Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Airline Pilot: needs help
      #19878 - 09/08/03 05:34 AM
skywalker

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: CT USA

Hello to all,

As of 9/8/03 I am the newest member to join the club. Not my most desired club to join but a big thanks to Heather for starting it and putting in all of the hard work to help us ibsers.

I am an airline pilot soon to be an out of work airline pilot if i can't get my ibs under control and fast. I am currently on medical leave after a severe bout on thursday. I had so much pain after an hour in the stall (i almost passed out) that i had my buddy call 911.
I am one of the lucky ones that has IBS with the big "D". Very sporadic episodes at sometimes 1-2 times a week to once every other month with an average of once a month. Each episode lasting 1-2 hours with three trips to the bathroom (Not nearly as bad as some of you i'm learning, but when you're stuck at 41,000 feet in a small business jet the size of a minivan your career's on the line and the big "D" is coming well you all have been there.

My problem is and any help would be appreciated is that I am a pilot. I fly for 7 days straight, moving all over the country and eating daily meals in different time zones. Casual meals are rare and it's usually one meal at the end of the day. Not a good idea i'm finding out. Finding good food is hard. I just finished heather's "the first year" and am now starting "eating for ibs". grocery shopping this afternoon. I am currently on medical leave, soon to be unpaid medical leave if i can't get this under control.
I am doing everything here at lightspeed before i am looking for a new career. please someone tell me that's not the case.

Any help tips with the food on the go problem? As a pilot i know how hard it is to get good food on the road let alone food for an ibser.
I'm also looking for snack items to be carried for a week. I already have some of heather's ideas from her books like pretzels.
Any suggestions on the herbal tea or substitutes? I live on lipton sweetened with lemon iced tea, decaf. I can't seem to stomach the taste of peppermint or chamomille, altoids i can stomach.
Already started the metamucil but think fibercon tablets will be easier on the road.
Any ideas on an easy to find milk substitute for cereal. Is 2% really that bad with some morning corn flakes? I guess i'm still in a bit of denial. I have become used to my morning cereal while on the road.

Thanks to all for being there for an ibser.
I'm looking forward to adding a travel section as hopefully i will soon be an expert on the subject.

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Airline Pilot: needs help new
      #19891 - 09/08/03 07:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome! Sorry to hear you are having such an awful time, we got to get you straighten out quick!!! I would check out the "how to break the cycle" (sorry I don't know how to do a direct link)Basically, you go to rice, bread, water and teas for a couple of days. Than you start to add things back in. Graham crakers would be good to take "on the road" the low fat cinnamon ones are my favorite! You can get soychips that are really good at the heath food store, the BBQ are my favorite here! Thai Kithcen makes rice noodle bowls that I take to work for lunch all the time, if you have access to water and a mocrowave you are good to go! They come in all different flavors and are low fat. Bagels usually keep at least a few days, try using a little jelly instead of cream cheese. Pocket pita bread will keep a while. They have those little tuna and chicken pouches that you could take with you to stuff into the pita. They also make oatmeal express cups, just add water and nuke. Thats about all I can come up with, but I'll keep thinking. I'm sure other people will have some more ideas! Keep us posted on how your doing.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#19894 - 09/08/03 07:48 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

First - welcome to the board, Skywalker. It's nice to have another star wars persona here. I was getting lonely.
Next - you CAN get control of your IBS. Read all the dietary information on this website. For ideas on snack foods to take with you that won't spoil: bananas will keep a few days, baked lay's, soy pudding packs,
Rice Krispy squares.
Applesauce packages
Pretzels
Dry cereal - corn or rice based NOT wheat
Instant oatmeal packages plain
Tons of herbal tea - try ginger or fennel. Ginger is great for digestion and fennel is great for bloating. I would give the peppermint another try - it can ease the pain of an attack, and for me it can even stop an attack from coming. Try Heather's peppermint caps - that's another way around it.
You can get boiling water right?> So take a thermos and always carry herbal tea with you.
White bread, baked potatoes are always safe. Plain white rice is also safe.
Seriously, stick to soluble fiber foods for a while and see if it helps - here's a list: web page These foods will stabilize you quickly and keep you stable while working. With your job at stake - eat only safe foods when working. No snack dogs or burgers.
Type back with specific questions, and hit the search button for previous topics.
May the force be with you my friend.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#19895 - 09/08/03 08:02 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Luke: Welcome! This is your best bet in finding help, you've already received some great responses. My input is for you to STOP eating anything dairy, that includes 2%. All dairy is a trigger to most IBSers. Have you been diagnosed with IBS or could you have lactose intolerance or celiac disease (gluten allergy)? Also, stop drinking that tea and go for some herbal teas. I can drink decaf green tea, but you'll have to experiment with what works for you. Also, what did you eat that could have triggered your last attack?
Did you have an extra fatty meal, or salad? Your journey has just begun, trial and error are our middle names!

#19904 - 09/08/03 09:47 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi and Welcome to the boards!

I understand how you feel with the sporadic D. I never had it as badly as some people around here. I was actually pretty fortunate, but the attacks I did get put a kink in my lifestyle and job.

I would try cutting out all dairy and really sticking with the diet. Yes, you will miss your milk in the morning, we all miss stuff though. But we have also learnt we have to do whatever we have to do to feel better and keep our lives on track.

I hope you will be able to make the necessary changes to your diet to be in control. And it is difficult - no doubt about it - but you will begin to feel alot better - thanks to the changes.

Good luck and welcome once again,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#19923 - 09/08/03 01:03 PM
skywalker

you don't want to know what did it. After reading heather's books i know why the attack was so bad.
Stress the night before leading to lack of sleep about 5 hours i need 8.

2bowls of corn flakes at 8am w/2%
small bag of almond m&m's at noon with a bottled water
around three i downed about 6 inches of a garlic butter bread at a barbeque restaurant then a salad no cheese or dressing followed be a large plate of barbq ham. boy was it good for about 45 minutes.
i didn't make it to the bathroom about 30 feet from it when i lost it. extreme abdominal pain about 6 bouts of D over an hour plus, drenched in sweat with tingling of the limbs ie below the elbows and knees this due to the pain and heavy breathing for so long. almost passed out before calling 911. it's funny i can usually eat anything meat dairy etc i know about all of the red flags on this one but it's not the norm i usually only get hit with a one hour bout of D once a month or so.

thanks for the response

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Re: Airline Pilot: needs help ( Welcome fellow airline employee!) new
      #19924 - 09/08/03 01:12 PM
airplane girl

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Indiana

Greetings my fellow airline employee! Although my position keeps me on the ground I too have been at 30,000 ft and dying to get into one of those closetlike bathrooms. My advice will not be to different from those that answered before me, these boards will definetly help you out. I am sure that flying a commuter size aircraft will take you into many airports without any food service, but my stomach is now a big fan of white rice and pasta as well as warm soups and herbal teas. Most of my attacks come when I have not eaten in a while and being gone for days at a time doesn't make it easy to pack snacks. I would almost recommend crackers or a plain bagel (depending on your hotel they may have these at a continental breakfast) In a bind I do take the Immodium or Pepto or Alka Seltzer because there are so many times there is not an alternative... I wish you the best I know it was to much work to get where you are in your career for this to stop you!

Re: Airline Pilot: needs help ( Welcome fellow airline employee!) new
      #19925 - 09/08/03 01:16 PM
airplane girl

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Indiana

Oh yeah and my IBS kicked in after 9/11 when all I did was stress about losing my job, with my first airline, then when I was laid of in January of this year it only got worse. Now that I was picked up by another airline I am slowly starting the recovery process...

#19930 - 09/08/03 01:52 PM
Karin

No comment on the diet part, I think you know you were a very bad boy. My "last" meal was filet mignon, butter filled mashed potatoes, bread/butter, salad, dessert and an alcholic drink. Breakfast included crepes, fried egg, grapefruit juice. It's funny, but you really do get used to a safer way of eating. Taste is acquired, just keep eating it and you'll start appreciating more and more what you CAN eat rather than what you CAN'T eat. Fast food is the hardest, but they seem to be coming around. Look for the grilled chicken sandwiches w/o condiments. Quizno's and Subway both have low fat good sandwiches, as prepared. Lots of mexican restaurants now have grilled chicken soft tacos.
Traveling is an extra challenge, it's very hard to eat safe while out! Low fat wheat thins, graham crackers, bagels, vanilla wafers, RICE MILK (yes you will get used to the taste, try Rice Dream, original flavor, first), bake some chicken strips and carry them cold (like fried chicken), read Heather's tips and try not to cheat at all for a while so your system can calm down.

Re: Airline Pilot: needs help thnx airplane girl new
      #19933 - 09/08/03 02:30 PM
skywalker

Howdy,

I was hoping to find some pilots of fas with similar problems and experience. congrats on getting the job it's really tough out there right now most of my friends are onthe street. I just left mesa airlines a usair express commuter based out of phx. after 8.5 years i had enough of the poor quality of life. i am now with a fractional airline, a time share, where you fly the owners around. it's pretty cool. we fly a lot of pga golfers, some actors like sarah jessica and hubby, bill murray, and neil armstrong, most however are ceos or just plain rich. i haven't had the pleasure yet but i'll get someone famous soon enough. as for the company i love them that are the best. great people that treat you right if it doesn't change i'll never leave. the jets are cool to. really small and fast.

anyway wishing you all the best out there.

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Re: Airline Pilot: in denial new
      #19939 - 09/08/03 02:50 PM
skywalker

okay ladies i know it won't be easy but try to be polite in the responses,

here goes,

is this denial or just a valid question?

my work schedule is 7 on and 7 off. yes sounds great but the seven on i'm all over the country and not home at night with the family. it is great but not quite as good as it sounds. anyway here goes and again, please be kind, remember i'm doing heather's year in a week. i've already read both books purchased some new food started with the soluble and had some words with my gi after he told me it was not necessary to do any tests, this after the er doc said to get a cat scan in two days.

ok now for the fireworks. i only have an episode once per month on average and if not for work i'd just deal with it than to give up my favorite foods. Ice cream? Maybe i missed it but heather never mentioned a conditioning of the stomach. What about the week i'm off can i just live it up take my chances knowing i'm home and then go back on the ibs diet 2 days before work? after all my bouts are infrequent and only last 1-2 hours, ie minor cramps and 2-3 episodes of the D, then i'm fine.
and what is a normal time interval between eating the trigger and the episode? i guess what i want to know is can i come home from my trip and have popcorn with my wife and a big bowl of icecream knowing it will hit me in 24hrs if it's gonna. after all i can eat every bad item on the list everyday and be fine for weeks. this makes me sound like a junk food junkie and i'm not. my real problem is the veggies and nuts that i love to eat raw.

alright let me have it!

--------------------
Luke
<><

#19940 - 09/08/03 02:57 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hi!
Welcome to the board. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. It's got to be hard trying to follow "safe" food guidelines when you are on the go and don't have access to your own refrigerator, pantry, and most importantly, your own bathroom. My husband and I went to a pro football game yesterday and both of us spent last night tossing and turning in bed----tummies rumbling and then running back and forth to the bathroom with diarrhea! I'm just glad it happened after the game and not at the end, when the line was snaked out the door of the ladies restroom. I don't think I'll be sampling that stadium food again!
I hate to make light of your situation because I know it's not funny; however, I've never thought about what a pilot would do if he had to go to the bathroom right away! It reminds me of that tv commercial for Immodium that shows people in certain situations and says "Where will you be when your diarrhea returns?" I think you need to contact the company and maybe you could star in one of their commercials. I can just see this picture in my mind---a pilot all red in the face, sweating, and frantic, searching for an alternate place to land the plane because his diarrhea has returned. Please don't take this the wrong way! It's just something most of us have never thought about. It's kind of like teachers----we think they don't ever have to go to the bathroom!
I don't have many suggestions for you except to stay away from the junk food (candy and greasy fast foods). You are just going to have to pack some safe things to take with you----fat-free saltine crackers, graham crackers, pretzels, rice cakes, bananas, applesauce in those little individual containers). And don't forget to take the fiber supplement 2-3 times a day. Then when you do sit down and eat a meal, your stomach will not be empty.
Good luck and let us know if these suggestions help.

#19944 - 09/08/03 03:41 PM
Karin

Denial would be a good term to use in your case. Coming from past experience, my advice would be to not play with this as it can and will get worse if you don't listen to it. It took some horrible things to happen before I stopped eating fat-full, and since I didn't know about the right way to eat, I didn't know what to do. Since you have these episodes infrequently, you may be able to be a little more free with your diet, but I will stress to try and learn the triggers and eat lower fat. Your body will thank you for it anyway, my blood pressure went down and my husband's cholesterol went down also (don't check mine as it's always low). My feeling is that had I taken care of myself earlier, I wouldn't have to be so strict now.

#19945 - 09/08/03 03:53 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

First, welcome to the board!

Second, either you are in denial or you are a glutten for punishment. (This coming from the girl that went out to celebrate her official IBS diagnosis and the end of a million tests to determine this by going out and indulging in ribs & chicken with a side salad, washing it down with a few margarittas. Oh yeah - three months AFTER I discovered Heather's books. )

Anyways....how do you know you have IBS if you've had no tests? Anything at all? Bloodwork? Anything? A few words seems a little weak for a proper diagnosis.

As for triggers - they can come instantly or a day or two later. For example, if I eat anything dairy or fried, I'm having an attack before I've finished clearing the dishes. If I eat raw veggies, I'm having an attack the next day. It all depends on how your attacks come if you want to schedule them.

You could also make some adjustments on some of your things. For example, I can tolerate hull-less popcorn if I'm stable and have had a good safe meal earlier. You could also have baked potato chips (Lays) or baked Tostitos. You could also have soy or rice ice cream instead of regular. I haven't tried them yet, but I've read a lot of posts on Toffuti Cuties.

Well, was that a polite response? I hope so, because I can't stand rudeness.

Re: Airline Pilot: in denial re:diagnosis new
      #19953 - 09/08/03 04:56 PM
skywalker

An IBS diagnosis?

My aeromedical examiner said ibswithout any tests then sent me to a general prac who said ibs try fiber supp. after no improvment probably because i didn't take it regularly and didn't know about trigger foods then sent me to a gi who did all the blood work, and other bio samples found no disease, blood where it's not supposed to be said it's ibs, no need for further tests do to age, health, history etc after the worst attack ever almost passing out and dialing 911 after an hour of extreme pain i took matters into my own hands and searched and found heather's books. i informed my gi that we would be doing some more tests just to be sure. we are following it up with more tests tomorrow followed by an abdom cat in two weeks. So yes i have had 3 diagnosis' but not all of the tests. my gi claims that there is no way do to my symptoms ie stomach pains, blood (there aren't any)etc that it must be ibs.
sounds alot like chapter 2.

don't know if i answered your question or not.

--------------------
Luke
<><

Re: Airline Pilot:re beaglelover new
      #19955 - 09/08/03 05:11 PM
skywalker

i din't take it the wrong way.

i will tell you a funny story well funny now and only if it never happens again. i used to fly the little 19 seat props with no bathroom, yep no bathroom. how about an hour and 15 minute flight every morning departing at 6 am. yep.
well fortunately the first time i was able to hold it for a half an hour that had to have done some internal damage right there. well i had the sense enough to carry a portapotty from then on in my flight bag, yep you guessed it. it was black with a yellow drwstring named Hefty. not to mention a small roll of charmin. any months later when i got caught fortunately only 3 passengers on board that day 2 of which were asleep and the third deep in his USA Today. well i quietly tip toed to the back wnet through a secret door to the baggage compartment and well no one was any the wiser. I'm just hoping those days are soon to be behind me.
If Imodium AD picks me up i'll split the royalties with you along with a box of graham crackers and peppermint tea. well maybe not the tea i can't seem to stomach the herbals. i'v only tried peppermint, chamomille, and earl grey. Yuck! I think that's one thing i just won't be able to do think i'll have to stick with the altoids and fibercon capsules.

any idea on hot chocolate. like nestle or swiss miss. it's cocoa. not sure about the dried dairy in it.

thnaks for the laugh

--------------------
Luke
<><

#19956 - 09/08/03 05:12 PM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Hi Skywalker,
When I first got IBS, I had extreme D. I can totally relate to the 911 call. There were a few times where I felt ready to crawl on the bathroom floor and die. It's a hard condition to deal with, especially when you have to work a full-time job. I feel for you.

The best way for me to deal was to snack throughout the day so that when meals come around, I wasn't not starving and more likely to eat things I knew were going to cause me problems. I was never an herbal tea drinker (I used to live on Pepsi!), but I must admit that I got used to the taste and now, I actually look forward to a hot cup of tea. The benefits are wonderful and well worth it.

Stick with it and hang in there.
Kristine

#19958 - 09/08/03 06:16 PM
BL

Bless your heart! A black Hefty bag and a roll of toilet paper? I don't blame you for bringing that along. Just the thought that there was no bathroom on board would give me a panic attack. (Of course, I'm terrified of heights and fast things, so I wouldn't be in the pilot's seat in the first place.)
I'm glad you have a sense of humor about this. I know it's not funny, but just the thought of you with that black trashbag and that roll of toilet paper . . . I will never fly again without wondering if the pilot has tiptoed to the back of the plane for a trip to the potty. Yikes! Do those planes just fly on auto-pilot all by themselves? What if an emergency occurs? Great, as if takeoffs and landings wasn't enough for me to worry about when flying. Now I have to worry about the pilot and his bodily functions!
Hope you get this resolved soon----not just for you, but for the sake of your passengers too!

Re: Airline Pilot: in denial re:diagnosis new
      #19964 - 09/08/03 06:33 PM
*Melissa*

That answered it! I was afraid some doc just said yep that's it and sent you on your merry way.

Welcome! I was hoping Hans Solo would answer you new
      #19979 - 09/08/03 07:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

just so we'd have an official meeting between you two!

Everyone has given you fabulous advice. The hard part is following it, which I know is not fun or easy, especially when you're trying to make so many tremendous changes all at once.

Do make sure your doc did the bloodwork for celiac. That's often overlooked.

If you loathe the herbal teas you've tried so far, give fennel or anise a chance. Also, any caffeine free herbal tea on the market (and between Celestial Seasonings, Republic of Tea, etc. there are about a jillion) will be better than the black tea you're drinking. Try Bengal Spice, or one of the fruit flavored ones. Something is bound to taste good to you.

The peppermint caps suggestion is great too - you won't taste those, you can easily travel with them, and they work really well.

About eating safely on the road and then splurging at home...well, you probably know we're all going to say this, but it's really not a great idea. The big problem is that by setting off attacks once you're home, you're also setting yourself up for a cycle that you may find harder and harder to get under control each time you go through it.

Your best bet is to get yourself stable with the breaking the cycle info folks are recommending. Get yourself on a good dose of the soluble fiber too - most people don't take nearly enough. Check the links on the front page of this forum for detailed info on both of these topics.

Do eliminate dairy altogether. Try different brands of rice and soy milk until you find one you like. You can even get little cartons to take with you.

Don't feel that you're going to be deprived of great food - you won't be. There are healthy, low fat, vegan versions of just about every junk food out there - from baked potato chips to soy or rice ice cream, to soy or turkey bacon, and more. You can also cook your own safe versions of all types of treats, so if you're craving something you know will make you sick, ask for an IBS version on the recipe board. It's much better to splurge on these foods, and keep yourself stable, then to go all-out on your week off with foods that can upset all your hard work to get stable.

Hope this helps, and that you're feeling better soon. Please ask any other questions you have.

PS - My grandfather was a pilot. He doesn't have IBS (in fact, he has a cast iron stomach that I most definitely did not inherit!) but I've always had a soft spot for pilots as a result. If you have a picture I'm happy to post it for you...maybe one in those cute pilot uniforms?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19996 - 09/09/03 04:38 AM
Robbie

Reged: 07/03/03

your on a airplane right? let the airline company know in advance that you must eat low fat vegan food. try to get them to make foods with alot of soluble fiber.
eating for ibs book should help.
order food in advance before you get on the plane, they can carry meals to you even though your the pilot right?

#19997 - 09/09/03 04:46 AM
skywalker

not to worry beaglelover,

in my positionthere are always two pilots just in case of a situation like this. and yes the autopilot is usually turned on pretty soon as most of us are pretty lazy and would rather let "george" fly. that's what we call it. this usually done less than five minutes after takeoff and as quick as 2 minutes. it's usually turned on at a similar time frame before landing. as for the attacks i usually can feel them coming and with the execption and severity of the last one i usually have up to twenty minutes before holding D is no longer an option. thanks for the kind ear and the laugh it makes me feel better just hearing from others in my boat. what are peppermint caps i keep hearing about? are they altoids? i have said i can't stand the hot teas and know this is an alternative. i just can't take the taste of the herbals. i do like regualr lipton decaf but i know that doesn't do any good.

thnks for listening,

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Ok, that makes me feel a lil' better.... new
      #19998 - 09/09/03 04:53 AM
BL

knowing there are 2 of you up front! Glad we are all joking about this.
As to the peppermints, I swallow several Altoids whole, as Heather has suggested, immediately after meals and it does settle my stomach down. Try it!
And if you're only taking a teaspoon or two of the fiber supplements, you're a wheenie! You have to take more than that for them to help you. Check the amounts of the supplement page Heather has provided. And be faithful about it. If you can't mix the powders in a drink, you could try the tablets, such as Citrucel. And drink lots of water with them or they won't work.
I forgot to mention Baked Lay's chips as one of my favorite in between snacks and pita bread and hummus. If you are near a Greek restaurant, get some of this but have them leave the oil off the top of the hummus dip.
Have a nice week! And no more almond M & M's, ok?

#20012 - 09/09/03 07:10 AM
schwab

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Dayton, OH

My sympathies go out to you. To have such an exciting career and have this hinder it would be frustrating- as it is for all of us so we can relate. IBS changes your life, but, once you have it under control, it is a manageable part of your life. There are alos indirect benefits- you end up being more aware of healthy, alternative foods. I wish I would have has Heather's book 5 years ago when it started for me after gallbladder surgery. I have learned so much form the book and there is no other resource like it for IBS. I feel very special to have such an effort devoted solely to IBS.

Here are my recommendation- I am sure they are being repeated. This condition does no have to hurt your carrer.
Heather's diet- start off very safe- white flour, rice pasta, etc.
Peppermint capsules taken routinely before each meal
Peppermint, fennel tea- several cups per day.
Citrucel two times per day.
Altoids chewed for relief
Take safe foods with you- make muffins, take pretzels, plain turkey sandwhich, etc.
Ask you doctor about antispasmodics, antidepressants for pain.
Then once you have stabilized, branch out to the other more exciting, more healthful foods.
I probably did not have anything different to say, but I just had to respond to your situation.

Best of luck, and most of all, try to keep the stress low- yoga, hypnotherapy tapes get these-proven to help! You will get this under control and be able to pursue your career.

Keep us posted on your progress.

#20026 - 09/09/03 08:56 AM
Lana_Marie

Hi and Welcome to the boards,

You are definately in denial. Don't worry I went through it too. I thought "What's the big deal, I have dealt with this pain for years...I can handle now if I decide to cheat" But if you follow Heather's diet and then decide to cheat you will realize how bad the pains you have been dealing with really are.

I used to always cheat but now just the thought of going through the terrible spells just isn't worth it to me. My weakness was BK. I had a VIP card for goodness sakes.

Jump out of denial Luke. Warning: You will go through a little bit of mourning because you will miss the foods you love so much, and you will find some of the foods can never be replaced. Like Rice Dream, will never replace ice cream.

But you will get used to the different tastes and eventually you will forget what you are missing, I promise.

Take care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#20032 - 09/09/03 09:21 AM
*Melissa*

You can get the enteric coated peppermint capsules at health food stores, but Heather sells them online now too. Check them out here.

Re: Airline Pilot: Thank you new
      #20065 - 09/09/03 12:12 PM
skywalker

I just wanted to say thank you to all for the many great responses. Being put on temporary medical leave is a scary thing especially for a pilot. I is so easy to lose your medical. And after almost 15 years of flying, then what. Start a whole new career? We are highly trained professionals like doctors but what else can we do besides our profession. Anyway I'll stop rambling on. I do very much appreciate all of the advice, and encouragement from all who have responded and especially to Heather for making this all possible.

Thank you

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

#20068 - 09/09/03 12:22 PM
skywalker

wish it were that easy.

i recently left a usair commuter flying 19 props with no bathroom yep that's right. up to two hours with out one. you can only imagine actually there are some intersint stories left to beaglelover regarding a large hefty.
anyway i now fly for a pivate airline on a private jet, flying the rich and famous types, literally as small as a minivan well maybe ford ten passenger van. bathroom under the rear passenger seat with a curtain. at least there is one.
meals are usually left up to us and many times we are way out in the boonies. sometimes getting a meal is a problem.
the best scenario is to pack a food bag with the snacks to keep me going avoid the triggers and eat smaller portions.

thanks for the thoughts

yes traveling 7 days in a row every other week is an ibs nightmare. it is not uncommon for me to fly 4-5 thousand miles per day. time zones headaches!

I do praise God that i don't have it as bad as others on this site.

luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Re: Welcome! Picture addition new
      #20088 - 09/09/03 03:19 PM
skywalker

Heather,

thanks for the welcome and the great site. It's great to have a place to go to find answers, share secrets and vent a bit. Part of the stress reducer right here is knowing you're not alone. The books are wonderful, nothing personal but I just hope it works. Being an IBS newbie that's dealt with it for 5 years and might have to find a new career it's a bit intimidating. As for the pilot pic in uniform I'd be glad to. I'm a bit stupid when it comes to computers so you'll have to spell it out for me. or send me an email to send it to. Yes I can fly a 10 million dollar airplane all over the country but I can't input a simple pic.

Thanks again,

Luke

--------------------
Luke
<><

Re: Welcome! Picture addition new
      #20089 - 09/09/03 03:25 PM
Lana_Marie

LOL - I had to laugh at this.

My husband can built an entire steel building from nothing, but could NOT figure out how to turn the computer on!!!!

Yep! I felt pretty smart that day LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#20113 - 09/09/03 05:28 PM
Karin

I've just come across something in my cupboard and thought of you! It's by Thai Kitchen and it's their Noodle Cart line of rice noodles and sauce. It comes in a bowl, with a fork and only uses hot water. I got these at World Market I think, or at my local health food store. They're good and low fat AND they don't use MSG. Sounds perfect for you to carry with you on flights.

#357988 - 04/23/10 05:50 PM
skywalker

It has been a very long time since I posted here and am sorry to have been gone so long. Life just gets in the way. Just not enough time in the day. Shortly after my last post here I built my own house by hand with my wife's help, had a boy, sold the house we built to buy another one that was partly finished, had another boy this past january, plus joined two other forums,(one, Yoda, A Star Wars forum that I am admin on). Poor excuses for letting my diet slide. I still don't have much time to surf but will try to be a bit more active to encourage my refound diet.

I would like to thank you all for the support and advice you gave me almost 7 years ago, especially you Heather. It really helped. I went on a strick diet and lost about 25 lbs in 3-4 months. OF course the years went on and I started to add things back in to my diet. For the most part I didn't have any episodes. Six months after that severe attack in september, I have to say I never felt healthier in my life. Now not so much. I should have stayed with the plan. Today I had a severe episode that lasted for about 45 minutes and was leaning on a vomiting attack too. I am guessing it was the Honey Nut Cheerios. They don't bother me that I know but after a quick google search I have seen many people complain about my same symptoms. It was a bad hotel with no good breakfast options.

I'm going back on the diet full time this time.

--------------------
Luke
<><

#358000 - 04/24/10 07:40 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome back. (Although I'm sorry your IBS is such that you had to return.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#358003 - 04/24/10 09:56 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello Luke:

Your situation is definitely challenging, but not insurmountable. I was involved in a long-distance relationship for 10 years, flying back and forth Toronto to California and I had to deal with the same type of issues as you.

I was lucky though to have access to "safe" food sources at each end. You, on the other hand, go away for days at a time and are at the mercy of restaurant and hotel food. This is very tough because, with IBS, you need to have much of your food special made.

Here are some things you will need for your journeys:

- lunch cooler (soft, insulated)
- to keep food like packed sandwiches cool you will need to take frozen packs of peas or frozen food of some sort that is safe to take into other countries (you can't carry frozen ice packs because of restrictions carrying liquids onboard flights)

IBS-safe snacks with long shelf life that don't require refridgeration:

- Kettle baked potato chips salted (contains only potatoes, oil and salt, no additives)
- Yehuda matzoh (check ingredients ... buy the one that contains only flour and water ... matzoh great substitute for crackers that contains IBS-unsafe additives)
- Nature's Path organic instant hot oatmeal original (ingrediants are rolled oats and sea salt only, no additives)

IBS-SAFE DRINKS:

- peppermint tea, chamomile tea and fennel tea are the only safe herbal teas
- cranberry juice containing no additives (for example, don't drink Ocean Spray, that stuff is garbage)
-bottled spring water (stay away from non-spring water like Dasani)

Some of the foods you are consuming now (Corned Flakes, Lipton sweetened iced lemon tea decaf, etc.) will severely aggravate your IBS.

If you want more info, e-mail me at belinda958@yahoo.ca and I will help you get onto a better diet. Unfortunately, though, there is no magic solution. I follow Heather's diet and I go a few steps beyond -- eating organic as much as possible and staying away from anything that contains additives.

If you want to be well and pain-free, you will probably need to stay away from 95 per cent of all prepared foods and switch to making most of your own foods so you can control the ingredients and ensure they are IBS-safe.

I hope this helps.

Belinda

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 577 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20274

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review