All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Weight Loss Ideas
      #20750 - 09/15/03 12:05 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have been on the IBS diet for about 9 months now and have lost ZERO pounds. I am a little overweight - not too bad - but could definately stand to shed a few pounds.

I follow the IBS diet pretty well and eat my 6 times a day and hardly ever have junk food - but do eat the loaves very frequently.

In the past I stuck with greens to lose weight, but now with the IBS stuff I know it's not such a good idea. Does anyone have any ideas on how to shed some weight?

I haven't been exercising regularly - which I should do - but I haven't really stuck with it.....does anyone have any ideas on how to stick with a program. I prefer riding my bike outside. I don't like aerobics etc inside.

It's just that - when I get home I want to make some supper and do some laundry, tidy the house etc.....and I have trouble getting up to early in the morning so that one is a terrible idea.

Help!

Maybe I should just stop being so difficult! LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Loss Ideas new
      #20754 - 09/15/03 12:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - if you're not overeating (and it sounds like you aren't) then increasing your calories burned, instead of decreasing your calorie intake, is probably the best way to go. So yeah, you said it, you gotta exercise more. Easier said than done, I know.

Is there any set time of day when you can get out and bike, no matter what? First thing in the morning never worked for me either (I am not a morning person, to put it very mildly), but what about right after work? I mean the minute you get home, you walk in the house, change your clothes (maybe have workout clothes laid out from that morning or night before), and get right back out again before you do anything at all? That's worked for me in the past with walking. Sometimes I didn't even change my work clothes, just my shoes, and I was back out the door in less than 5 minutes. I found if I waited until after dinner, cleaning up, etc. I just never got out.

The funny thing is that you'll probably find you have so much more energy when you come back from exercising that you end up getting all the chores done as well.

The other tip is to watch your sugar intake. It can be easy to eat a lot of safe sweets, but sugar is just empty calories and you don't need them.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#20760 - 09/15/03 12:59 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I know exactly what you mean, Lana!

I have lost some weight by being on the diet, but mostly because I've had some pretty bad weeks lately where it was nothing but potatoes and rice for a while.

I also don't exercise and I know that's my problem. I am NOT a morning person and when I get home, I have school 2 nights a week and usually something going on the rest of the week with family. So it's very rare if I go home right after work.

Maybe we'll just have to be supportive to each other and yell.. er.. encourage if the other doesn't find some time to fit 30 mins of exercise in.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#20761 - 09/15/03 01:04 PM
Lana_Marie

Thanks for your advice ! Glad to know I am not the only one who is not a morning person LOL. If I started getting up to work out - my husband would be sure to still leave before that happens so he didn't have to deal with me LOL

Maybe we should be each others support sytems. Maybe we could check in weekly with each other and whomever else wants to check in - just to discuss our progress and why we never felt like it - and we have to be honest and still nice to one another LOL

I think that would help me out alot. Maybe we could motivate each other.

Take Care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#20762 - 09/15/03 01:14 PM
Lana_Marie

I will have to try the right after work thing.....and I will have to stick to it. That's what I would do before, I would change AS SOON AS I got home and be out there. I am gonna have to stick with that.

How long does a person have to work out a day to make a difference? I think I push myself too much and then don't feel like going the next day because I am too tired.
How do I decrease my calories? How do I learn about that?
What do you mean by safe sweet?

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#20764 - 09/15/03 01:23 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I am trying to watch my calories also, because I've gained 5 lbs since being on the IBS diet. I was looking at the How Calories Work on www.howstuffwork.com. It gives you a formula to figure out your basal metabolic rate (or how much calories you'd need if you were to just sit & breathe all day) then calculate in your physical activitiy...blah, blah. They explain it a lot better than I can. Check it out and see what you think.

#20766 - 09/15/03 01:33 PM
Lana_Marie

I did have a look at this site and will have to take a better look soon.

You can just find anything on that little puter of yours huh Miss Maggie Mae LOL

Thanks again!
It even has a calorie counter - which will be really helpful.

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#20770 - 09/15/03 01:53 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Definitely! I think I am going to set a low goal for myself so that I don't try to shoot too high. Maybe 30 minutes 3 times a week for starters. Then I can increase slowly as I find ways to balance my time.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#20774 - 09/15/03 02:26 PM
Lana_Marie

Ok - Do we want to start right away....or just tomorrow...LOL It reminds me of this sign my grandma had on her fridge that said My Diet is and then you could turn the sign to on or off. LOL

Maybe she should pass that down to her grand daughter LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#20780 - 09/15/03 02:42 PM
JAZMom

Reged: 07/09/03

Hi Lana Marie,

I read these boards almost every day but really don't get a chance to post messages too often. I have been following Heather's guidelines (for the most part!) for about 2 months and have seen a major improvement in how I feel. I have been suffering from IBS-D for about 30 years!

What I recently realized is that after each of my 3 boys was born I did Weight Watchers to lose some weight. Not only did it work, but when I looked back at those times, my guts were really feeling good then. Weight Watchers is really based on low fat, high fiber and low calorie foods but has lots of flexibility in it. Obviously we all have to watch the "kind" of fiber we eat, but I now see that Weight Watchers is so perfect for IBS sufferers in so many ways. I didn't know it then but by doing Weight Watchers I was cutting back on so much fat and adding so much fiber that my IBS wasn't flaring up. You should check out their website at www.WeightWatchers.com. There is so much info there.

I am really not a "meeting person" so I pretty much just went to the local center long enough to learn how the program works and then went about it on my own. I did, however find that going in there weekly just to weigh in kept me on track! They also have a way now for you to do everything on line and at home without ever attending a meeting. I also foud that somehow spending a little money on my weight loss program kept me motivated since I didn't want to feel I was paying for nothing! They encourage exercise of some kind and it is built into the program to find ways for each person to fit it into their lifestyle. Not to go on and on but it is such a good program and so doable for those of us with IBS. The best part is that you actually eat real food, not "diet" food so that once you know the guidelines you can keep them in mind long after you have lost your weight so you don't gain it back!

I have recently gotten back to doing some excercising after many excuses about being too busy and am hoping to be able to stick with it for a while - not one of my strong points. Good Luck!

Sharon

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2596

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review