All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
No, Augie, that would actually make sense and ... new
      #185169 - 06/09/05 11:30 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

what would be the fun in that? "Sand" is short for "Cassandra" (although that's not my name).

Sandra Boynton (web page) is a hysterical cartoonist who, I think, practically invented Shoebox Cards (a tiny little division of Hallmark). The first Shoebox Card I ever saw was had one of her cuddly furry blue monsters on the front - when you opened it up, it said, "When you care enough to send the hairy beast". Now she seems to do mostly children's books, but she does do a chocolate calendar, with lots of helpful advice like, "Stay away from weddings. Weddings are notorious for serving all white cake with no chocolate in sight."

I've veered seriously off-topic but I'll never pass up a chance to plug Boynton. I wonder if this thread holds the record for most responses? I don't think even the Luna Bar threads get this much traffic!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (06/12/05 03:21 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks, Ruchie ... new
      #185171 - 06/09/05 11:33 AM
Sand

I have to admit I never thought of using that as a book title, but I laughed out loud when I read your suggestion. The book that goes with it would be hysterical, wouldn't it?

I do write a little - I think about writing a lot, but I only actually write a little - but my writing is a little dark to use that title. So, if someone else wants it, they're free to use it. (I do get the standard 10%, of course. )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Tahini new
      #185174 - 06/09/05 11:37 AM
Sand

Great in hummus - I love the Smoky Eggplant Hummus from Heather's EFI. Calories 200, calories from fat 160. Even apart from the high fat content, to me it's far too strongly flavored to use as a spread like PB, but it's a great accent flavor. You can Search on the Recipe Index for "tahini" and probably find other recipes to use it in.

--------------------

Re: Acacia and constipation new
      #185179 - 06/09/05 11:42 AM
Sand

I'm IBS-D, so feel free to ignore me if you want - or scream if it makes you feel better - but I have 3 questions:

How much acacia are you taking now?
What did your progression to this point look like? (For example, I started with 1/2 teaspoon of acacia per day and went up 1/2 teaspoon per day every 3 days. Roughly.)
Are you getting any insoluble fiber at all?

--------------------

Re: insolubles/Maria!Maria! new
      #185202 - 06/09/05 12:27 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm the last one, too. Everything I eat lately looks like something you'd get a curry place (minus the spices and triggors and fats that would get me to a restroom in a hurry).
I just give it a few degrees of spice for others. It's so gut-friendly and gut-soothing.

Linz, my question new
      #185203 - 06/09/05 12:28 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I'm confused because some people posted that removing the skin of all fruits, even nectarines, peaches, and plums make them Soluble fiber by removing the peel. That's how I interpreted Heather's reply.

But Myra said that with some fruits, like peaches, peeling them still allows them to retain some IF, but just makes them more tolerable.

So, I'm confused if peeling makes all fruits/veggies SF and also if cooking them makes them all SF (either with or without the peel). For example, would unpeeled cooked nectarines be be IF or SF? Would cooked peeled zucchini be SF or IF? What would cooked but unpeeled zucchini be? What about fresh green beans vs cooked green beans?

The whole peeling and cooking thing is mixing me up. Do both of these remove the IF? Or just the peeling? Or neither?

Hope all that makes sense.

Re: Beth/insoluables new
      #185210 - 06/09/05 12:46 PM
Wind

I don't want to butt in too far, Beth. I puree my green beans and generally I leave the skins on the zucchini, now. I like mixing and matching, depending on my mood and availability and the selected sf. I basically eat whatever I like that agrees with me and stick it in the food processor. I don't puree the mushrooms unless I'm making a vegan loaf or dip. What blenders do is make any insoluables more soluable and easier to digest/process/assimilate. I still personally have triggers, or foods that even blended totally disagree with me and so I don't bother consuming them (I'm not a sado-masochist). If I'm eating fruit, a mango for example I might toss in some raspberries or strawberries for a little IF, but only if I'm up to it.
The veggies are the most incredible accompaniements/enhancements/sauces/additions/enhancements to sf, for rice/noodles/pasta/grains in general/potatoes/mushrooms/homemade chapati, etc. Not just re: fiber, but flavour and nutrients!
I'll get off your case. Sorry.

Re: nut & seed butters new
      #185212 - 06/09/05 12:53 PM
Wind

There are a lot of nut/seed butters available--blended IF. Everything from pumpkin seed, to sunflower seed, to sesame seed (tahini), hemp seed, soy, almond, pistachio, cashew, etc.
Most are roasted and some are raw. They are quite high in fat.

Re: Tahini new
      #185213 - 06/09/05 12:56 PM
Wind

Often in middle Eastern dip recipes, tahini appears. I just substitute another liquid, usually broth or water or a vinegar.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about... new
      #185214 - 06/09/05 12:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

most fruits and veggies have both in and sol fibers, usually the insoluble mostly in skins/seeds and the soluble fiber inside. But there's some of both kinds in both parts, in general.

You want to minimize your insoluble fiber only enough so that you can tolerate it. If you cook your insoluble fiber, or puree it, or otherwise break it down before you eat it, it's easier to tolerate it. If you just remove most of the insoluble fiber from a fruit or veggie altogether (by peeling it, removing the seeds) then you're just plain not getting any.

There are no black and white rules here, just guidelines. If you can tolerate some raw fruits and veggies (and most folks can, if they have soluble fiber first, if they cut them up or chew thoroughly, if they blend them, etc.) then definitely eat them! If you only need one of these precautions (like not eating raw fruits/veggies on an empty stomach) then you don't have to bother with the rest of them.

If you can tolerate some skins/peels, wonderful - eat as much as possible.

The whole point of the IF guidelines is to let people know that these foods can cause problems, and to give them ways to eat these foods anyways. How you work within the guidelines is up to you, and won't just vary from person to person but will vary for everybody at different times depending on how stable they are. IBS can come and go, the severity can come and, and so can how much insoluble fiber you can tolerate.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2854 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186881

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review