All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
scary episode
      #21374 - 09/21/03 06:55 PM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

I was awakened last night around three by cramping above my pubic bone. At first I thought it might be the onset of some menstrual cramps, but they were intense. I got up to go to the bathroom, and became extremely dizzy. I was able to make it out of the bathroom and screamed for my parents. I fell down, and felt like I was on the verge of passing out. My parents somehow got me back to the bathroom, where I started dry heaving. I broke out in a cold sweat-I have never perspired so much in my life. They kept trying to give me water, but I was having trouble swallowing. They had a cool washcloth for my back, forehead, chest. After a few minutes, I had D. After I was finished, I started to feel better. I was able to make it back to my bedroom, where my mother gave me some pretzels and water. When I looked at myself in the mirror, my face and lips were as white as a ghost.

This has happened to me two previous times; both were about 3-4 years ago. I'm asthmatic (which has been under control for 2 years) and always blamed the attacks on my breathing (although I would have D at the time of the attack). I wasn't out of breath last night, but realize there was a lack of oxygen because I almost blacked out. I've read that some people pass out due to IBS. Could this have been the case? I did not eat anything strange-I had Heather's bruschetta and linguine with creamy wild mushroom, spinach and sherry sauce. I had peach herbal tea and some marshmallows for dessert. I have been on two vacations within the last month, and even though I requested meals with no oil, butter, etc...I did have some problems with D on the trips. Could my body just be aggravated? I had to take my inhaler last night before I went to bed because I was wheezing, but I wasn't out of breath.

I'm very concerned, and was hoping some people could shed some light on this. This forum, the books and the advice have been a miracle for me. I don't post often, but I constantly read and learn from all of you. I can't imagine where I would be if I didn't stumble upon "Eating for IBS" a few months ago.

Thanks for everything,
Kristin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: scary episode new
      #21377 - 09/21/03 08:23 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm so sorry you went through this scary episode.....

Yes, this has happened to me several times in the past too. Usually a few hours or so after eating.... I even was given meds in the ER to stop the feeling of everything coming up again. Usually it was cause by me being SO constipated that there was no room for the food to even digest.... I don't know if I'm making sence.... but I understand what you have been through...... being able to have a BM usually followed by a lot of D fixes the problem....but sometimes took me several hours (2-36+) depending on how packed I am. I would be weak and dehydrated. So, drink lots of water!!

I feel your pain.... hope you feel better.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#21378 - 09/21/03 08:30 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Kristin you should call your Doctor Monday morning and see what he/she has to say. Your Doctor may want to see you.
I never have had pain that severe above my pubic bone like you, although I know other people have. The only time I have been close to passing out is from pancreatitis attacks.
Call your Doc to be on the safe side and let us know what your Doctor says.
Barb

#21381 - 09/21/03 09:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kristin - I second the notion of calling your doc to make sure everything is okay.

It is possible to black out just from pain - I've had that happen with IBS attacks that were really severe. If you didn't have any signs of asthma with the abdominal pain that may have been what happened. It's terrifying, and really exhausting, but I've had docs tell me it's not in and of itself something worrisome, it's just your body shutting down as a result of pain it can't handle. What matters is knowing for sure what's behind that pain... is it IBS or is there something else going on?

I've had this hit me out of the blue as you did, as well. More often it's been because of eating the wrong thing, but sometimes that just hasn't been the case, and I've not had a clue what suddenly triggered the attack. Fortunately it's really rare, so hopefully it will be for you too.

Take care and treat yourself especially good so you can recover.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#21400 - 09/22/03 09:39 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Kristin,
I'm sorry to hear about your attack. I can definitely relate. When I first was diagnosed with IBS, I would get D attacks that we so severe that I would black out, too. I would hunch over in so much pain trying to take sharp breaths just to bear it. I'd also break out into cold sweats. I'm very prone to passing out, so whenever I get a sharp pain or very, very sick, I have to really watch.

As everyone has already said, It's always best to check with your doctor, just in case.

Hang in there.
Kristine

#21408 - 09/22/03 10:04 AM
mlambers

Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: MI

I have had similar attacks, but my pain resides just under my left floating rib. I don't recall being white, but I was doubled over and totally exhausted after several BM then finally D. Over the years I have migrated my eating habits to small portions over the entire day. If I over eat, I have problems. Earlir this year, I went several months without an attack, but when I do have one the pain is tolerable. Hopefully you don't have to experience this again.

#21511 - 09/23/03 06:23 AM
skywalker

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: CT USA

Kristin,

Sounds like you have the same problem I have. I went through the exact same thing four weeks ago. Severe cramps for an hour and D. The sweating comes from the pain more precisely on a nerve(can't remember the name). The passing out is from the heavy breathing(hyperventilating). I started with tingling of the limbs below the knees and elbows. I never passed out but now knowing what it is may consider breathing into a paper bag next time to help with the hyper v. I had a pool of sweat below me. I unfort.. was in a public bathroom yuck. A germaphobe i was so bad i found myself wiht my face on the stall partition jsut to keep myself a bit cooler. The diet i hope will work as i may have to switch careers if i can't contol this.
As I'm sure you've heard before make sure you have a proper exam and medical diagnosis of IBS to rule out other possible ailments.

Hope you're feeling better.

--------------------
Luke
<><

Edited by skywalker (09/23/03 06:24 AM)

#21512 - 09/23/03 06:52 AM
skywalker

I just remembered. The first time i ahd an attack so severe(only two so far) i passed blood a few days later. My doc said it was a hemmoroid from the severe attack. Never had them before and none since. He said it was jsut temporary due to the severity of the attack. This blood was bright red(the good kind)and only about a teaspoon or less(it looked like a lot to me).
Again get professional advice from a gi as we may have different symptoms and problems.

--------------------
Luke
<><

#21515 - 09/23/03 07:10 AM
skywalker

Hi kristin,

I too have had the same problem. I even wnet to the ER.
IT sounds like me but call your doc to be sure. The sweating is from the pain, the passing out is from the hyperventilating as is the tingling of the limbs which i get below the elbows and knees. I also passed blood a few days after the first attack like this and my doc said it was normal becasue of the severity of the attack, a tmeporary one time hemmorroid.
again call your doc to be sure butsounds like we have the exact same symptoms.

--------------------
Luke
<><

feeling better new
      #21580 - 09/23/03 04:11 PM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

Thanks everyone...I'm feeling much better. My chiropractor said that it seems as if my body is going through a detox, even thought I've been on the diet for over 3 months. I'm going to another doctor tomorrow, and I'll be sure to bring the episode to her attention. My stomach has been iffy, but I know we'll all have our good days and bad days, good months and bad months....

Kristin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 549 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1485

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review