All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Watch your GI!!!
      #20518 - 09/12/03 12:01 PM
skywalker

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: CT USA

Just as a reminder, watch the information you get from your GI and other docs. My GI came highly recommended from both my airman doc and general prac. My first visit he diagnosed ibs and prescribed, actually gave me sample packets of sugar free citrucel. Hello!!, page 163 of "Ibs the first year". Yep, several hours later the worst cramps i ever had, D x many, nausea and all this for an hour straight. the pain was so bad I almost passed out. (he must hate dems beaglelover cause this one almost did me in.)
I'm a newbie ibser with not much to add but be careful. Get second or even third opinions. Right now my score is Heather 1 / Doc 0. Think maybe I'll give him a copy of Heather's book for Christmas.

--------------------
Luke
<><

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Watch your GI!!! new
      #20527 - 09/12/03 12:20 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Sounds like the GI doctor I went to, who also was highly recommended as one of the best in the area. He told me to just take milk of magnesium every day---for the rest of my life! That was his answer to my IBS-C problem! And these people go to medical school for this?

This is appalling! new
      #20532 - 09/12/03 12:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I mean, it's one thing for Luke's doc to not know that artificial sweeteners can cause problems (okay, he really should have known this - it's pretty basic). At least he was recommending a soluble fiber supplement, which is more than I've heard from other folks about their GI docs. But to recommend a laxative every day for the rest of your life is horrifying. What was he planning on doing when your colon stopped working altogether because it became completely dependent on the laxative?

Actually, maybe your doc is the one I heard about the other day, who recommended to an IBS-C woman that she just have her colon surgically REMOVED. I'm still reeling over that one...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This is appalling! new
      #20544 - 09/12/03 01:14 PM
skywalker

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: CT USA

For the record aspartame is the same as nutrasweet. iguess all the artificials are the same.

--------------------
Luke
<><

Re: Watch your GI!!! new
      #20574 - 09/12/03 06:20 PM
lyrae31

Reged: 08/29/03

I totally agree with you beaglelover. I've learned more this week from reading Heathers books and coming to this board.

Earlier this week, I called my GI to ask if I could get something else for the pain since the hydrocodone made me sick to my stomach and more C. THe answer I was "Call your primary Dr.

I'm still so made, I doubt I'll see another Doctor until I'm almost on the other side of death.

But, then I'm not a big hospital, doctor, take this pill lover anyway.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1694 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review