All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
It's not bad for me..... new
      #186273 - 06/14/05 11:51 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

When I'm getting ready in the morning, I drink a glass of water/cranberry juice mixed with Miralax. About 30-40 minutes later, I eat breakfast. It's usually cold cereal (1/2 SF variety and 1/2 IF variety-- like rice Chex mixed with frosted mini wheats) with the flaxseed sprinkled on top. (and soy milk)

I've felt for years that I have to have a good bit of IF in my breakfast on a regular basis, or I get really C. Every now and then I can have a breakfast with all SF. That's just me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yep - a sitz marker test is the gold standard for this... new
      #186330 - 06/14/05 02:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and slow transit is misdiagnosed as IBS a lot. In fact, not so many years ago doctors lumped virtually everyone with any kind of functional bowel disorder into the "IBS" category. It's only very recently that they've started to define other fuctional bowel disorders and to really tightly define and limit the criteria for IBS. My guess is that we'll see the category get even narrower, and more functional disorders defined as separate problems in their own right, as time goes on.

Bad news is I'm not sure there really is an effective treatment for stc right now - in really bad cases they remove the colon. Sometimes they put people on a diet with NO fiber at all - which means no plant foods, basically, which is an invitation to colon cancer, so not so great. They are working on drugs for the disorder, but I'm not sure where things stand. I also don't know if gut directed hypnotherapy has been studied for stc, but if it were me this would be my first approach, because it can't hurt and if it works, odds are it will work really, really well.

Let us know how things go...

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Well, brown rice tends to be one of the best-tolerated whole grains, new
      #186331 - 06/14/05 02:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

and brown rice cereal is more processed than just plain brown rice. So, see how you do. The odds are pretty good it will be just fine. If not, try mixing regular cream of rice cereal with the brown rice version.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks again for the clarification... new
      #186463 - 06/15/05 09:52 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

...and I completely agree that as we learn more about various gut disorders, the "IBS" diagnosis will actually be broken down into several different diagnoses. I made that argument in another post recently, but it wasn't well received! You may or may not agree, but it seems to me that IBS-C and IBS-D are so different in what triggers them, how they're experienced and how they're treated that they must be different disorders. But I guess until we know how they're different and what to do about it, it's a moot point.

I have another question for you, that I also plan to ask my GI doc. What is the etiology of slow transit/decreased motility? Because for me it developed over time (if indeed it is what I have), and it has gotten DRAMATICALLY worse after the last course of antibiotics I took. How could antibiotics affect motility? Is there a relationship between gut flora and motility, or is it only regulated by neurotransmitter activity? If it is only nerve related, then how could antibiotics cause such a dramatic change?

Also, isn't Zelnorm a drug that would theoretically treat slow transit constipation, since it is stimulating the 5 HT-4 receptors associated with peristaltic action?

Perhaps there aren't any answers to these questions yet, but I thought I'd ask anyhow.

Chris

Heather, thanks..Re: No, it doesn't. Soluble fiber can't make anyone with IBS more constipated. new
      #186471 - 06/15/05 10:28 AM
Robgrey

Reged: 04/19/05
Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Heather: Thanks for the clarification on Acacia. I guess I shouldn't take everyone else's emails to heart so much. Having a particularly bad few days where nothing is helping the C. I will keep going along and trying to find the right combo IF and SF and acacia and hope I hit on what works for me-- which is obviously one of the key factors in this whole IBS eating plan. Thanks again. Robin

The many faces of IBS new
      #186486 - 06/15/05 11:32 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

...and I completely agree that as we learn more about various gut disorders, the "IBS" diagnosis will actually be broken down into several different diagnoses. I made that argument in another post recently, but it wasn't well received!

I agree also and I've made that case in a post or two myself. No one seemed to disagree with me about it - I just think that information isn't of much practical use right now so it's more academically interesting than personally useful for most of us. If you're one of the "outriders" whose IBS is further from the "mainstream" (read "harder to help"), it would be of more immediate interest to you, of course.

Let us know how your sitz marker test goes. I hope you're feeling at least somewhat better.

(Only 5 more responses and you hit 200.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: The many faces of IBS new
      #186496 - 06/15/05 12:28 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

IMHO, there is a true IBS that incoporates D, C and A's like me where the triggers are similar and all that varies in diet is how much IF you need. And then there's the people with chronic C that doesn't respond to IBS treatments...and others. SO I kind of agree, but I split the C's and D's up even more!

I really don't know much about the slow transit disorders.. new
      #186535 - 06/15/05 03:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

you might want to check medscape.com in their gastroenterology section. Everything on stc I've ever seen pretty much came from there.

I don't think researchers have learned more than 1% about the various factors that affect gut motility disorders. It's pretty clear by now that probiotics play a huge rule in both motility and inflammatory bowel disorders - but the details of how, exactly, aren't known. They've barely scratched the surface on the whole brain-gut dysfunction, as well. And how do all of these various factors tie together into one IBS or other motility disorder whole? No one has the faintest idea - not yet, anyway. I hope that research delves more into this big-picture approach in the future, and gets away from the microscopic focus on various serotonin receptors in the gut. The drugs that are coming out of that research are barely more effective than a placebo, the body seems to adapt to them very quickly and they stop working, and they're far too symptom-specific instead of addressing the whole enchilada.

One of the most important clarifications, I think, that has been made to IBS diagnostic criteria fairly recently is the insistence on the combination of pain plus bowel dysfunction. The dysfunction can be diarrhea, it can be constipation, or it can be alternating - but it cannot stand alone. It has to occur with abdominal pain. I think this is going to be a key distinguishing point between people who really have the dysfunction gastrocolic reflex, brain-gut abnormality, and hyperreactive bowel of IBS. My guess is that this criteria will allow other bowel motility disorders (which often do not include pain) to be separated out and treated like the distinct disorders they are. Some of those treatments might overlap with what works for IBS, but I doubt that all of them will.

- H

--------------------

I truly believe new
      #186559 - 06/15/05 05:35 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

we've just hit the tip of the iceberg, and I believe there's no such thing as IBS at all...but it's about 5 or 6 different things too. But for now, what we have is called this, and as new research becomes available, it will make so much of this make sense!

I'd love to see a psychological eureka come out of this... but I doubt it. I think we are so accustomed to eating crap all of our lives that it's totally wrecked some of our bodies-through us or our mothers.

Another theory i bounce around is, what if it IS some weird in utero thing? I bet a lot more happens in there than we know, developmentally. And who knows how many things could be atrributed to sweet little mommies sneezing too much while babies were in the tummies?

Just my thoughts on it. I'm a pretty hardcore thinker.
Heather, any opinions or research on that?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

This is so helpful... one final question! new
      #186664 - 06/16/05 10:10 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

If I have constipation WITH pain (and gas, bloating, etc.) does it follow then that I have IBS and NOT STC? Or is it possible to have both?

Chris

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186568

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review