All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
teacher intern here - help
      #19797 - 09/06/03 07:25 AM
ocafe

Reged: 09/06/03
Loc: Miami, Florida

I started interning in a 6th grade classroom 2 weeks ago. Next week I start taking over the class. And of course my IBS is not helping. I have only been eating starches for breakfast and lunch (bread, pretzels, graham crackers). I've also been taking Imodium and Citrucel in the morning and afternoon. Yet, I have had to be excused from class a few times to run to the bathroom. I know stress is a factor, but are there any suggestions out there to help me through this time?

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!
18 more to reach my short term goal!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: teacher intern here - help new
      #19802 - 09/06/03 11:25 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi and welcome to the boards!

I'm sure you will got lots of great of advice, because for some strange reason there seems to be a lot of teachers with IBS - and a lot of them are on these boards. Hopefully, they will have some good tips for you.

What type are you anyway? C or D? I got the impression that you were D since you've been running to the bathroom. Just double checking. Anyway, if you are D you can take a calcium supplement to help. There are lots of past posts on this, so you can do a search if you'd like. Personally, I take the generic form of Caltrate plus D, and it works great for me. I just take one per day.

Also, another thing that worked great for me are the Audio 100 CD's (hypno cd's). You can find more info about them on the hypnotherapy board.

Good luck!

#19806 - 09/06/03 01:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome. I'd make sure you're taking enough of the Citrucel. That can really, really help. There's dosage info here web page

Also, try drinking really hot peppermint or fennel tea throughout the day. They're great anti-spasmodics and muscle relaxants, and can prevent IBS flares. There's info here web page and here web page

And I'd second Mags's suggestion to look into IBS hypnotherapy. It's terrific, especially when anxiety is playing a big role in your attacks. The hypno board is super helpful, and there's also info here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19810 - 09/06/03 02:30 PM
ocafe

Hi Mags! Thanks for the tips. Yes, you are right! I am D! But, I will try the Caltrate! Thanks a million!

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!

#19811 - 09/06/03 02:35 PM
ocafe

Hello Heather, Thanks for your tips. I love hot peppermint tea. But, I have another problem, a small bladder. Throughout the day the only water I drink is the water to swallow my pills in the morning and afternoon. I just saw that you have peppermint caps. Would that work just as well? Or is there something about the HOT tea?

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!

#19813 - 09/06/03 03:19 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi! I'm a teacher too, and I know how overwhelming the beginning of the year can be, even after doing this for 20 years! I would advise finding some form of exercise you really like to help relieve stress. I bike 6 miles every day after school until it snows. It really helps! Good luck! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#19820 - 09/06/03 05:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the peppermint caps will definitely help, but they work best on an ongoing basis. They'll take a while to kick in, which is why it's best to just take them a few times a day, every day. The peppermint tea you'll feel affect you immediately, so it's great when you're feeling bad and need help asap.

Is there any way you can gradually increase your water intake and get used to this? It's really important to have plenty of water during the day in order for the soluble fiber foods and supplements to work properly and keep your GI tract stable. You'll likely find too that water you take with a supplement is less likely to make you run to the bathroom, as the supplement ends up as a gel, not a liquid. So it's different than drinking a glass of plain liquid.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19824 - 09/06/03 06:39 PM
ocafe

I will try to do that - drink a little and hopefully I will be able to gradually increase with time. Thanks for all your help.

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!

#19825 - 09/06/03 06:58 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Hi there. I am also a teacher. If there's one thing that is nearly impossible to do during the day, it's run to the bathroom. The first thing to do is let some of your fellow teachers know that you may need them to help out if you need to run to the bathroom. Secondly, I keep Immodium, Fibercon and Peppermint candies on hand at all times! I also would suggest eating something small everytime you have a break from the kids because sometimes I get going so fast during the day that I sort of forget to eat and then I have horrible D at the end of the day. (And I'm IBS-C.) Also, Yoga or Pilates help relieve the stress of teaching at the end of the day.
Good luck and enjoy your intern teaching experience!
leah

#19838 - 09/07/03 08:47 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

how many times of the week do you take imodine? because it will make you constipated during the week. if you take alot of those pills. also how many times of the day at work do you move a bowel movement? jasper.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#19840 - 09/07/03 10:16 AM
ocafe

I take 1 or 2 Imodium in the morning and 1 or 2 in the afternoon depending on how I'm feeling. I think I would rather be constipated than the other. I'm much more scared to have a D attack. The last two weeks I've had BM's in the morning mostly before leaving home. However, a few days I had to stop at a gas station and at school on those days I went again once. Since I am taking the Imodium, I believe it has to be mostly nerves. Or perhaps I wonder if what I eat the night before may have something to do with it as well. I think I'll start keeping a journal. I can't figure it out and it's scarey!

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!

#19841 - 09/07/03 10:18 AM
ocafe

What it Pilates?

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!

#19842 - 09/07/03 10:19 AM
ocafe

What is Pilates?

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!

#19844 - 09/07/03 11:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there! Welcome to the boards!

Pilates and yoga are great ways to relax. I haven't tried Pilates yet...but my impression is that it's an artistic way to exercise via stretching (a lot of ballet dancers do pilates!) Let me know if you look into it and try it!

I also taught last year. Kindergarten. Every time I left the room it was disastorous...until...

I explained to the students they would get playtime IF they were quietly working until I got back. And it worked!

What grade do you teach...maybe I can help?

I hope you feel better soon!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#19846 - 09/07/03 02:34 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Pilates is sort of like Yoga, but it is more of a resistance training and muscle toning workout. It involves a lot of focused breathing like Yoga and stretching. I love it! You should have a studio nearby or sometimes it's offered at a local health club. You can also do it at home using a Yoga mat, 2 pound hand weights and a book called The Pilates Body. It can be found at all major bookstores. There are also Pilates video tapes. I use the book and studio at times personally. I love it as it relaxes my body and mind and strengthens my muscles! Check it out!
Leah

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 967 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2515

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review