All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS AND an intestinal parasite! This is not fair!
      #20630 - 09/13/03 12:28 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

I stopped posting a while back because I've been struggling with a whole new gut problem--After continuing to have weeks and weeks of what I thought was my worst IBS attack ever, and the diet not working at all, I had some tests done. Found out I have blastocystis hominus, which is a microscopic organism that can invade the intestines. About 20-25% of people in this country have it. But a lot of people are asymptomatic, or they fight it off and get rid of it. Unfortunately if you have IBS, you probably can't fight it off, and you can get pretty sick from it--and apparently you can have it for YEARS! I cried for 3 days when I found this out. I have enough chronic illness as it is!

My primary care doc gave me a combo of antibiotics, which made me feel better for a day, then I was sick again. So I went to a doctor who knows more about this stuff, and he gave me an antibiotic that is about 90% effective in eradicating the problem. I'm feeling a little better, but still not up to speed--probably from being sick for so long. I have been able to eat a little more normally this week.

Anyway, two reasons for telling this long story: 1) If you have a bad attack that goes on for weeks and the diet doesn't stabilize you, get tested! There could be something else going on. It's easy to avoid the docs because we figure it's just our IBS. Plus, doctors often don't treat blasto because the general population will fight it off or not even feel sick! (I had to insist that my primary care doc at least TRY to help me get rid of it!) 2) Has anyone else gone through this? How long before you got well? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Judithg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS AND an intestinal parasite! This is not fair! new
      #20653 - 09/13/03 09:13 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

You poor thing! I have been through a similar experience, but in reverse. You see I got giardia, a parasite, and then got rid of it. Then about a year later, I traveled to Nicaragua where I got another parasitic infection but it was a mysterious parasite. No one ever identified it. I was out on Flagyl after two months of doctors trying to identify the type of parasite. I gained weight, even though I was unable to really eat, and was deathly ill for months. As a result of all of this, I now have IBS. In retrospect, I think I may have developed IBS in between the two parasitic infections. Who knows!!
I too have other chronic illnesses and can relate to where you're coming from not wanting anymore! Hang in there. Follow the diet closely or as well as you can. Eat what you can tolerate and keep the doctors informed about everything. They can brush so many of these things off as in my case and then you are left to suffer. Best of luck and feel better soon.

#20667 - 09/14/03 08:47 AM
Judithg

Leah--Did the Flagyl help? I was on a combo of Flagyl and Cipro, and I was better than worse again. So my new doc gave me Humatin, which is an antibiotic specifically used for intestinal infections--but it doesn't say in the PDR that it's for the one I've got, so most docs don't prescribe it (they go by the book, of course). But my doc says it is much more effective and has few side effects. Anyway, did you actually get rid of the parasite(s)?

I can see how you might have developed IBS from such an ordeal. I just finished my antibiotics, and there's a chance I've gotten over the bug, and I do feel better--but still with lots of IBS symptoms that are worse than what I had before. I think this kind of infection is really hard on your system--much worse than traditional doctors seem to understand.

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I'm trying to stick to the diet and do everything I can to feel better! And it also helps to know I'm not the only one who's gone through this!

#20672 - 09/14/03 11:36 AM
Leah

HI again! Yes, the Flagyl did help. I think, and they think, the parasites are gone now. I sure hope so!! I even named my parasite to help me feel better about the alien invasion. Her name was Gertrude. Hee Hee! Also, after the whole ordeal, I took, and still take, a lot of probiotics. This seems to help the intestinal track heal and get back some good bacteria. I have found two good brands:Kyo-Dophilus and CranDophilus. You should be able to get them at any heath food store.
Is your's gone now? Do you know how you got it? I hope you get to feeling better. Keep me updated and remember you're not alone is all of this!!
Leah

#20721 - 09/15/03 07:28 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Judith!

I am so sorry to hear this....it is difficult enough to have IBS never mind having addition trouble.

I am happy to hear you were able to be diagnosed and therefore you can start treatment. I truly hope you are able to get back on your feet and get rolling again.

Please keep us posted on your status.

Take care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#20722 - 09/15/03 07:39 AM
kiks

Reged: 08/19/03

I'm really sorry to hear about this happening to you guys, but I'm glad that someone might be able to help me figure out what caused by IBS symptoms! Do you know what blood tests check for these kind of parasites?
My symptoms started upon my return from Mexico, but my first two doctors claimed I didn't have an infection of any kind (I'm IBS-C, Pain). Now, my new doctor says that there has to be a connection between my "IBS" and Mexico, but she didn't explain it very well. I'm soooo confused! I've been on Flagyl (because one doctor thought I might have Crohn's!) and I think it did help a little, but I don't know for sure. Any advice would be very appreciated! Good luck to you!

Insult to the gut and how it can cause the onset of IBS... new
      #20753 - 09/15/03 12:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi kiks, and welcome! Your new doc is right - there probably is a connection between your onset of symptoms in Mexico and your IBS now. This is a bit different than Judith, though, who actually has two separate problems - IBS and the intestinal parasite. But, if you haven't been tested for intestinal parasites, do ask your doc about this. They're one of the things that needs to be ruled out for a diagnosis of IBS. For details about diagnostic criteria, check the IBS Glossary here web page

I'm guessing what happened to you is termed an "insult to the gut". This is what leads to the onset of IBS for a significant number of people with the disorder (though not all of them). Basically, you suffered a severe physical trauma to your gut (perhaps dysentery, or amoebic assault, or food poisoning) in Mexico. You then recovered from the physical insult itself, but were left with a dysfunctional enteric (gut) nervous system, and thus IBS.

There's in-depth info about this in the First Year IBS book, and that whole chapter is posted on the site. Check here web page for gut insult info, and here web page for all the other chapters to read through. This is a great starting point, and with IBS information is really key to managing your symptoms.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#20923 - 09/16/03 04:02 PM
Judithg

Kiks--This is what I'm learning about this whole problem: You can definitely pick up parasites in Mexico, but they are prevalent in this company too. I have not been out of the country (except to Alberta!) in two years. 20-25% of the people in this country have the particular parasite I have; other kinds are quite prevalent as well, such as giardia. A lot of people aren't bothered by the infection so much, and their systems may even be able to fight it off. But a lot of us who have weak digestive systems and IBS have more trouble with this and can get sick and stay sick for awhile. Most doctors use Flagyl to treat all these different parasites, but it is often only about 50% effective. Humatin is a more effective antibiotic, but not as commonly used. It isn't as hard on your body as Flagyl. The only definitive way to be diagnosed is through stool testing (no blood tests for it). This is no fun, but it's a good thing to do. The gold standard for diagnostic testing of this sort is Great Smokies Laboratories. But most doctors just use their local lab--which is kind of hit and miss. Great Smokies is the most thorough. If you can find a doc who uses them, that's best.

As Leah said, it's critical to take probiotics while you're on the antibiotics (I take them all the time to help my digestive system).

A lot of general practitioners and even GI docs don't know a lot about parasites--look for a doc that specializes or has a lot of experience with this.

Hope this helps. If I learn more from my new doc, I'll pass it on. And thank you for your kind words and support!!

Judith

Re: Insult to the gut and how it can cause the onset of IBS... new
      #20926 - 09/16/03 04:05 PM
Judithg

Good point, Heather--it's definitely two different problems. I'm wondering though: If you already have IBS, then you get a parasitic infection, you may have a harder time bouncing back from it, even after the parasitic infection is cured. Even more important to stick to the diet and take good care of yourself, huh?

Judith

#20945 - 09/16/03 07:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Yep, I think this is true. Also for things like stomach flu, abdominal surgery, etc. Anything that sets you off once you already have IBS is likely to hit you harder than someone with a normal gut. But, good news is, if you're familiar with ways to manage IBS already, you'll be able to take charge and stabilize more quickly than someone who's always had a cast iron stomach and is suddenly faced with GI problems.

Always lookin' for that silver lining, I am!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Insult to the gut...a ? for Heather new
      #20951 - 09/16/03 08:40 PM
Leah

Heather, insult to the gut is so what happened to me! I will read more about it. Does IBS after gut insult remain forever or does it go away eventually? Thanks for the help.
Leah

Re: Insult to the gut...a ? for Heather new
      #20961 - 09/17/03 01:13 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Well, IBS (whether insult-triggered or not) seems to be pretty permanent for most everyone. Some people do go into complete remission for years, and some folks feel so close to 100% better after gut-directed hypnotherapy that they consider themselves cured. But these seem to be exceptions, unfortunately.

However, it is pretty clear that the more you can get yourself stabilized, the more likely you are to stay that way, in a sort of vicious cycle in reverse. So getting things under control is the best bet for staying that way in the long run.

- H

--------------------

#21483 - 09/22/03 06:20 PM
kiks

Thanks so much Heather and all! I'm guessing "insult to the gut" is what my doctor is refering to. I want to get stool tests, but will it be too late now? It's been like 5 months now, and I am feeling better.
But, recently I've had a lot of pain in my upper abdomen, right below my chestbone. It is like heartburn, but I think it's lower. Does anyone know much about stomach ulcers? I know that's not IBS, but I'm confused about what this is all about. One thing is under control, and another starts up! I guess they could be related???
Suggestions welcome as always! Thanks again!

Re: KIKS new
      #21485 - 09/22/03 08:05 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Kiks,
Are you sure it isn't acid reflux or heart burn you're experiencing? I have GERD and experience no heartburn, but I can get severe pain in my upper abdomen, right below my chestbone when I don't take my medicine (Nexium). Imagine my surprise after my GI scoped me and found inflammation in my Esophagus and around the lineing of my stomach.
From reading your posts my impression is you haven't had tests done to rule out other disorders besides IBS. Hopefully your new doctor will order tests for you to see what is going on. Keep us posted.
BTW one of my first tests was a stool cultural to check for parasites and I have never left the country.
Good luck and hope you find some answers soon.

Re: KIKS new
      #21618 - 09/23/03 09:11 PM
kiks

Wow, thanks for your advice Barbara. I know that I have GERD, and I'm taking prevacid, but the pain is still there sometimes. I've been taking 30 mg a day for about 3 weeks now... shouldn't it be working by now? Do you think nexium is better?
As far as the parasite situation goes, I'm now really angry I never had a stool test done. I'm going to see GI #3 next week, and hopefully he will CARE more than the other two. I feel like I'm hoping for too much
Again, thanks for your help, Kiks

Judithg -- are you around? new
      #45628 - 02/18/04 10:30 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Judithg -- are you around? or anyone else who has been treated for parasites? new
      #45629 - 02/18/04 10:52 PM
barb n

Our daughter was stool tested recently by a thorough, sensitive lab similar to the Great Smokies Lab and they found some parasites, bacteria and yeast overgrowth. We are in the process of researching all this, as there is alot of controversy and differing opinions about diagnoses as well as treatment and even whether they should be treated at all. Since the conventional medical labs do not even detect many of these organisms -- or do not consider them to be problems -- it seems to me that this whole issue could be an important one for many IBSers. Judith -- i did a search and saw that you began treatment with Humitin in July -- i wonder if you would share your experience since then -- and anyone else who has been treated for these things. Thank you !!!

#45651 - 02/19/04 08:27 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I don't think I have a parasite but I do have some kind of stomach virus or bacteria. My doctor says that people with IBS take way longer to fight things. The problem is that I can't eat ANYTHING. Not white rice. mashed potatoes or plain white bread without getting stomach cramps and d or c. Any suggestions on how to clear this up? I got a stool sample and haven't heard anything but they said they'd only call if they found something. people with IBS have way too much stomach "issues" to deal with. We shouldn't get any other digestive probelms.

trying again : Judithg - or anyone with experience with parasites, yeast and bacteria diagnosis new
      #45954 - 02/20/04 10:45 PM
barb n

Just trying to bump this post up again to see if i can get any response on this. i noticed somebody else posted with a parasite question today. please see my previous post a couple of days ago. thanks !

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2012 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5462

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review