All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Supermarket Peppermint Tea
      #20216 - 09/10/03 01:20 PM
mickz

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Has anyone ever tried the peppermint tea that you can buy at the supermarket. It comes in regular tea bags. I'm just wondering if it works as weel as the fresh peppermint

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Supermarket Peppermint Tea new
      #20220 - 09/10/03 01:51 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I buy the Celestial Seasonings peppermint tea in bags and it works great! i have never bought the fresh stuff! Can't find it anywhere.

#20221 - 09/10/03 01:52 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I use the Celestial Seasonings peppermint tea too! I'd love to do the fresh stuff, but I'm just too lazy.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#20229 - 09/10/03 03:10 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I use Celestial Seasonings at work because it is easier. The only disadvantage to that brand is, they are not individually wrapped, so yo can throw them in your purse. But you can always put some in a ziplock bag too. But at home I use fresh....... the fresh is stronger, more flavor. I make a big batch and keep it in the refrigerator and drink cold....yum!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

beaglelover new
      #20232 - 09/10/03 03:18 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

beaglelover you mentioned you could not find fresh anywhere, just in case you don't know..... you can now buy it from Heather!! Just click on the link to the left "Tummy Teas"...... I just got the fennel..... yummy!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: beaglelover new
      #20245 - 09/10/03 07:01 PM
BL

Thanks! I saw that, but those don't come in a tea bag, do they? You have to understand that I'm lazy and I can't stand messing with the loose tea. Now you guys know just how lazy I am. . .

Loose tea vs. tea bags vs. fresh herbs new
      #20254 - 09/10/03 08:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

For peppermint tea, loose tea, tea bags, and fresh peppermint leaf will all work well. Making tea from fresh peppermint leaves is the most time-consuming, but if you have a garden it's a super easy herb to grow, and you can just grab a handful of leaves and crush with a spoon in a cup of hot water. Pretty fast, very tasty!

For dried peppermint, which is by far the most common way to make tea, the tea bags have the advantage of being portable. So, they're easy to keep in your purse or an office drawer.

But, the quality of tea in tea bags is almost always lower than in loose tea. This is because the herb used in tea bags is more finely cut, so it's in tinier pieces. When you cut the herb, you lose more of the volatile oils (which is what makes peppermint effective). So the more finely cut the herb, and the smaller the pieces, the less strong the effects will be. If you're brewing at home, using the loose tea will give you better results. You can also brew tea much more strongly with loose tea, and much more cheaply, compared to tea bags.

I like tea bags for travel so I can't spill loose peppermint all over my suitcase. But for work, I got in the habit of keeping a tin of loose tea and one of those hand-squeezeable metal tea strainers in my desk, which worked really well. I was brewing so many cups each day that it was too expensive to keep using the tea bags.

So there you are - more info about peppermint tea than you ever wanted to know!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: what kind of tea? new
      #20286 - 09/11/03 08:53 AM
skywalker

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: CT USA

Okay,

I've read all of the books and understand about peppermint chamomille, fennel etc. What about the other herbal teas?
I can't seem to stomach many teas and the smell many times makes me nauseus. I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant!
I was feeling some stomach cramps two nights ago and tried my wife's apple cinnamon herbal...this i can stomach as also her lemon zinger. After the apple cinnamon i did feel amazingly relaxed and the cramps were gone for the evening. did it work, just coincidence, or all in my head? unfortunately i must use tea bags, as pilots are limited on luggage carried and my snack bag is already bursting at the seems.

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

#20306 - 09/11/03 11:28 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - virtually any herbal tea will be just fine, and probably helpful. The vast majority of herbs and spices are digestive aids, even if they're not labeled that way. Cinnamon is, for example, which is probably why the apple cinnamon tea helped you. Check the ingredients - the odds are there are some other helpful spices in there too.

Really, all you have to watch for is that the tea is caffeine-free, and that you're not picking up some funky "diet tea" which will have laxative ingredients or diuretics. But virtually anything from Celestial Seasonings, or Republic of Tea, or any other mainstream brand that's herbal will help you. So just start choosing flavors that sound good to you.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Be careful, Mr. Pilot..... new
      #20325 - 09/11/03 12:03 PM
BL

the chamomille tea can make you very D-R-O-W-S-Y. Your passengers don't need you falling asleep at the wheel, I mean cockpit. (Now you've given me something else to worry about.)

Re: Be careful, beaglelover new
      #20394 - 09/11/03 03:34 PM
skywalker

You worry way too much.
Sounds like nervous flyer syndrom.
The antispasmodics are the same way. They are labeled that way so I'll only take those when I have the time to burn off the drowsi effects.

Don't worry I fly for a private airline. You only have to worry about some of your favorite actors politicians.

--------------------
Luke
<><

#20396 - 09/11/03 03:44 PM
skywalker

Thanks Heather,

That was a big question we had. The apple/cin really seemed to do the trick. I am on day three of the diet and am feeling great. Although I am mild compared to most with only averaging 1 attack per month so it will take a couple of months to see how it's working. Did you know, this from my wife, that Kelsey grammar's wife has a serious ibs prob. So bad her doc said not to have kids. Apparently she is becoming somewhat of a spokesperson. If it's true that's great for the cause. You two need to hook up.

--------------------
Luke
<><

Edited by skywalker (09/11/03 03:46 PM)

#20404 - 09/11/03 04:59 PM
BL

You didn't tell me you fly policitians around. Never mind my advice then; we could do without some of them. Drink the chammoille when you are flying Democrats, ok?

#20423 - 09/11/03 08:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi, yeah, Camille Grammar made a public tv announcement several years ago in association with GlaxoWellcome, when the drug Lotronex debuted. Then Lotronex was pulled off the market after it killed 11 women, and the PR campaign died, and Camille decided she didn't want to be in the public spotlight after all.

Quite a few efforts have been made to involve her in IBS support forums, people have actually sent her books and Mike Mahoney's hypno tapes, but nothing has ever been heard back so it's a bit of a black hole. I honestly don't know what she's tried and what she hasn't for her own symptoms, but I understand why she found the PR stuff too stressful and decided to return to a private life when it came to her own IBS.

There hasn't really been any successful, widespread PR campaign about IBS, or any celebrity spokespeople who have really made a dent in public consciousness. Novartis has been trying, with their Lynda Carter campaign for the drug Zelnorm, but they don't seem to have gotten that much publicity for all the tens of millions of dollars they've spent.

Unfortunately, IBS has yet to really become a mainstream health care topic on tv and in major print media. I think the day is coming, hopefully soon, but it's still a taboo subject in too many ways.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

About Lynda Carter new
      #20448 - 09/12/03 05:48 AM
BL

I saw her on Larry King Live on night talking about IBS. She was really a great spokesperson! I remember her saying that it's the subject no one wants to bring up at dinnertime. Like when you're at a dinner party and someone asks you what you have and you say, "Irritable Bowel Syndrome." She said it sounds so gross and she wishes they would rename it something else. Maybe that would cut down on the taboo. I wish more public figures would talk about it on tv so it wouldn't be such a big deal!

Re: About Lynda Carter new
      #20453 - 09/12/03 07:13 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

You know who else has IBS - is Marie (the Grandma) on Everybody Loves Raymond. I heard her speak about it once.

Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond new
      #20454 - 09/12/03 07:27 AM
BL

Boy, she could do some funny Public Service Announcements! Let's sign her up!

#20464 - 09/12/03 08:09 AM
skywalker

thanks alot

mostly ceos and some hollywood types and pga golfers like nicholas. only one politician that i know of. i'm not crazy about him but i think i'll stay off the chamomille anyway

--------------------
Luke
<><

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2235

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review