All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
i love my package from the online store & a few tips i've found using the products
      #20957 - 09/17/03 12:35 AM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

hi everyone,

i just got in my box of goodies from heather's online store and thoroughly impressed! the peppermint caps are fantastic and about half the price of what i find in my local health food stores. it's also great they contain the other beneficial supplements of ginger and fennel...one less thing i have to worry about taking.

the teas are also fantastic at an even better bargain, especially since they are organic, which is important to me. i've been making the peppermint tea by the gallon. i like to drink it cold, so i keep it in the fridge, but for those who like it warm can easily nuke it. brewing is easy when you put the tea in a coffee filter, fold and staple it like it was a giant tea bag and put it in the coffee pot. i'm pretty sure you can put the tea directly into the coffee pot and strain it before you put it into a container. i'm pretty sure this is a good way to make it, as i've done this with tea for a while. the water doesn't actually boil so it won't break down the good stuff in the herbs. if i'm wrong, please correct me. but the tea is great.

the product i'm most satisfied with is the microwaveable hot packs. i keep 2 in the freezer and 1 on my kitchen shelf (though i'm usually using one). i know most people like hot on their tummy, but i like cold. i'm sure it's because texas is already hot as hell. any way, much better than ice packs that inevitably leak or get messy what i did is cut the sheet into 2 x 4 squares (like 3 little rectangles per sheet), roll them up in a ball and place them in the freezer. when they freeze they retain a curved shape which fits your abdomen...custom fit comfort. when i had a migraine a few days ago it worked well on my head. i tried out the warm option of the packs when i started female cramps yesterday (the time i do like the heat) and boy it was nice! much better than a heating pad, doesn't use electricity, and most importantly, won't burn down my house these things will definitely come in handy on my commutes to class or in the bad houston traffic.

thanks so much heather for offering these items online. i'm so happy you have made them available and, in my case, incredibly cheaper than my local health food stores. i'm looking forward to any new additions. to those of you who are thinking about placing an order DO IT!!! you'll feel so much better

amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Aw, thank you Amy!!! -nt- new
      #20958 - 09/17/03 01:06 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

The Hot Packs new
      #20963 - 09/17/03 03:45 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I love the hot packs! They are much better than a heating pad. Of course for the lack of being able to catch on fire, but I really love how portable they are. They are even better than the ThermaCare pads in my opinion. I have not tried them cold yet, but definitely like the warm. I took the cover from my heating pad and use that to wrap in it after heating.

I definetley recommend them to anyone - these things are great!

Also, thanks for the great tip on the tea. I was just telling my fiance last night the only thing I hate about tea is you have to go through a production to get a cup - not just like pouring a drink out of the fridge. (I know - I'm lazy! LOL) And I thought about making a pot, but I was thinking iced tea - I never thought of heating it up in the microwave a cup at a time! Duh!!!!! Thanks for the great tip!

Edited by Mags2003 (09/17/03 03:49 AM)

Question About Hot Packs new
      #20990 - 09/17/03 08:15 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

1) About how thick do the packs get once the hydration process has been done?

2) Are they light enough to maybe wear inside your panties, under your clothes and not fall out?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Question About Hot Packs new
      #21006 - 09/17/03 10:09 AM
*Melissa*

I'd say they get about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick tops.

They are light enough to wear inside your panties. I've done that while wearing sweatpants, but I definitely wouldn't be able to button my jeans over them. I wouldn't wear them in public like that, because you can definitely tell something's in there. Not as discreet as Thermacare, so I'm going with the Thermacare by day, hot packs by night.

#21007 - 09/17/03 10:19 AM
Shell Marr

That is what I needed to know! I'm using the one for the office like thermacare, I don't recall the name right now. I put it on in the morning (7am) it stays "warm" for about 12 hours... but I would love to be able to use Heather's hot packs at night after dinner and be able to take them to bed I'll just have to order some

Thanks Mags

--------------------

This is how I do it too! new
      #21011 - 09/17/03 10:47 AM
HeatherAdministrator

I do wear the hot packs under pajamas when I'm at home, and I've used them under my clothes when I'm driving, but they're too thick to actually wear beneath anything form-fitted. The stick-on patches are better for that. The hot packs are great for nighttime.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Great Infro new
      #21018 - 09/17/03 11:39 AM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

I just love both the peppermint and fennel teas! What a great idea to brew them for the fridge! I also like to chew the fennel seeds, because I am in habit of chewing anise seeds as well. It sounds weird, I know, but they are beneficial this way and it I think they taste good!

The peppermint caps are great and so is the Eating for IBS cookbook.

The cold-hot packs are a hit, and are wonderful for travel, and for my 15 yr old daughter; no longer do I have to worry about electrical cords while either of us are resting or fall to sleep with these hot packs.

I would also like to thank you again Heather for providing such good quality, cost effective (in the large quantitiy bags of the teas), to help us find added comforts. I think these products are absolutely wonderful! ~ Marilyn xx

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Thanks Marilyn!! -nt- new
      #21019 - 09/17/03 11:41 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Re: i love my package from the online store & a few tips i've found using the products new
      #21022 - 09/17/03 12:00 PM
Marilyn

These are such great ideas! I love both the teas, and the bag is huge! I also like to chew the fennel seeds, sounds weird, but actually they are good and helpful this way as well.

The book is wonderful, the peppermint caps are great and the hot cold packs are super for travel and for bedtime. Now my daughter and I don't have to worry about electrical cords, and the packs conform better and have no smell like those cherry pit cloth thingys, which are nice, but you can't wash, they don't fit the body, and they, well, sort of smell! Ack!

Thanks Heather for helping to bring such great products to keep our lives more comfortable! I am really loving everything.

And what a great idea to brew a bigger batch of tea! Why didn't I think of this? Great suggestion! Thanks for sharing!

Goodness to all! ~ Marilyn xx

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Question - Mixing Peppermint & Fennel Tea new
      #21023 - 09/17/03 12:04 PM
Shell Marr

1) Has anyone tried mixing peppermint & fennel tea?

2) Would it defeat the purpose of either of them and not be beneficial?

--------------------

Re: Question - Mixing Peppermint & Fennel Tea new
      #21024 - 09/17/03 12:07 PM
*Melissa*

Actually, I remember Sharon (the one who used to be a Recipe Index moderator) mixing the two. I was going to try experimenting with those 2 and chamomile, to try to make up my own Tummy Mint - that's the 3 kinds of tea Celestial Seasonings uses for Tummy Mint.

I'll let you know how I make out!

#21028 - 09/17/03 12:16 PM
Shell Marr

Oh, DUH!! I guess if I would have looked in my drawer here at work I would have thought of that!! LOL

Thanks Mags... this is a great idea. Hopefully Heather will have chamomile some time too.... so I can just get them all from her

--------------------

#21056 - 09/17/03 06:12 PM
*Melissa*

Well, I went to the only place I know of around here that sells bulk tea, and of course they didn't have chamomile. I don't know what I was thinking!

So, I guess I will just try the mix of peppermint & fennel. Maybe Heather will start selling the chamomile and I will buy it from her also!

But, on the plus side, when I went to the store, I found out that they had loose jasmine tea though, so I just had to buy some of that! I love jasmine tea - it smells like you're drinking a bouquet! LOL Of course, I won't have it as often as the others, but it will be a nice treat.

Re: Question About Hot Packs-undies new
      #21073 - 09/17/03 08:45 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

hello again

i wouldn't put a hot pack directly on your skin as you mentioned putting them under your panties because when they come out of the microwave they can be REALLY hot. i wrap mine up in a small towel or piece of cloth. once some of the heat starts to decrease in temp., then you can have direct skin contact.

personally, i do not use the thermacare patches as they can be very pricey and sometimes don't stick as they should. i think if you needed to take a hot pack to work you could probably lean it on your abdomen under your desk and no one would know...this is if you have a desk job. luckily for me i go to class for a few hours a day so i can do without. but i do like them for the commute!

amy

Re: Question - Mixing Fennel Tea to drown the taste new
      #21075 - 09/17/03 08:50 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hey Mags - Queen of Blended Teas - any suggestions for blending the fennel to drown out the taste? I also adore jasmine tea. Have you blended it with that? BTW - I remember you suggesting blending different flavours before and I had a blast mixing some. GREAT idea. You're the best!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#21089 - 09/18/03 03:53 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks! Glad you had fun with the blending!

This is the first I've really started using loose teas. I'm thinking of trying maybe 3/4 part peppermint to 1/4 part fennel, and see how that goes. Yes, I like to drown out the fennel too. I made some fennel that was too strong the other night, and I barely managed 1/2 cup down.

I haven't tried the jasmine yet, because when I asked the lady at the store if it had caffeine, she said it was blended with some green tea - I know this is probably hardly any caffeine, but I didn't want to try it in the evening just to be safe. I guess I may be able to spare some jasmine in an experiment with fennel - I'd hate to ruin the jasmine though.

Thanks for the warning Amy - nt - new
      #21107 - 09/18/03 08:19 AM
Shell Marr

--------------------

I mixed fennel & peppermint last night YUM new
      #21109 - 09/18/03 08:24 AM
Shell Marr

It was really good. I don't really mind the fennel by it's self.... but I wanted to try it out.......

So, I mixed 1TBL peppermint tummy tea & 1 TBL fennel tummy tea in about 8-10 oz water...... it was nice to have that peppermint taste and be fighting the bloating & gas too !!

I love these tummy teas!!

--------------------

Received Hot Packs & Peppermint Caps Today new
      #21156 - 09/18/03 06:11 PM
Shell Marr

Thank you AGAIN Heather for having these items for us!! I just took my first cap (I love the lid on this bottle, can't lose it)... will see how I do... I will hydrate the hot packs tonight!!

--------------------

Re: I mixed fennel & peppermint last night YUM new
      #21158 - 09/18/03 06:50 PM
*Melissa*

Well, I tried it using a heaping 1/2 cup of peppermint and about 1/2 of the 1/2 cup (I just eyeballed it) of fennel. I just dumped the tea in a coffee pot then poured boiling water in and after it steeped, just strained it. It was a teensy tiny bit too strong on the fennel, but nothing I couldn't handle. Now, when I want a cup, I just pour it in my mug & reheat. Very convenient!

#21163 - 09/18/03 07:10 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I did the same with the fennel. TOO strong! If I try it with the Jasmine, I'll let you know the results. You should be able to get pure jasmine. Try and oriental food store. It's inexpensive.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#21178 - 09/19/03 03:38 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks for the tip - I'll see if I can find some.

"Bodi Heat" patch & Mixing Teas new
      #21190 - 09/19/03 08:21 AM
Shell Marr

Here is a link to the Bodi Heat patch that I use during the day. I just stick them to my panties inside... and nobody can even tell I'm wearing them. MUCH cheaper then thermapatch or thermapack (not sure what they are really called). I bought mine at my local drug store but I have not seen them anywhere else.... but they are on sale at www.drugstore.com The cool thing about these is, one nobody knows your wearing it and two... you can totally function and not have to move it around or worry about it falling out..LOL

Then when I get home I can't wait to try Heather's hot pack.... I just got those yesterday.

I mixed teas again last night and the flavor was better this time..... using Heather's tummy teas again I mixed 1-1/2 TBL peppermint & 1/2 TBL fennel in my infuser ball.... put in a 8-10 oz mug and filled with hot water. (I'm making by the cup for testing) when I find the right combo for me I will make a BIG batch. I like it strong.... so, I might even play some more still.....

--------------------

Re: "Bodi Heat" patch & Mixing Teas new
      #21195 - 09/19/03 08:51 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

*sigh* Can't wait till I pay off my cruise bills and can order the teas and hotpacks.

How do you make the tea in a coffee maker, Mags?

--------------------
- Jennifer

#21206 - 09/19/03 10:22 AM
*Melissa*

Those Bodi Heat patches are much cheaper! Thanks for the great tip!

I have not seen them in any stores around here, so I may have to order them. I guess your local drug store is not a chain type, and no possibility they may have the same store out here?

#21207 - 09/19/03 10:26 AM
*Melissa*

I just used the pot (I guess they're called carafe ), not the actually maker. I boiled water on the stove, then poured it into the coffee pot that had the tea. Just like a giant cup of tea!

I think they actually have tea makers that work like a coffee pot. I thought of using the coffee pot and putting the tea in the filter just how you would coffee, but I didn't know if that would work since it wasn't actually steeping.

#21208 - 09/19/03 10:45 AM
Shell Marr

I got mine at Bartell Drug and they were $2.49 for a 3/pk..... so, figure the freight but I think drugstore.com is a better deal.

Average temperature of the Bodi Heat brand is 127 degrees. I'm not sure about Thermapatch brand.

--------------------

Re: Coffee Pot Tea new
      #21210 - 09/19/03 11:04 AM
Jennifer Rose

Hm.. definately something to try!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#21219 - 09/19/03 12:36 PM
*Melissa*

According to their website, www.beyondbodiheat.com, they say "Find Beyond Bodi Heat in major chain drugstore, grocery store, and your local independently owned stores"

If I find it any major stores around here, I'll let you know.

#21223 - 09/19/03 12:46 PM
Shell Marr

I went to the site to check it out..... there is good info there. Be sure to go back and request a free sample http://www.beyondbodiheat.com/htmls/free_sample.htm

--------------------

ThermaCare -vs- Bodi Heat (have used both now) new
      #21268 - 09/19/03 06:31 PM
Shell Marr

ok... I just tried the ThermaCare.... it does give off more heat then the Bodi Heat.... (almost too much for all day use...but that is just me)... it is also much wider & thicker.... I'm thinking I could get the same heat result by placing two Bodi Heat next to eachother and it would still be cheaper and more discreet.

--------------------

Just so people don't think I'm nuts..... new
      #21285 - 09/19/03 11:25 PM
Marilyn

I had a computer glitch that said my previous post had an error, and my computer froze. When I went back, my post wasn't there, so I made my post again..now I find the previous one went through!!!

Just didn't want you to think I lost my mind... well, I am getting forgetful, but you know what I mean...so oops on the semi-double post, though, I guess you could say, it bares repeating! LOL

--------------------

Tried Heather's Hot Pack GREAT PRODUCT new
      #21340 - 09/21/03 07:51 AM
Shell Marr

I really enjoyed that..... I have a small microwave with not a lot of watts; so I heated mine for a total of 4 mins...but check and rotated every minute. wrapped it in a towel... went to the couch where my cup of peppermint & fennel tea was steeping. Put the hot pack under my shorts and put my baggy shirt over it.... pulled a tv tray up close and played a game of solitaire.... I play that when I want to take my mind off everything else...very relaxing.

GREAT PRODUCT

--------------------

Thanks Shell!! -nt- new
      #21366 - 09/21/03 05:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Another Note On "Bodi Heat" Hot Patch new
      #21755 - 09/26/03 08:11 AM
Shell Marr

I wanted to mention one more thing just in case others are thinking of buying them.

They use your circulation in your body to warm up. So, if you just plan to use them while sitting or laying on the couch or sitting at your desk this is not the product for you, as it will not really get warm. You need to be moving around or at least up and down.

I wear them at work even though I have a desk job.... I'm up and down to the file cabinets, etc., all the time, so the up and down keeps mine warm. It is funny... when I go to lunch and walk around in the store all of a sudden it gets a little warmer and I remember that I'm wearing it. But then that heat holds for a while.

I hope that helps someone decide if this would work well for them or not so nobody spends the money and is disappointed in the results.

I have mine on now at my desk.... and tea is steeping...... and it's FRIDAY!!

--------------------

This is really good to know... new
      #21777 - 09/26/03 11:54 AM
HeatherAdministrator

I hadn't realized this at all. Is this true for all of the stick on patches, no matter what brand? I haven't yet tried the patch you gave me (and thank you! I'm waiting for menstrual cramps to hit to use it) but I'd probably be pretty inactive while it was on. If I need to be walking around and such for it to get really hot I'll save it for when I'm going out and about.

Ya know, I read over the ThermaCare site a while back and I don't remember that they said anything about this aspect of how they work. That sure would have been good info to tell people at their site - for heaven's sake!

- H

--------------------

Re: Thermacare new
      #21779 - 09/26/03 12:00 PM
Jennifer Rose

Ya know, I use the Thermacare patches all the time, and have found that if I am not really active and just rub the patch on my tummy, it stimulates air flow or something and heats up pretty good. I only have to do this rarely too.

I've tried the Bodi-heat patches before and have found those don't heat up quite as much as the Thermacare so I mainly use the Thermacare.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Bodi Heat vs Thermacare (how they work) new
      #21781 - 09/26/03 12:09 PM
Shell Marr

Bodi Heat: Perfect comfort, for sports, on the job, and after exercise.
Adhesive, Easy on Easy Off backing keeps the heat where you need it.
Odorless, clean and non-toxic. Once activated, provides heat within minutes.
Heat Pack's Exclusive Formula Works With Your Own Circulation to Spread the Warmth.

Thermacare: Each wrap contains small discs made of natural ingredients that heat up when exposed to air, providing at least 8 hours of low-level therapeutic heat on the site of pain - right where it hurts ones have

Info from drugstore.com

--------------------

#21813 - 09/26/03 10:02 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

mag i never have tried hot packs before. do they really work real good. are these bought in a box? jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#21818 - 09/27/03 04:56 AM
*Melissa*

The hot packs work great. Heather sells Techni Ice Hot/Cold Packs which work great at home. The patches (Bodi Heat & Thermacare) are sold in boxes. I've found them in the stores with the pain killers (aspirins, ibuprofen, etc.)

Hope that helps!

Re: This is really good to know... new
      #21909 - 09/29/03 04:47 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

With the Therma Care patches they start to heat up within 30 minutes of you putting them on. You don't really have to be active. I use them at night or anytime I need them. I have used them for my menstrual cramps and my IBS cramps and they work well when I am both active and resting. They work wonders for me.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 953 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review