Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
abdominal pain
      #18946 - 08/28/03 09:18 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Hello out there!

I've hesitated to post because I don't know whether what I'm experiencing right now is IBS-related or not, but I need some advice. I've been sick four days in less than two weeks with abdominal pain, nausea, weakness, and dizziness. The pain is VERY intense and cramping and located just inside my left ribs, extending up almost to my collarbone. The entire area is sore to the touch. And I think I've had a fever off and on. I've missed a day of work and left work early yesterday. I didn't really feel any better today, so after work I went to the urgent care down the road. Spent about four hours there, and basically the doc is stumped. He's sending me for a fasting ultrasound tomorrow, gave me Prevacid samples and a prescription for Symax (a sublingual antispasmodic), and wants me to see a GI doc (again)--he's also concerned about my stress level (see my post on the Living Room board). He wants me to have a colonoscopy to rule out IBD, 'cause the GI doc I saw this summer only did blood work.

I don't think this is "just" an IBS attack because I haven't had D or C; I don't think it's "just" a stomach virus or food poisoning because I haven't thrown up; and besides, the pain is just incredible. I've been in pain like this before--then, they gave me morphine and took my appendix out! <sigh> Does anyone have a suggestion for an avenue I should pursue? I'm feeling pretty upset over the whole mess, and I'm STILL in pain!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: abdominal pain new
      #18955 - 08/29/03 05:35 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Wow, Tess, what a hard time you've been having. I don't know the answer but I encourage to persevere, keep trying to find out what is going on, it may be a long process but there very well may be something going on inside you above and beyond IBS. Esp with that fever! If it were on your right side I'd be thinking gallstones... I just have no clue but will be hoping you get relief and answers SOON!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#18961 - 08/29/03 05:54 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm so sorry you are not feeling well. Having a fever on and off is very concerning, so hopefully your GI doctor can give some answers and call today. Hope the ultrasound shows something today. Sorry I can't be more of help to you, but you will be in my thoughts today.

#18973 - 08/29/03 07:28 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry your feeling so terrible right now, hopefully the docs will come up with something after the ultra sound. I really find HEAT to help with the pain, my heating pad is my best friend! If you have to be out running around or at work, get the ThermaCare portable heat pad, they fit right into your pantys. Hope you start feeling better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#18986 - 08/29/03 09:44 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Tess, a fever is a red flag symptom.

I would go with your doctors suggestions that you have some more tests done. Especially the colonoscopy if you have not had one done yet.

If you haven't had stool work done either I would have that done also, usally three times.

Sorry your not feeling well and hopefully you will soon and they can give you some better answers to your problems.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#19001 - 08/29/03 11:34 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey sweetie - I don't have much helpful advice for you here, but I sure hope that you're feeling better soon. You've been through so much work and stress and big life changes recently, you really deserve a happy healthy time now, not this.

Please keep us posted.

xxoo
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19027 - 08/29/03 01:21 PM
airplane girl

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Indiana

Alrighty, I might not be to much help but I get the same symptoms at least once every two or three months. I am usually "down" for a week or so and the doctors I have gone to are just as stumped and that has left me discouraged to see a doc when I feel like that now. I usually take some Alka-Seltzer and pop an Imodium and take a nap, usually I will wake up soaked in sweat. Now I take the meds even without D but just to settle the nausea 'cause nothing else seemed to work. I will take it easy and only eat chicken broth with noodles for a couple of days and usally my stomach will "let me know" when it can handle more. I too have alot of stress in my life and I know that can't help my situation. I truly hope and pray that all will work out and your doctors will be able to help you because I so understand how you are feeling..

#19062 - 08/29/03 07:37 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

I am sorry you are having such a yucky time. I have had similar pain and it can be horrid. I find heat to be soothing. I also try stretching when possible, but found the fetal position to be comforting as well. Hang in there and let them do what they need to do to find out what's going on. You haven't been exposed to any parasites have you? Have they been ruled out? My pain was caused by a parasite that I got in Nicaragua and then severe IBS afterward. It has all finally calmed down after following the diet, etc. I hope you get feeling better real soon.
leah

Re: TessLouise new
      #19621 - 09/04/03 10:26 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

Hey!! Have you heard back from the doctor about the tests they ran? I was just thinking about you and was wondering how you are feeling this week. Hope you hear something soon.

Joy

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Yikes new
      #19679 - 09/04/03 10:09 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

This sounds worrisome indeed, I trust you have had your heart checked? As well as stomache acid levels? Just a thought. Take care, and let us know how you are doing!
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2883 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3222

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review