All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Painful pressure underneath right rib cage
      #203945 - 08/09/05 12:40 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

I'm kind of worried. For about two months I have had this on and off pain in my right side, right underneath my rib cage and around to my back. The past week though, it has been constant. Within the last hour, it has gotten a lot worse. I am afraid it could be the beginning of a gall stone. Has anyone experienced this before? At first I thought it was gas, but when i push on it there aren't any bubbles or anything ... plus, its lasted now for a week. I'm wondering if I should go get it looked at today?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I get that... new
      #203958 - 08/09/05 01:12 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Are you C or D right now? Because I get a pain under my rib sometimes when I'm swinging towards the C end, and I believe it has something to do with the constipation. I have no clue what causes it, but just know you're not alone, and it's never led to anything more serious for me.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: I get that... new
      #203962 - 08/09/05 01:23 PM
crew

I am just the opposite. I never have D, EVER ... but for the past 3 days I have had it after almost every meal. And I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't for the fact that this pain is lasting all day, without any help from tylenol. I googled my symptoms, and its bringing up gall stones!

We just went to the doctor for this new
      #203986 - 08/09/05 02:20 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

My BF had the same kind of pain on his right side, about 8 inches from under his armpit. Check out this webpage and see if it's the same kind of thing.

His was localized (he could press on it) and it lasted for a week before I convinced him to see the doc. He was positive it was gas pains. He's had no trauma to the area whatsoever, so we were stumped until the doctor told us it was Costochondritis.

The doc told him he prob got it from a virus, gave him some pain meds and it went away. It's just come back a week later (normal to have another resurgence, doc said), so he's taking more pain meds and trying not to breathe in too sharply.

If you're worried, you should def see a doctor. Reoccuring pain, esp localized pain, is nothing to play around with. Good luck!

~nelly~

I get that too! new
      #204004 - 08/09/05 02:54 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have what sounds like a similar pain, on a virtually constant basis. Mine feels like the area is being squeezing very tightly, as if in a vice. My understanding is that this is a muscle cramp in the ascending/transverse colon. Since IBS is essentially irregular muscular contractions of the bowel, to me these are simply IBS cramps - a prolonged, strong contraction in one area of the bowel. If anyone has any more knowledge about this I'd be curious to know!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Yikes! Mine is a little different new
      #204007 - 08/09/05 03:06 PM
crew

Wow I'm glad y'all got that figured out. Mine is actually right at the bottom of rib cage and it stretches a couple of inches to my waist, and then around a couple of inches to my back. It just stays in that area, and its no fun! And I think the Tylenol actually made it worse! Maybe if i took some Gas-X that might help?

Heather do you think this is IBS related? -nt- new
      #204008 - 08/09/05 03:10 PM
crew

It can be - sometimes it's from trapped gas, and sometimes new
      #204036 - 08/09/05 04:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

pain from the lower abdomen radiates up the trunk (or down the legs).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Yes, yes, yes! new
      #204037 - 08/09/05 05:03 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I posted about it last year I think. I still get it from time to time. Have a look here and tell me if this sounds like what you have at all? I totally sympathise. Sometimes I can ward it off with Mylanta and Buscopan but other times I just have to wait it out. My doctor checked me for gallstones and an ulcer but both tests came back clear so he's a bit stumped on what it could be. It doesn't seem to matter for me whether or not I'm C or D. No pattern what so ever. HTH.

--------------------
Amy

Re: It can be - sometimes it's from trapped gas, and sometimes new
      #204056 - 08/09/05 06:35 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I get that radiation up the trunk/down the legs. It's bizarre: I'm currently being treated for H.Pylori and on both anti-biotics and a PPI and the pain is PROMINENT since beginning these meds. (Both beneath the rib cage/trunk/leg radiation) I just do some yoga poses, stretching and breathing and that eases it--or take Gas-X or Peptobismal.
The pain becomes less pronounced or stabbing/nipping/biting then.

Kate.

Re: I've been taking... new
      #204062 - 08/09/05 06:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

For the pain/spasms, I've been taking Peptobismal and/or Gas-X as well as doing some yoga poses/breathing. I've also been diagnose with H.Pylori/ulcer and on both anti-biotics and a PPI and I NOTICE AN INCREASE since starting these meds. (An increase in the beneath the rib cage spasms/jabbing/stabbing/pressure and the leg/trunk cramps/spasms.) These drugs I'm on tend to cause D, so I'm probably making myself a little C with all this Peptobismal and Immodium to slow down my accelerated transit time.

Kate.

Re: Yikes! Mine is a little different new
      #204063 - 08/09/05 06:41 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

I get that sometimes, and I know it HURTS!! Pain & pressure right under the right rib cage, and stretching all the way around to the back. I believe it probably is trapped gas. I have been taking Gas-Ex almost every day now, and it seems to help some.

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3913 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review