All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
brown and wild rice question
      #20962 - 09/17/03 02:10 AM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

is brown or wild rice safe? i really love these new brown rice crispy bars i found made by envirokidz at whole foods(just like rice crispy treats but vegetarian) and i love wild rice.

thanks
amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: brown and wild rice question new
      #20964 - 09/17/03 03:51 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Brown rice is usually very tolerable. A lot of the rice cakes are made with brown rice, so you should be fine with the bars. Just check the other ingredients and of course the fat content.

The wild rice, I'm not sure about.

Re: brown and wild rice question new
      #21013 - 09/17/03 11:04 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Wild rice is more difficult than brown rice. Interestingly, wild rice is not a rice at all, but a grass. It's got a much higher insoluble fiber content than brown rice. You can still eat it, but treat it carefully. I actually like to make a batch of mixed brown and wild rice - yum!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

interesting, i'll have to mix them thanks! -nt- new
      #21076 - 09/17/03 08:57 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

Re: interesting, i'll have to mix them thanks! -nt- new
      #21125 - 09/18/03 10:31 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey there - If you have access to bulk rice at a health food store, see if you can get a mix of sweet brown rice, regular long grain brown rice, and wild rice. If you can, let me know, and I'll post the recipe for this incredible rice blend that my husband makes. He got the recipe from some kung fu summer camp years ago (no kidding!). You need a little kombu kelp in there too, and when it's done you have to top it with Braggs, lecithin, and (optional) nutritional yeast flakes. You can see why I haven't posted this recipe before.

But if you can get all the hippie foods, it's truly fabulous for dinner with some roasted root veggies.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 769

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review