All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Repost: protein and digestion Please HELP! Heather or anyone
      #19391 - 09/02/03 03:28 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Hi everyone,
I'm reposting my question because I only got one answer which I really appreciate but was needing more input! I don't know what I would do with out all of you!
I was wondering if protein is harder to digest? Are there times when I should forgo the health benefits of protein and just stick to the fibers (soluble and insoluble) or is insoluble just as hard as protein. I have a hard time giving up protein but was wondering if this would help with the constipation?
Are there some proteins that are easier to digest than others?
I'm at the point where i just can't take it anymore, i just want to live a normal life and not worry about my stomach every second of every day. My husband thinks that my main problem is stress, but I don't know. I really would appreciate any help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Repost: protein and digestion Please HELP! Heather or anyone new
      #19393 - 09/02/03 04:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Well, there are a lot of variables here. Much depends on the specific proteins you're talking about. Rice has protein, and is very easy to digest. Red meat has protein, and is very difficult to digest.

In general, sources like skinless chicken breasts, seafood, and egg whites are really tolerable for IBS. If you're in the midst of a cycle of attacks, then stick to just soluble fiber foods for a few days (check the front page of the forum for link to breaking the cycle info). Some of these foods (such as oatmeal) are actually decent sources of proteins as well.

Too much protein (particularly animal) can cause or exacerbate constipation, because these foods tend to be very low (or have zero) fiber of any kind, and they also tend to be very low in water content.

Are there specific foods you're wondering about? That might help narrow things down so I can give you better answers.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19396 - 09/02/03 04:49 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm IBS-C and for me, protein does seem to be difficult to digest. I could happily live on bread and butter, potatoes in any form, and a smidgen of peanut butter for the rest of my days . No, really--even too much fish, chicken, or scrambled egg whites can cause problems for me, and I'd rather eat the side dishes than the main course at restaurants. I've had good luck with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chicken hot dogs, vegetarian baked beans, and anything with tofu in it--I LOVE tofu! The key seems to be the bread in the sandwiches, the buns with the hot dogs, the fiber (both sorts) in the beans, and the rice with most tofu dishes--in other words, tons and tons of soluble fiber! That's the key for me. Oh, and I also like hot chicken broth when I'm sick . Hope this helps!

#20679 - 09/14/03 02:17 PM
rlan

Heather thanks for getting back to me! I have been trying different things and still have some questions. For days in a row I was having constipation everyday and nothing worked. I thought maybe it was too much protein. I cut down on it and now I am only eating veggie proteins. I'm def. not getting enough however. In the mean time, I also added baby food prunes and my stomach seems to be better. However, I've been eating more fat (from sweets my cousin got married) and my stomach still seems to be better. Why does it seem that when i eat more fat I'm better? Is is possible to have a diet that is too lean? What about the animal proteins, is it possible I have problems digesting chicken and fish? Is one easier than the other? I need to add more protein back but don't know what has been helping, the prunes, the fat, the higher amount of fiber minus protein. Also why do you only eat soluble during an attack wouldn't that make the C bad because nothing to get things moving?!!
I really appreciate your help sorry it's so long!

#20730 - 09/15/03 09:02 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Same problem here and as I am athletic and fitness oriented my concern was protein as well. I have found what is easiest for me (IBS-C) too is beans, meat alternatives, such as the veggie products, like veggie corndogs, or boca burgers. I don't do well with any meat at all, seafood can be ok as long as I don't overdo it. But mainly I stick with beans high fiber and protein.

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#20795 - 09/15/03 03:43 PM
rlan

thanks so much for your response. It's funny b/c I just bought some "turkey" today. Is there one brand you like best when it comes to the "deli meats"? Do you eat dairy? egg whites? When you say seafood do you mean all fish i.e. salmon etc.

I'm still wondering about the fat? Have you experienced this at all?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3727 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review