All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Amy (doubletrouble)
      #201019 - 07/29/05 10:12 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I don't keep up too well these days, so sorry if you posted this elsewhere ... I was wondering if you were still GF, and if so, how you were doing?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Amy (doubletrouble) new
      #201021 - 07/29/05 11:41 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! I've been a bit of a lurker on the boards lately. I'm sort of still eating GF but after almost 7 weeks I don't think I've seen enough of an improvement to stick to it totally. I think I may just need to watch the amount of wheat I eat or it gets too much for my system and I get bad D. At the moment I'm still eating rice pasta, I eat rice porridge cause normal porridge makes me sick (it's always done that though) but I'm eating Spelt bread at lunchtime which is apparantly a more easily digestable form of flour than wheat. How are you going?

--------------------
Amy

#201117 - 07/30/05 07:36 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Hi Amy! Are you still feeling better then? I hope so. Is 7 weeks long enough to know if GF improves anything? I thought I heard you should give it 3-4 months? or maybe I am hallucinating.

I went to see a new GI and had kind of planned on going GF afterwards depending on the outcome, but he told me not to change anything yet. He is making me go through ANOTHER colonoscopy (I had one last August! I nearly cried when he said that!). Since they're not doing the endoscopy again, I think it would be okay if I went GF, but what do I know, I'm not an overpaid GI ...

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#205462 - 08/14/05 06:38 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Are you eating the dark spelt or the white spelt? What does the ingredient list?

I have tried the darker spelt, but I'm wondering if the white spelt would be more similar to the white bread that is recommended on this site. Maybe it isn't IBS safe to be eating the darker wholegrain spelt on an empty tummy? Any thoughts?

It's pretty difficult to find the white spelt, probably because everyone is trying to get more whole grains (the non-IBS health food eaters)!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Beth.... new
      #205467 - 08/14/05 06:53 PM
doubletrouble

Hi! At the moment I'm eating "Healtheries" spelt bread (which doesn't mention wholegrain so I'm assuming it's white). It's organic but also has sourdough cultures (I can't find one that doesn't). However my last loaf was wholegrain spelt as was the one before and I haven't noticed a difference between the 2 and my tummy (I actually had to go check the freezer to tell you whether they were wholegrain or not ). Maybe the wholegrain would be a little harsh on an empty belly but I eat it for lunch after a safe brekkie and morning tea so maybe that's why no effect on me. I think my main problem is anxiety and stress rather than diet to be honest though. Sorry I'm not much help on this one I guess. My opinion would be the wholegrain one would probably be better for C but maybe you need to buffer it first with SF?

--------------------
Amy

Heather? Can you maybe help Beth and I with this one please? new
      #205469 - 08/14/05 06:54 PM
doubletrouble

It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

--------------------
Amy

Jen, sorry I totally missed this somehow..... new
      #205470 - 08/14/05 06:58 PM
doubletrouble

How very rude of me I'm eating gluten again now and haven't found a difference for me. I did eat a bowl of wheat pasta the other night which near killed me pain wise for 36 hours so I think maybe I can only tolerate wheat in very small doses. Anything else causes me too much pain. I haven't had any D from it but I'm on AD's which are clogging me up somewhat. I'd continue as your GI says and keep eating wheat until after the procedure. Sorry to hear you have to have ANOTHER colonoscopy. In my opinion one a lifetime is more than enough for a person to withstand! My GP told me that if I saw no improvement what so ever in 6 weeks that it probably wasn't gluten that's the problem. If I saw at least some improvement I should continue on for about 3 months total to be sure. HTH.

--------------------
Amy

I'm sorry, what exactly is the question? -nt- new
      #205918 - 08/16/05 12:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

In regards to spelt bread new
      #205922 - 08/16/05 12:10 PM
Augie

Is the white spelt safer and more similar to the white bread that is recommended on this site in comparison to the darker spelt bread?

Maybe it isn't IBS safe to be eating the darker wholegrain spelt on an empty tummy?

Or is any type of spelt okay to eat?

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Ack - I really don't know... new
      #205977 - 08/16/05 03:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

if you could find the fiber content (insoluble) for the white vs. dark that would be most helpful. Otherwise, I really don't know what the difference is. I haven't ever cooked with spelt.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

white vs not white.... new
      #206015 - 08/16/05 05:37 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Hi Beth and Amy,

I used to eat spelt bread with whole flax seed cooked in it every morning before I became stable. I prefer the dark spelt flavor and texture. I tried making the bread with the white spelt and it just wasn't "right".

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Where did you find white spelt flour? new
      #206024 - 08/16/05 06:23 PM
Augie

I can only find the dark kind and I would like to eat the first half of my sandwich with white and the second half dark just to be safe.

Thanks Rachel

--------------------
~ Beth

Hi Beth.... new
      #206157 - 08/17/05 09:53 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I found the white spelt at Whole Food is the bulk section. I would recommend bringing your own ziploc bags as their bags are flimsy and transferring the flour from their bag to whatever you store your flour in is messy.

I guess you can tell I am somewhat anal about silly things! No pun itended on the "anal"!

The white flour is about twice as much as the regular and I really don't care for it. The texture of my bread was gummy.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2488

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review