All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
Re: Some confusion now about raw ... new
      #184620 - 06/08/05 09:36 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

This is definietly not true for me, but I suppose it's different for everyone.

If I eat any "crunchy" veggies raw, I try to peel them and grate them on a very fine setting. That seems to help me digest them, and they still have the benefits of "raw".

Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Also... new
      #184622 - 06/08/05 09:37 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Casey is eating IF fruits and veggies raw too. So it must be okay for some people to eat some IF foods raw?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Hi Friend! new
      #184625 - 06/08/05 09:40 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

No apology necessary, though I appreciate it anyhow!

Before taking the antibiotics things were much different. I could keep things moving with fiber and either magnesium (Natural Calm) or aloe.

Now, nothing has worked. Even things that would have previously sent me running to the bathroom 10 times the next day have had very little effect. Clearly the drugs created some major changes in my body.

I've decided to go on Miralax for a short time while I build up to 2-3 TBS of Acacia and reintroduce probiotics into my system. I'm still holding out hope that I can get back to some kind of normal functioning without needing any drugs or laxatives over the long-term.

Chris

Re: Nah, raw isn't taboo... you just have to be careful! new
      #184627 - 06/08/05 09:42 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yep, the mango and pineapple were fresh, not frozen or canned. I had at least a cup of the fruit salad, a cup of tomatoes, and about 1/2 cup of strawberries. (Plus the banana and mushrooms, which are SF.) And actually, yeah, all of those were raw. Now that it's hot, I just don't feel like cooking at all.

Breakfast is always 2 big bowls of cocoa pebbles with vanilla soy milk. I almost never have IF with breakfast anymore... I used to, but I think I burned myself out on the oatmeal-with-fruit thing.

And yep, 2 tea biscuits was enough cushion for me with the fruit snack. Keep in mind that there was mango in there - SF - and that I ate it later in the afternoon, after I'd already been eating SF foods most of the day.

Nope, I didn't eat all the rice before the veggies. I didn't mix them together, either. I do usually take a bite or two of rice (or potato, or pasta) before I eat anything else, but beyond that, I just eat what's on my plate and don't give it a whole lot of thought. But yes, you could mix them, and that would be fine.

I want to stress again that I just didn't go full-bore into eating raw fruits and veggies again. I've done it slowly and gradually over the past couple months. I don't want to see you doubled over in pain because you tried to duplicate what I'm eating all at once!!

Precisely!! new
      #184628 - 06/08/05 09:45 AM
atomic rose

Thank you for putting it so well in so many fewer words than me. NO insoluble fiber foods are completely taboo, you just have to listen to your body and try new things as you feel you can. If raw foods scare ya, there's no need to feel like you have to try to them... and vice versa.

Thanks!

We're all different folks! new
      #184629 - 06/08/05 09:45 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Some people can tolerate mashed cauliflower. Some can tolerate cucumbers. I can't tolerate either, BUT I can eat necatrines with the peel (when I've been stable for a while).

These are GUIDELINES...we each have to figure out what works for us as individuals.

The standards are:

No red meat
No dairy
No IF without a SF buffer

But again...you will find folks that can tolerate some dairy. They are few and far between. And most can only do so if they are stable first.

Hope this helps to clarify things a bit

keep asking questions everyone!!!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I'm not so familiar with gastroparesis, but... new
      #184631 - 06/08/05 09:49 AM
atomic rose

...does it help to eat smaller amounts of food more often? It seems to make sense to me that it would, and that of course is also better for IBS. Trust me, I gained an awful lot of weight back by "grazing"; I know it's possible to trick your body into eating more by just eating tiny (and I do mean pretty darn small!) amounts of food basically all the time.

Something else to consider is your food choices. Do you eat sweets of any kind? I know it's hard with trying to eat GF too, but here's another thing to trust me on - Heather's quick breads are addictive substances and definitely packed with calories, which is something you definitely need. I really don't think you'd even have to do much experimenting to make them GF - rice flour should work in them. Just a thought.

Re: Also... new
      #184635 - 06/08/05 09:57 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Casey is eating IF fruits and veggies raw too. So it must be okay for some people to eat some IF foods raw?

I eat IF fruits and vegetables raw sometimes - I make sure I get SF down me first. (This is one of my very favorite lunches.) I'm hoping to be able to eat them raw every day at some point. I never thought Heather's diet meant I'd never be able to eat raw IF fruits and vegetables again - I figured (hoped?) it was just a matter of getting stable, eating SF first, and being careful.

I'll give up steak, hamburgers, full-fat mayonnaise, real ice cream, and even (sob) Coke. But I've got to believe I'll be able to have an orange or some melon - and strawberries, please, strawberries - from time to time. I know I can't just wander into the kitchen hungry, pick this stuff up and shove it in my mouth, but I do believe I can manage it if I'm careful - and I can sometimes. Next up for me - experiments in smoothies!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: You're probably right, but... new
      #184640 - 06/08/05 10:01 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I wasn't trying to be "technical" or picky or whatever about how many servings of IF you actually ate every day - I just suddenly worried that I'd misunderstood about SF foods and the raw carrots and potatoes I was sneaking while cooking were doing me in. I'm sorry if I offended you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thank you for clarifying this for folks! -nt- new
      #184641 - 06/08/05 10:03 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1254 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186566

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review