Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Cure for IBS?
      #208526 - 08/25/05 01:22 PM
Ballinsw

Reged: 08/25/05

I just finished researching a website at www.ibsfree.com
I found the link it at www.IBSgroup.org
It says you can be rid of IBS in 30 days. It looks alright and they're not asking for money for a book or anything like that which I get really suspect about. I mean, if you got IBS and you find a cure, then why would you want to sting others who are going through the same thing! I really am sick of feeling this way. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of it before!? This is a great site btw.
Wilson

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

From the looks of things... new
      #208534 - 08/25/05 01:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all, there is NO CURE for IBS. Period. The best you can do is manage your symptoms effectively, which is totally possible. That said...

"Step 3" isn't there, so I don't know for sure, but most of the advice there is the exact same advice that Heather gives here on the site. The only difference is that they leave a few things out that are key to stabilizing your IBS - most notably, the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber foods. But also, I think that their idea to eat 3 times a day, no snacks, is crap. If you're eating small meals, as they recommend, you NEED those snacks in between or you're not going to be consuming enough calories to keep your body going.

I also don't agree that everyone needs to avoid gluten. Celiac disease and gluten intolerance can be tested for. If you don't have it, you don't need to avoid gluten.

But their advice for eating smaller meals, and for what foods to eliminate from your diet, is sound advice. You'll also want to eliminate excess oils and fats in all food... not just avoiding fast food, but salad dressings and marinades, oil and margarine in recipes, and things like that are all culprits as well.

So now that I've rambled on - the basic gist is that while their information isn't bad, you'd probably be helped a lot more by following the advice here on this site and in Heather's books, which is a lot more detailed. You won't be "cured", but you will get your symptoms under control as long as you stick with it, which is as close as you're going to get to a cure. I can vouch for it personally, and I know there's quite a few people around here who can as well.

Re: From the looks of things... new
      #208541 - 08/25/05 01:58 PM
Ballinsw

Wow, how did you manage to read their whole site in 5 minutes! Thanks for the review. I know there is no cure but maybe that was my poor choice of words. The site doesn't not say cure. My mistake.

Re: From the looks of things... new
      #208543 - 08/25/05 02:16 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Hi, I totally get where you are coming from. I know that people have been saying that there is "no cure" for IBS but I just think that they havent found a "cure" yet and it may still be out there, who knows. This site sounds good to me and I am always open for anything. I have been taking Digestive Advantage(which alot of people dont believe in) but I love it and it has been doing wonders for me with no side effects. I am C and since I have been on DA I have only had on D attack which was last night and I had not taken it before I went out to eat and pigged out!lol If you decide to give this site a try let me know how it goes! If it doesnt cost anything that is awesome!

I'm a speedreader new
      #208544 - 08/25/05 02:16 PM
atomic rose

But actually, I skipped to the "steps" - got right to the heart of what they're saying will work to eliminate the symptoms.

I wasn't knocking your choice of words, by the way. It seemed to me that if they didn't expressly say it, then they were at least strongly implying that they had a cure for IBS. Which they don't. But it's ok, because they're really not too far off base.

Welcome, by the way! I should have said that in my first reply.... always nice to have new faces around here! I hope you'll stick around and get to know us!

I hope your right SC new
      #208548 - 08/25/05 02:27 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I hope they just haven't found the cure yet. Big emphasis on yet . I would go into debt any amount of money for the cure.

Re: We can all hope!:)-nt new
      #208555 - 08/25/05 02:34 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Re: We can all hope!:)-nt new
      #208590 - 08/25/05 03:41 PM
Ballinsw

I emailed Tony at ibsfree.com and he just phoned me!
Spoke to him for about ten minutes. I told him about me finding this site and my post here and how I heard about him from another IBS group ibsgroup.org. He said he doesn't have all the answers and said it's not a cure because IBS is different for everybody but he wanted to share his experience. Cool guy!
And I'm gonna try it. Won't cost me nothing.
And I just found out Pectin is a no no for IBS. And it's in mint jelly. My favorite..grrr

What is the "program"? new
      #208596 - 08/25/05 04:27 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Is it information you download or supplements or what exactly is this "program" that you are going to try? Does he send you a diet to follow, or what?

Re: What is the "program"? new
      #208602 - 08/25/05 05:13 PM
Ballinsw

I see what you mean. I've just spent the last hour trying to get a calendar ready for tomorrow. I'm not real good on excel. I think the program is not really a program. It's just about putting it all together in one 30 day run. Pow! I'm not going to knock it but I will email and ask him for some recipes anyhoo.
Wilson

Pectin... new
      #208637 - 08/25/05 08:37 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Pectin is a soluble fiber - why exactly is it bad for IBS?

Re: Pectin... new
      #208652 - 08/25/05 10:34 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, what's wrong with pectin? It's an SF that comes from plants, mainly citrus fruits, and studies have shown that it helps both C and D (like most SFS). How does it make IBS worse?

Re: Pectin... my bad. new
      #208654 - 08/25/05 10:41 PM
Ballinsw

I think I was reading the wrong side of the good bad. Woohoo! Pectin is good again!

Wilson

Re: Pectin... my bad. new
      #208655 - 08/25/05 10:42 PM
lalala

Woohoo! Thanks for clearing that up. And welcome to the boards, by the way.

Re: Cure for IBS? new
      #208658 - 08/25/05 11:07 PM
lalala

I'm not going to argue this guy's sincerity. It sounds like he does want to help, however, he doesn't seem to do a very good job at interpreting the information he's collected. He describes gluten sensitivity, but what about it? If you're gluten sensitive than you probably have celiac disease, which means you don't necessarily have IBS. Plus he lists the following as a "typical meal" and I don't know if he means one that will definitely give you an attack (because it will if you suffer from IBS) or if it's one of his meals in his 30 day plan :
Lettuce Tacos - Fry half pound extra lean ground beef cooked in half teaspoon olive oil, garlic, salt to taste, chopped carrot and chopped zucchini. Serve in butter lettuce leaf.

BUT, what really, REALLY bothers me is the following statement:

Now that you're here, our goal is to rid you of not the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) but the cause of it.

First of all that's pretty much saying that he/they can cure IBS. He doesn't say cure, but getting "rid of the cause of it" means the exact same thing.

Second of all, the problem with IBS is that researchers, scientists, doctors, have not been able to find an organic cause. This is why we can only manage it and not cure it. IBS is not even fully understood other than it's a group of common symptoms. That's why it's called a "syndrome" and not a disease. For all we know, IBS is a catch-all term for various digestive disorders that doctors may understand better in the years to come. I believe that someday a cure will be found, but I believe it will be a result of research and studies which find what the cause of IBS is.

I'm tired of feeling sick and having to be a "picky" eater, too. I like that others who have suffered from IBS and are doing better are trying to help the rest of us. But I don't think this person is able to take the information he's gathered, such as the studies he's looked at, and make an educated, logical conclusion about the data that proves his plan can get rid of the cause of IBS in 30 days. Maybe he means getting rid of trigger foods to avoid attacks, but that's different from being "IBSfree." You might argue the same about Heather, but I feel her understanding of the various studies, the evidence she provides, the resources she lists, and the ability to communicate this information in an educated way is what makes her stand out. Plus Heather has the support of the medical community (see the introduction to The First Year: IBS written by the David Posner, MD, Chief of Gastroenterology at the Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland).

If you want to try it, that's up to you. If you feel the information he's provided makes sense and is worth a shot, go for it! Just becareful, because even people with the best intentions might not have the best information.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (08/25/05 11:24 PM)

Re: Pectin... my bad. It's good! new
      #208663 - 08/25/05 11:39 PM
Ballinsw

Yeah, sorry about that. I should read better. Thanks for the welcome. I am spun out by how many people have IBS! Maybe we all have it and only a couple of people in India don't have it! FYI I just checked the ibsfree.com site and he's added a recipe link. So maybe he read my email? I think he must be doing the site now. I did a check on the domain and he like only registered it a week ago. He must be churning out the pages as we speak because the recipe link wasn't there an hour ago. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention. Maybe IBS and forgetfulness has a link? But they looked so yummy! I just have to go shopping tomorrow now for all the ingredients!
Wilson

#208664 - 08/25/05 11:49 PM
Ballinsw

Gee you really make newbies like me look kind of stupid. It's funny you mention the tacos meal, I just saw it, I CAN eat ground meat if there's next to no fat. I know some others can't stomach it so maybe he isn't one of the more severe cases. I read somewhere that 70% of IBS people have mild, 25% have moderate and 5% severe. I only remembered it because I knew I was in the 25% group as it was the one whose lives get interrupted regularly but not so much that you can't leave the house.
I kind of agree with him though that you have to treat the cause not the other end. I read his story, a little brief but he wrote about the time as a baby and how the doctors or someone treated his exema. And it was because of the milk not the exema. And it seemed the doctors were saying one thing and all the while it was really a lot more simple than that. Because we all got different IBS I'm just hoping I have what he had so I can see it go like he seems to have. Am I making sense?
It's late.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Everything depends on how I feel. Aint that the truth.

W

#208666 - 08/25/05 11:56 PM
lalala

Quote:

Gee you really make newbies like me look kind of stupid. It's funny you mention the tacos meal, I just saw it, I CAN eat ground meat if there's next to no fat. If you're not "stable" yet (meaning you're feeling good most of the time and attacks are rare), how do you know this isn't a trigger? I know some others can't stomach it so maybe he isn't one of the more severe cases. I read somewhere that 70% of IBS people have mild, 25% have moderate and 5% severe. Yes, I remember reading this somewhere too. I'm not sure what I am. I think it changes...no matter what I'm experiencing there are triggers I always have to avoid (like red meat, dairy, high fat). I wish I could cheat once in a while, have a slice of pizza or something, but I've had such bad, scary attacks I just can't risk it. I only remembered it because I knew I was in the 25% group as it was the one whose lives get interrupted regularly but not so much that you can't leave the house.
I kind of agree with him though that you have to treat the cause not the other end. I agree with this--if we knew the cause for each of our individual IBS cases. I read his story, a little brief but he wrote about the time as a baby and how the doctors or someone treated his exema. And it was because of the milk not the exema. And it seemed the doctors were saying one thing and all the while it was really a lot more simple than that. Because we all got different IBS I'm just hoping I have what he had so I can see it go like he seems to have. I hope it works for you! Keep us updated on how it's working out for you, okay? Am I making sense? Yep.
It's late. I know! Am I making sense? Glad you've joined us here on the boards--it's always interesting to hear new perspectives and meet fellow IBSers and learn what's worked for them. Take care!

I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Everything depends on how I feel. Aint that the truth. Amen!

W

Re: Pectin... my bad. It's good! new
      #208667 - 08/25/05 11:59 PM
lalala

I know--what is it? Like 20% of the population! It's crazy. You'd think there'd be more studies, but I guess since doctors don't think it's a real "disease" and it doesn't kill you they don't worry about. Maybe we need to discuss it more openly with our friends and families and demand more from the medical community. I mean, they've done a lot for erectile dysfunction and acne.

Good luck grocery shopping tomorrow! You might want to cross-reference the ingredients with the foods to avoid list provided on this site as well as the list of triggers. Heather's explanation of WHY these foods are triggers make sense.

Best wishes!

support of the medical community new
      #208952 - 08/26/05 04:57 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I have brought Heather's book with me to every doctor I've seen, and they have all indicated -- politely or otherwise -- that they think it's bull. I guess part of the problem is I'm a bad poster child -- I've been obessively following this diet for over year and I don't feel one bit better. My new GI just looked at me like I were an idiot and said, "Why are you bothering to follow this when it obviously isn't helping?" He just didn't GET IT! I mean, if I feel this awful on safe SF, how does he think I'd feel if I were eating cheeseburgers and ice cream??? Geez.

Has anyone else gotten shot down by their doctor for following Heather's diet?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Yes, maam! new
      #208973 - 08/26/05 06:16 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

My doc had pretty much the same response, as I too, am still hurting while following the diet!

He may or may not have a point. I don't know what to think, to be honest. While I don't think eating cheeseburgers and ice cream is recommended by most docs, they don't seem to accept the SF before IF theory. Most seem to believe that a high fiber diet is most important, meaning whole wheat breads, brown rice, fresh fruits with skin and veggies all the time, etc.

Did you're doctor actually say it was okay to eat cheeseburgers and ice cream? Mine did say he doesn't understand why I don't eat dairy products since my lactose intolerance test came back negative. He thinks I am totally food focus and obsessed and that I should just eat whatever I want (including fats, dairy, eggs, meats), but high fiber.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

What did you doctor not like about it? new
      #208992 - 08/26/05 06:57 PM
lalala

Do you mind if I ask what part they thought was bull? The diet? The stress management? Exercise? Perhaps some doctors don't feel that diet or certain foods can be a trigger since there haven't really been any specific studies on that? Really, I'd like to know what parts they disagreed with! I'm trying to learn as much as I can as well.

Maybe I worded it too strongly, but the book seems to have had positive responses from physicians and gastroenterologists. I've had doctors recommend almost exactly what she covers in the book, regarding the diet, using an SFS, seeking out support, etc, but perhaps not in as much detail.

Yeah, I'm curious too, because... new
      #208995 - 08/26/05 07:03 PM
atomic rose

...the diet itself is well-balanced, high in fiber (both kinds!) and low in fat, which is a diet that the entire general population should be following anyway, not just people with IBS. And the lifestyle recommendations - exercise, stress management, etc - are things that "healthy" people should be doing as well. I'd actually be kind of suspicious of any doctor who listened to an explanation of what the book recommends, and then calls it "bull", because it's sound lifestyle advice, even if it doesn't help the IBS symptoms!

My doctors - I've had 2 and a therapist since moving here - have all thought that it sounded perfect, for pretty much the reasons I just mentioned... so I'm curious!

what doctors have said new
      #209003 - 08/26/05 07:35 PM
jen1013

I am talking about the diet ONLY. It really is very specific and isn't just low-fat with a fiber base. So I explained the diet with the SF vs. IF, the SF *before* IF, no HFCS, no carbonation, low-fat, no caffeine, no red meat, etc. etc. etc. They agreed about high-fiber but kept pushing brown rice, whole wheat bread, raw veggies, Metamucil, whatever. Stuff that would kill me. The low-fat part was slightly iffier but they agreed it wouldn't do anything but good. The rest of the stuff they thought was nuts. You know, like they thought eating dairy was OK as long as you weren't actually lactose intolerant. I will grant you that the new GI I went to did tell me to avoid artificial sweeteners. I about died in shock when he said that -- acknowledgement that what you ingest has an effect on the GI tract! (is it just me or does this look like a skull?)

And no, my doctors never recommended specifically cheeseburgers and ice cream! They have all told me that since I am miserable anyway I should just eat what I want. So that was just an example of what stupid advice that was.

I hate doctors.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Yeah, I'm curious too, because... new
      #209079 - 08/27/05 10:03 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My GI guy thought the high SF recommendation was fabulous - just what he'd suggest. He sort of shrugged at the no red meat, no alcohol suggestion - he wouldn't have said that, but he didn't have a problem with it if it worked for me. (I have a sneaking suspicion that he himself is a steak and scotch guy.) My Family Practice doctor and my endocrinologist love the diet because my cholesterol and my triglycerides took a nose dive.

As far as doctors saying, "Eat whatever you want", I don't think that's necessarily bad advice if restricting your eating isn't making any difference. In other words, if following Heather's diet makes you feel better then follow it. But if it doesn't, why would you? I follow Heather's diet because it works for me, not because I "believe" in it. As I've said before, if I had tried the diet for, say, 6 months and didn't get results, I'd be eating differently.

Before I found Heather's diet and her explanation of exactly how food triggered attacks, when I was first having really serious trouble with my IBS, my Family Practice physician cautioned me that, since IBS attacks were so unpredictable, I was likely to get one no matter what I'd eaten. She said she had seen patients therefore assume that something they'd just eaten had triggered the attack and eliminate another food with each attack. Eventually, those patients were eating practically nothing - and still suffering.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (08/27/05 10:03 AM)

It's not the "not feeling better" part ... new
      #209096 - 08/27/05 11:40 AM
jen1013

I follow Heather's diet because I am afraid of feeling worse. As in, if I get attacks from FF saltines and organic applesauce, how would I feel if I went back to eating "real" yogurt and grapes for lunch?

I was on a varied form of the BTC diet for probably my first six months or so. I finally started to add stuff like soy products and peanut butter into my diet because I felt so bad anyway. It didn't make any difference -- I didn't feel worse or better.

I figure that it doesn't do me any harm to follow Heather's diet, so why not stick to it? I mean, if I'm not going to stabilize on Heather's diet, I'm not going to stabilize off it, either, so may as well follow the more gut-friendly diet.

--------------------
jen

But how do you know? (m) new
      #209129 - 08/27/05 03:49 PM
Sand

I'm not trying to be a pain, but how do you know if real yogurt and grapes would make you feel worse? (Sigh. This is one of those times when typing just doesn't work as well as talking.) If you felt bad before Heather's diet when you were eating whatever you wanted and you don't feel better now, then I guess I don't see the value of restricting your diet. That is, if you don't feel any better on Heather's diet, then it seems like you wouldn't feel any worse off it.

I agree there's no harm in following Heather's diet - it's certainly heatlhier than fast food, high fat, and junk food - but I guess I think of it as being gut-friendly only if it actually helps the IBS. That is, I don't think real yogurt and fresh fruit are bad for the gut, so the only reason to avoid them is if doing so keeps you from having an attack.

Can you tell I'm super results oriented?

I imagine you already have, but just in case: you have had all the tests to rule out other conditions, yes? I only ask because I think it's pretty rare for someone who's D to get so little help from Heather's diet, especially combined with anti-spasmodics and mega-Immodium.

I do hope you start to feel better.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I don't know new
      #209146 - 08/27/05 04:59 PM
jen1013

I do know it is only the anti-spasmodics & Imodium that keeps the D manageable. I have tried weaning myself off Imodium, but I get D-ish on the second day and on the third day I'm back in the bathroom. I guess I feel like, well, if I'm getting sick like this on Heather's diet, then won't I feel worse w/ trigger foods like dairy products, or eating insolubles like grapes? You're right, though, I haven't tried it so I can't say I truly will. I don't know if I'm brave enough to do so.

I've had all the major tests -- gallblader checked, colonoscopy, endoscopy, capsule endoscopy, CAT scan of abdomen, tons of bloodwork (not sure for what exactly but the bill was $1500!). I'm getting a second colonoscopy next month because I've had several episodes of blood in my stool. I don't have an ob-gyn so I've never been checked for anything gyno-related but the GI didn't think my symptoms warranted it. I have my yearly pelvic next month w/ my PCP and am going to get referred to an ob-gyn since I want to get pregnant next year (if I can manage to feel better ), so I'll definitely bring it up with the ob-gyn.

Crohn's runs in my mother's family, and one of my mom's cousins swears that I have it, because it took her four years to get diagnosed. I don't know a whole lot about Crohn's but I think it's pretty easy to spot, so I'm not worried about that. OK, so maybe it took her a long time, but that was twenty years ago. I'm sure things are a lot better today.

The other stuff I can think of seems awfully far-fetched. For instance, when we bought our house, they had to drill a new well because the water in the old well was not safe to drink because of high bacteria levels. The new well tested out OK, but if there's something in the ground then maybe the new well has also ended up with bacteria? But I don't know how plausible that is, so I'm still drinking the well water. I guess I could get it tested just in case. We also ripped out everything in the second story of our house and it has been exposed for a long time. I also worked up there handling stuff chock-full of asbestos and lead without a dust mask. So I've been told I ought to get tested for lead poisoning. I don't think that's likely because then wouldn't my husband be sick too??? I checked up on the lead poisoning tests and it looks like it's not that reliable anyway.

I just figure I have plain old IBS, only it's being stubborn. I do plan on going gluten-free after my colonoscopy to see if that helps. The GI told me not to change anything until the colonoscopy is done. I think that's stupid because it's not like I'm getting an endoscopy or anything, but I guess I need the time to use up all the wheat products in my house anyway.

--------------------
jen

Re: Yeah, I'm curious too, because... new
      #209147 - 08/27/05 05:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

My doctors - I've had 2 and a therapist since moving here - have all thought that it sounded perfect, for pretty much the reasons I just mentioned... so I'm curious!

Mine too. He said it was great! and I couldn't do better. He hadn't heard of Heather but was very impressed and excited. I haven't needed to see him since!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

well I don't know new
      #209149 - 08/27/05 05:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My gut feeling is you might have something other than IBS. For IBS D Heather's diet is going to get good results and pretty quickly. To be on it so carefully for so long without being able to ease up on immodium sounds suspicious. If I were you I would definitely worry about Crohn's or something other than IBS.

A side point. To answer your question about wouldn't your husband be sick too if it was from something physical around you, not always. Sometimes certain people react to things and not others. Like those towns with toxic waste- only a portion of the population gets cancer, if you know what I mean. I think my husband got a bug from drinking water we both were drinking and I was ok. So you never know!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

This is my reasoning too, so far new
      #209162 - 08/27/05 06:22 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am worried if I don't keep trying Heather's diet, I won't have any chance of not feeling well.

I'll keep doing this until something better sounding comes along.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: well I don't know new
      #209174 - 08/27/05 08:10 PM
jen1013

I think if it were something other than IBS they would've found it by now. I was worried at first but I've had enough tests you'd think something would show up. I really should go get the water tested. I guess it's possible that I have IBS that's being aggravated by bad water?? That sounds stupid, but if people can get sick from drinking water in Mexico, surely they can get sick from drinking Iowa well water.

Oh well. I'll manage.

--------------------
jen

Re: I don't know new
      #209205 - 08/28/05 07:36 AM
Sand

I'm kind of with LittleMinnie here - I'd suspect something other than IBS. I know you think the well water thing sounds stupid, but if you haven't been tested for parasites, I think that might be worth pursuing. It will be miserable because my understanding is that you have to do 3 separate stool samples, but it might be worth it. I know you've talked about having another colonoscopy and I think that's a good idea, especially if you've been having blood and "coffee grounds" in your stool.

As for SFS, there are non-gum SFS - Heather lists them here. Also someone (Dalia?) has mentioned just pure psyllium (sp?) as a possibility.

There's also a really off-the-wall SF. I've never tried it, but the Website says it's similar to pectin, so if you can tolerate applesauce, maybe you can tolerate this. Here's the post where I ran across it. (I have no idea why this stuck in my head, but it did.)

I do hope you find something that helps you feel better. Take care.

--------------------

aggghhhh, stool sample new
      #209249 - 08/28/05 12:02 PM
jen1013

I am actually supposed to submit a stool sample to the GI -- they only asked for one, though, not three. Only problem is that I work full-time 45 minutes away from the GI's office during the same hours that the office is open. It's possible I could leave work early one day, but there is NO WAY I am walking into the bathroom at work with the "stool sample accessories" and getting it done there. I would just have too much performance anxiety plus I would die if someone was in the bathroom and saw me carting my huge brown paper grocery bag out of the stall. ("What's SHE doing in there?!") My only option is to do it first thing in the AM and getting my husband to take it in (who works in the same city as the GI). But I rarely ever manage to have a BM first thing in the morning unless I am having D, and I don't want to send in a stool sample that sloshes! So this stupid stool sample is hanging over my head. (Hm, that sounds disgusting, doesn't it?)

I used to get "coffee grounds" in my stool all the time, but it's been a couple months since it happened. I thought that the coffee ground effect was blood only if you were throwing it up? I am worried about making myself paranoid so I try to avoid doing research on the Internet.

I have tried all of the SFSes on Heather's list except Equalactin, Fybogel, and Konsyl -- I haven't found any of them in the stores here. I'm debating trying slippery elm but am a little leery of all those unregulated "health supplements". Is this Konjac stuff a gum as well? The link refers to it as "Konjac gum". I'll have to read through it more later. I hate buying stuff off the Internet that's supposed to help with your health, though, I feel like I'm one step away from hanging up holistic crystals over my bed.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I love these boards. I never dreamed that someday that I would be cheerfully discussing my bowels with a whole bunch of people I've never met.

--------------------
jen

Re: aggghhhh, stool sample new
      #209262 - 08/28/05 01:13 PM
Sand

I think it may be easier to discuss my bowels with a bunch of people I've never met than with people I have to actually see face to face on a regular basis.

I know what you mean about the stool sample hanging over your head (and it is an interesting visual). I was so glad Heather's diet worked for me because otherwise I would have felt compelled to do multiple samples to be sure I'd ruled out every parasite known to humankind. I was even considering the whole Smoky Mountain Labs route or whatever it is. I had this king size picture of me mailing stool samples to someone. Oh, please.

As for the "coffee grounds" thing, you might be right about it only being a problem if you're throwing it up and, if so, I'm sorry if I worried you for nothing. And I think you're very smart to avoid doing Internet research - you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I found about IBS before I found Heather's Website.

I didn't pick up on the "gum" thing with Konjac - I just saw the "similar to pectin" part. As for hanging holistic crystals, I actually did accupuncture for a while and it helped - for a while.

The other thing that helped - for a while - was Elavil, but it does have side-effects.

I do hope you find something that helps and soon. IBS-D is miserable and besides that it's amazing the amount of energy required to run the doctor/test marathon.

Take care.

--------------------

parasites new
      #209299 - 08/28/05 05:15 PM
jen1013

but can parasites make you sick for over a YEAR??? Plus wouldn't you be able to see evidence of them? (Ahhh, I long for the days when I could just go to the bathroom without anxiously examining the toilet paper ... )

I was on Elavil for two weeks. I went off it because I had turned into a depressed, neurotic wreck who sat around crying and eating massive quantities of Skittles. I was also falling asleep at work if I sat down for more than 2-3 minutes. I know I should have stuck with it longer, but I was getting really scared about the way I had become.

--------------------
jen

Re: parasites new
      #209398 - 08/29/05 09:40 AM
Sand

I don't know enough about parasites to answer your questions definitively, but I think parasites could make you sick for a year and I don't think there's necessarily any sign of them. You can do a Search on the Diet Board for "parasite" with no time limit and you'll get a lot of hits, including some from people who actually had the little suckers and one that mentions the Smoky whatever lab. There's also a post that talks about a 6-7 days explosive D pattern sometimes being indicative of giardia (I think it was).

I'm beginning to think I'm making you feel worse rather than better and that's not what I intended. It's just that if I had intransigent IBS-D that didn't respond to Heather's approach, I'd be turning over every rock I could find to see what else could be going on.

As for Elavil, I didn't do the depressed and neurotic part, but the "Elavil sweet tooth" is a classic I definitely participated in. As for falling asleep, oh, yeah. I started taking Elavil on Thursday. On Saturday a friend came to stay with us for a week's visit. On Monday, we were going to Kykuit (the Rockefeller estate). We all got dressed and had breakfast and I went upstairs to put on my earrings. I sat down on the bed for just a minute and half an hour later my husband was waking me up - he's come up to see what happened because I just disappeared.

The falling asleep at a moment's notice disappeared after a week or two, but I continued to crave 9, 10, 11, sometimes 24 hours of sleep a night. Because the help from Elavil wore off after a few weeks, my doctor kept pumping the dosage: 10mg, worked for a few weeks, stopped; 25 mg, worked for a few weeks, stopped; and so on. I got up to 75, I think. At that point I still wasn't depressed, but I was totally apathetic. I really couldn't think of any good reason to get out of bed in the morning - not sad, just utterly disinterested. After a month of two of that, I found Heather's diet, went on it, and went off the Elavil.

Long story, but the point of it is that for me Elavil wasn't a long-term solution - it didn't work for more than a few weeks at each dosage and the ultimate side effects were unendurable. It did, however, give me a few little breaks in the then constant D and that was psychologically very helpful. (Read: it kept me from throwing myself under a speeding tractor-trailer.) However, I wasn't working, so if I wanted to nap at 10:30 in the morning or sleep for 14 hours, I could.

One last thought and I feel kind of stupid even suggesting this, but you might try posting what you're eating. I can't imagine there's anything in your diet that's causing problems, but it's sort of the last thing I can think of.

Take care.

--------------------

Jen - make sure they give you the blood test for gluten intolerance, new
      #209404 - 08/29/05 09:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and that you take the test BEFORE you stop eating gluten. Celiac is overlooked for ten years on average in the US, so double check that they have tested you for this - if they haven't, insist on it asap.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

no, you're not making me feel worse! new
      #209595 - 08/29/05 05:30 PM
jen1013

that's not possible! No, seriously, it does help to talk about it. If nothing maybe that's 15 minutes less DH has to hear about my bowels.

I have often thought about posting my diet on the fitness board. But I don't see it as helping. I have never eaten anything without searching on the boards to see how safe it is. My diet is pretty limited, anyway. During the week for meals, I generally have 2-3 cups applesauce plus lots of bland starchy stuff -- saltines, safe muffins, pretzels, ff tortillas with 1/2 t reduced-fat PB, mashed potatoes. (Most days I have ff saltines for breakfast.) I will also sneak some chicken and tuna in, but on the whole I don't get enough protein. I know how to eat -- if my stomach is empty, I eat ff saltines or pretzels and wait a little bit before attempting anything else. Because I also have GERD, I hardly ever eat stuff like tomatoes, onions, or garlic. I do eat more sugary desserts on weekends, but I stick to more "basic" desserts that are really pretty much just SF and sugar.

I have become such an obsessive label-reader that when I was looking for shampoo, I picked up the bottle and read the ingredients, and then put it back because it had sorbitol in it.

--------------------
jen

yup, I've had it -- twice new
      #209596 - 08/29/05 05:31 PM
jen1013

and my endoscopy didn't show anything, either. But thanks for pointing it out

--------------------
jen

Re: no, you're not making me feel worse! new
      #209732 - 08/30/05 08:36 AM
Sand

Quote:

that's not possible! No, seriously, it does help to talk about it. If nothing maybe that's 15 minutes less DH has to hear about my bowels.

Good point. I guess he owes us, then.

As far as your diet, it looks safe enough to me. I assume the mashed potatoes have no dairy and that you've tried the straight Break The Cycle diet at least once with no better results. I have yet to attempt peanut butter myself, but I know a lot of people on the Board can eat the reduced fat stuff with no trouble.

Quote:

I have become such an obsessive label-reader that when I was looking for shampoo, I picked up the bottle and read the ingredients, and then put it back because it had sorbitol in it.

LOL. Although I suppose it's not really all that funny.

I'm plumb out of ideas. I don't know whether to hope your colonoscopy turns up something - not serious and fixable - or not. I do hope you and your GI find an answer.

--------------------

I'll third that- new
      #209777 - 08/30/05 11:07 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

my doctor thought it was awesome how I've felt afterwards!(save for this summer and the attacks when I wasnt EATING THE DIET!!)lol!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#209864 - 08/30/05 04:59 PM
jen1013

no dairy in the mashed potatoes! They are instant, but with no bad stuff in them. I just add water to keep them fat-free. No milk or margarine.

I didn't eat PB for a long time -- maybe the first six months? It doesn't make me feel noticeably worse. I am a PB junkie so maybe I am in denial. I don't eat a lot of it anyway, just because it's so high in fat and a tiny scraping of PB on a cracker is so unsatisfying.

Yes, I've been on the BTC diet many times! In fact, most days what I eat is very BTC-ish. Today I've had ff saltines, applesauce, and some plain baked potatoes.

I doubt that the second colonoscopy will find anything. I'm pretty sure that the GI will say, yup, it's IBS, now how about some of these nice anti-depressants?

Oh well. Such is life. I am really hoping that once I get pregnant I'll become C. pregnancy as an IBS aid??

--------------------
jen

#209880 - 08/30/05 05:41 PM
Sand

I'm having a colonscopy and endoscopy on Thursday (a "double dip" as my GI so cutely calls it) and one of the things my GI is going to look for is "microscopic colitis". You might make sure your GI is going to check for it during your colonoscopy. (One mildly fringey Website I found believes that is somehow related to gluten intolerance and possibly to other autoimmune diseases like arthritis and fibro.)

Pregnancy as an IBS aid seems a little extreme to me, but if you're looking to get pregnant anyhow, I hope pregnancy makes your IBS behave - sort of a side benefit to counteract the other, less positive physical changes that come with pregnancy.

Take care.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4998 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17774

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review