know what is a trigger for me, but am just discovering from your info the different affects that soluble and insoluble fiber have on us. I also deal with dairy and wheat sensitivities, so that is something I constantly battle throughout these alternating cycles of discipline and lack thereof. Thanks for presenting this information. I've ordered the cookbook and the Acacia. I'll let you know how it goes. I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Re: Do you still think the D.A. is part of your... new
      #217838 - 10/06/05 12:54 PM
SCgirl

Yes I do think that DA might play a part of getting me more stable, not to say I think I am 100% better but I think I am getting back to a little bit of normal. Yea Natures Own is the name brand, I see it alot here in SC, and yes it is wheat. I just tend to like wheat bread better.

Welcome Bumblebee new
      #217839 - 10/06/05 12:57 PM
Cyndy

I appreciated all the posts too. It was nice to get a peek at different people's experiences, especially when it brings them relief.

Anxiety is something I really need to address, and thanks to the people who posted, I now realize what a huge impact it can really have on the body.

Do you take any SFS.... new
      #217841 - 10/06/05 01:00 PM
Cyndy

...or a probiotic or digestive enzymes? Or just the DA? And if I remember correctly, you can even take the ones with Artificial Sweeteners, right?

Thanks for all your help. I'm hoping that you continue to feel good and live with a quality of life despite your IBS. Keep posting! You are very helpful and bring me some hope for a life outside of constipation and pain!

Re: I agree....and I don't want this discussion to spiral way off topic, new
      #217842 - 10/06/05 01:01 PM
SCgirl

I am sorry if anyone took my comments the wrong way. I was not trying to argue with anyone I was just answering one person's questions that they had for me. I think we are all curious about what people eat and I was just sharing what I did. I did not tell anyone to "eat whatever" they want, I just said thats what I did and thats all. I will have to read the posts all over again but I dont think that anyone said it was "all in their heads" because anyone with IBS knows thats not true. Sorry if I caused any harm, I just wanted to answer some questions truthfully and I never try and tell anyone what to do. Sorry if I came off the wrong way!

Re: Do you take any SFS.... new
      #217847 - 10/06/05 01:07 PM
SCgirl

Well I was just reading some posts up above and I think some people disagree with me and what others are saying. I just want to start off saying that I dont neccesarily recommend everything I do, but I know that you know everyone is different. Anyway, I am now taking the DA without artifical sweetners just because I thought if I had a choice it would be better without them. I eat Metimucil lil bars too, actually they are really good. Glad I am helping you and I really hope that you can find out what works for you. I used to be alot worse than I am right now. I was D for many many years and then I went to A, and then C. So I dont know if its my body just chaging every couple years but it sucks!!lol

Huh! new
      #217864 - 10/06/05 03:24 PM
Proud new Teacher

That's so weird, and yep, very carnal. I have to say, I do love my seafood and chicken. I could do without all the rest. however-you do need to try a rack of lamb at the outback some day. Ohhhhh maaaaahhhhh gawwwwd. Not that that's safe....hee hee

--------------------

Maria, that was well stated and diplomatic. new
      #217865 - 10/06/05 03:30 PM
Proud new Teacher

I hope I didn't make others think I just eat whatever whenever, but I have found the less I worry about every morsel, and basically stick to safe food, the better I am. However, I tend toward enjoying IBS safe food anyhow. I'm finding certian things don't bother me now like they did this summer. that could change in the blink of an eye, and I do love having the diet there to guide me. However, i listen to my body and it tells me what's safe as well.

There. Hope I clarified my point. Ice cream, corn, milk, peanut butter or coffee would kill me any day. However, I can drink a bit here and there, have chocolate any time, eat margarine no prob and eat almost all fruit and veg sans consequence.

--------------------

No, I can't say I eat whatever I want...but am more liberal..... new
      #217866 - 10/06/05 03:48 PM
Proud new Teacher

My probiotic is a Canadian one, apparently you can get it online. I go three days without it and I'm in pain. HONESTLY. It works. It takes about a week, week and a half to get going, but it WORKS. You just need to make sure you get a probiotic with at LEAST 5 billion cells, one you refrigerate, one you're willing to spend a bit extra on, and one that a holistic person recommends.

I still have my Metamucil smoothie every day. I have allowed these foods back in, in MODERATION:

chocolate(some every few days, not much)
cheese (only in one meal a day, and only a little bit)
yogurt (some types have lower lactose levels)
certain fats (if I overdo it, it's always a problem)
a drink or two here and there (once every couple weeks, up to 2 drinks do not bother me)
Wheat bread doesn't bother me.

And that's it. I have added lots of things to the Do not eat list, like avocados, corn and cheerios.

HTH!

--------------------

AC girl, i saw it as you wanted it seen...and hope everyone read mine the same...., new
      #217867 - 10/06/05 03:51 PM
Proud new Teacher

I was so anxious about my IBS this summer that my anxiety over IBS was a trigger in itself. Not that it was all in my head, but the anxiety over every single piece of food that went into my mouth? That was so stressful. Now I'm justy listening to my body> that's what we should all do.

--------------------

I did as well!~nt~ new
      #217871 - 10/06/05 03:54 PM
poochibelly

--------------------

Re: Finding a balance between diet and anxiety... new
      #217872 - 10/06/05 03:54 PM
Proud new Teacher

well SAID!!

And now you're going vego, eh? What is up with kate and you switching?

--------------------

Re: I agree wholeheartedly, Maria new
      #217884 - 10/06/05 04:11 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Yea, I'd like to bury this topic as well......It hits me pretty hard. My dad always says to me "Just Eat, Kid!...It's all in your head!!" Sure it is......that's why I still feel like CRAP after eating nothing but BREAD!!! Sorry, I'm in a bad mood this evening.....my gut is not doing very good at all.......because I ate butter cookies! Crap! I have got to stop doing things like this to myself! hehehehe
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Finding a balance between diet and anxiety... new
      #217898 - 10/06/05 05:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Heh, yeah she's stealing all my protein cravings! lol
Good to see you back, btw Shannon!

ROTFL! Call me meathead! new
      #217916 - 10/06/05 06:13 PM
Wind

Just called me meathead...or meatball...or egghead...maybe, Laurel, a weird 'switch' occurred by the light of the full moon? I dream of turkey jerky...lean turkey breast...shrimp and salmon and well...yes, I must be possessed! Honestly, though...I still love my green eggs best of all...the breakfast of champions, although from a health perspective I'd say that it ranks equally with oats.

Okay, enough carno-babble. I still really like my green things. They just taste different with carno-knowledge. And truly, I genuinely prefer the safe proteins! And thanks, but no thanks to moo-juice. I don't want to pay the price in hot foaming liquid...And no thanks to any special sauces/deep fried buttery anything!

Enough graphics. Yes, I'm all for 'playing it safe.' Why?
Tried, tested, and true. Eating safely for IBS has TONS of options/selections/choices and really, truly, I hardly think we're suffering. If anything the knowledge applied has given us our power and our freedom and our sanity back.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Huh! new
      #217918 - 10/06/05 06:15 PM
Wind

Maybe I'll fly on over on my broomstick.

Kate, IBS-D.

But what's the name of the probiotic to order?-nt new
      #217932 - 10/06/05 07:31 PM
Cyndy

WOW AND SORRY!!!! new
      #219018 - 10/11/05 08:31 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

HI EVERYONE! I had no idea that my post caused such an uproar, I just looked at it today and realized that it caused a big controversy. I did not mean for that to happen at all! I guess I was just trying to say that for ME, not worrying so much about what I eat has been my biggest helper for IBS... Also, it's not that I'm eating EVERYTHING at all, I'm just eating a lot of chocolate and dairy, which I thought were huge No-nos, and neither have been a prob for me at all. I am not, however, eating fried foods, greasy foods, and almost everything I eat is organic and very healthy... I guess I should have phrased my post very differently because I more meant that eating more foods and not worrying is what has helped my IBS, but I am far from cured from pain, bloating, and occasional D and C... And I was wondering if anyone else had tried the same and had similiar results.
Also I did not realize, until recently, that I was actually prone to an eating disorder, and that's why this website effected me so negatively. I love the support that people gave me, but I became obsessed with not eating anything on the "not safe" list, and only eating safe foods, cutting my diet down to next to nothing and DEFINATLY having an eating disorder. I told everyone, and TRUTHFULLY THOUGHT, that I was losing weight because my digestion was so bad, and that I couldn't digest anything. But time and reality have shown that I really can digest a lot of foods, and that really I lost so much weight because I had restricted my diet to so little food a day based on fear. Now that I hardly ever come to this site and read about every single food that may give me an upset stomach, I find that if I just eat consciously and fairly safely, I'm fine, and if I'm not, like tonight, I just keep going with my life and don't obsess over it... and I feel much better.
Just wanted to clear things up!! Hope I didn't upset anyone too much.
Funny thing is, after asking millions of questions, the only time Heather has ever commented on anything I've written is a post that everyone was pissed at!!

S'ok Tink! new
      #219042 - 10/12/05 01:07 AM
Linz

Btw, it sounds like maybe the hypno could really help you. Have you tried it?

And one thing I've found helped me alot is to stick to really really good dark chocolate! It's so rich that I only eat it in tiny bits so it's pretty safe...and it's so yummy. It's a real treat for me and it's fun to only buy the best chocolate!

Also, are you on a SFS now? Taking my Acacia keeps me pretty stable even when my diet goes off the rails - it allows me to not worry about food AND stay (mainly) IBS-free.

Re: WOW AND SORRY!!!! new
      #219133 - 10/12/05 12:05 PM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Hey Tinkerbelle,
I have IBS-C & I guess I'm not as bad as most of the women on this site. I know you were not trying to offend anyone. I have a realatively normal diet, & am mostly stable. But I know if I were to go back to my old eating habits, I'd get sick all over again. It's funny how this IBS seems to be different for everyone. If thats what works for you, then so be it. As far as the eating disorder thing goes, I didn't really see that I also had been eating next to nothing, just to try to get a grip on my IBS. Yeah, I'll agree that it starts spiralling out of control, cuz I go pretty obessed w/ everything I ate. (ended up losing 28lbs., & now am underweight.) Thanx for posting your issues. I can relate. Kee

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25283

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review