All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Choosing Pain Killers
      #19362 - 09/02/03 12:46 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey everyone, does anyone know of any good pain medication for cramps? THere are two one is ibuprofen and the other is acetometaphin (Tyenlol-non-aspirin) Does one work better than the other and can anyone cause stomach upset? I want to take a pain killer that wont upset my stomach but im not sure which one will do the trick

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Choosing Pain Killers new
      #19365 - 09/02/03 12:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey there - been missing you! Are you talking about menstrual cramps or IBS? For menstrual, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory ( or NSAID) is best, because it inhibits prostagladin production, and excess prostagladins are what cause the uterine contractions. In plain English this is something like ibuprofen or naprosyn (Advil, Aleve). These can definitely upset your whole GI tract, so only take with a meal. You can get prescription NSAIDs that are much less likely to cause stomach problems (something like Celebrex) but there's nothing over-the-counter yet.

For IBS, you've only got prescription choices. Either anti-spasmodics (like Levsin, Donnatol, Nulev) or serious painkillers like Vicodin. The lucky Canadians have Dicetel. None of these drugs will cause stomach upset like the NSAIDs, though they can cause constipation and, with the narcotics, nausea.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19371 - 09/02/03 01:29 PM

Unregistered

A pharmasist said to me that people who have IBS should only have Tylenol and none of the others because it might result in an attack. I asked my doctor about it and he said that it's true.

Though remember every IBS person is different in what they will react to.

#19372 - 09/02/03 01:30 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Angela,

I currently take a prescription dose of ibuprofin (motrin) of 800mL for my cramps. My ob-gyn said that this is the highest kind/dose of medication they can give me without going to narcotics. She suggested I take them 3 times a day, starting the day before I'm supposed to start cramping and taking as needed. She even said I could take them 4 times a day if they were really bad.

Check with your ob-gyn as they often have some very good advice (or drugs)!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Choosing Pain Killers-ibuprofen new
      #19374 - 09/02/03 01:37 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I mean menstral cramps- thanks everyone for the advice. Tylenol usually isnt strong enough so I was going to go on ibuprofen. I just hope it doesnt give me stomach aches

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#19407 - 09/02/03 06:12 PM
Radar

Reged: 09/02/03

I take 2 x 500mg Ibuprofen when I have bad pain of any kind (these are the Advil Liquid Caps) and they work pretty well with no stomach upset (knock wood!). Extreme pain calls for Tylenol 3, but the codeine constipates, so be very very careful with it... it also contains caffeine which can aggravate IBS too - still, for a migraine it's great. (I tend to get migraine / IBS attacks almost simultaneously at times).

For IBS cramps or menstrual cramps, though, your best friend is a heating pad - either the "nukeable" kind, the plug-in kind, or the new heat patches (Playtex I think?) that stick to your clothes - just slap one on your lower abdomen and cramps go away.

#19421 - 09/02/03 07:30 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Angela! It's good to see you around!

I take ibuprofen with no probs for menstral cramps - tylenol had never done squat for me! Also, if you can, try the ThermaCare or Playtex heat pads. They work great for cramps!

#19450 - 09/03/03 07:47 AM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I have taken prescription Apo Ibuprofen and it doesn't make my stomach upset but it can happen to other people. My stomach is sensitive so I thought it might make me ill. It's not strong enough for me so now I need to take the pill. I've taken Naproxen too by prescription. It can make your tummy upset too but it didn't for me.

#19509 - 09/03/03 11:34 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Nasids can upset the gi tract, they can even cause ulcers. The new ones that are prescription are better on the gut for sure.

A person might not notice either how upsetting to the gi tract that can be at first.

As Heather mentioned Celebrex, might really be worth looking into. This can sometimes be more gut upset then some realize and long term could be problelmatic.

As a male I do also understand I don't have to live wth menstrual cramps. LOL Well I do with my girlfreind. LOL

However, as a gi irritant it is well known.

I think Robyns post is certainly accurate on this and should be carefully consdiered, in keeping the gut balanced.

On narcotics themselves, they are not prescribe because long term use can lead to narcotic bowel syndrome, where the cell receptors in the gut can have an even lower tolerence to pain then is already happening in IBS. I know some people like this and they are miserable.

"Narcotic. Narcotic analgesic drugs are usually not prescribed for continuous treatment because of possible development of physical dependency or addiction and unwanted side effects, such as drowsiness and interference with clear thinking. Furthermore, continuous narcotic use can actually increase pain sensitivity and also alter gut motility, leading to severe constipation. This is called the "narcotic bowel syndrome" (Annals of Internal Medicine, 1984;101:331–334). Keeping these cautions in mind, narcotic analgesic drugs are occasionally used to relieve intermittent attacks of more severe pain.
"

http://www.grandtimes.com/Treatment_of_Irritable.html

"It is important to realize that narcotics are not indicated -- and can even be harmful and need to be avoided -- in treating chronic abdominal pain. Over long periods of time, narcotics may produce more pain causing a condition called "Narcotic Bowel Syndrome."

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/cfap.htm

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#19515 - 09/03/03 11:56 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Thanks for all the info ShawnEric..

I knew the narcotics were not even a consideration for me, though. I was using those as an example of there being only extreme options after ibuprofin lol

--------------------
- Jennifer

#19524 - 09/03/03 12:39 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Hey no problem angelroses, I just figured the extra info on narcotics in regards to IBS would be worth noting.

The last thing an IBSer would want is more pain.

Here is some nasids and ulcer info. If they can cause ulcers and are gi irritants and IBSers should stay away from things that irritate digestion, however I do understand the problem really.

http://www.aeron.com/volume_2_number_11.htm

"There are no known drugs that are completely free of side effects. Risk is measured relative to perceived benefit, and benefit is relative to the burden of illness. Common medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs NSAIDs like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and others are known to have serious, and even fatal, adverse effects."

So this is part of the issue.

"Risk is measured relative to perceived benefit, and benefit is relative to the burden of illness."

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#338268 - 11/18/08 11:22 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I made a big mistake and took Advil the other day for a headache. Now I am having a huge flare. I should have researched this topic before I took them. Lesson learned........ only Tylenol for me from now on!

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 726 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4055

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review