All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
This is terrifying... new
      #182343 - 05/31/05 05:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

thanks for letting me know. I've been worried, what with the two additional FDA warnings on Zelnorm since it was released, and with the earlier deaths/ subsequent recall of Lotronex (the only other serotonin-affecting IBS drug out there). But this is the first I've heard of a medical person stating flat out that the end of the road for the drug is actually coming.

I so wish they would push the funding for IBS research into some non-drug (or at least non-serotonin drug) areas.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: This is terrifying... new
      #182344 - 05/31/05 05:54 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

So, Heather, seratonin is not the answer? I know that many have had success with your diet and I tried it for a while. I think that I will give it another honest shot. I just hate restriction, though I need to stop thinking of it that way. I also need to get the full support of my hubby. I might have him read your book.

I'm glad I posted before trying Zelnorm.

Thanks all!

--------------------
~jules

Serotonin is definitely implicated in IBS... new
      #182345 - 05/31/05 06:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but all of the research on this is so new, and so are the attempts to develop drugs that affect serotonin in the gut. Zelnorm is literally the second drug - ever - to come to market that is intended to affect serotonin in the gut. Lotronex was the first, and it killed 11 women. These drugs are really, really new, and they are an entirely new drug class all on their own. Zelnorm is only 5-15% more effective than a placebo, which isn't much. It's really the unknown risks of the drug because it is so new that scares me. I wish it was totally safe and effective - the more options we all have, the better. But with the serotonin-affecting drugs, I don't think we're remotely at a safe and effective point.

-

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Hi, Jules new
      #182346 - 05/31/05 06:00 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

It's good to hear from you again. I hate that you are dealing with the IBS issues while pregnant. This should be one of the best times of your life. I can't believe you only have 6 more weeks to go! It just seems like yesterday when you found out you were pregnant. Hang in there, sweetie! Big hugs!

(Do you know whether it's a girl or boy?) How exciting!

Re: heather/ additional re: zelnorm new
      #182349 - 05/31/05 06:15 PM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

ok..when i frist started taking zelnorm it scared me so bad because i would have panic attacks and feel so sick and get mood swings i wanted to stop immetiatly.but i was detrimed to get my life back and i knew that it could only get better so did i quit?NO WAY!after about 1 week my symptoms got better then 2 weeks i still felt werid after the frist 5 hours of taking it that feeling went on for about a month and a half but zelnorm has given me my life back,i was at 106,anerioxc...i started taking this and i wanted to live life again..it was amazing,now i can go on long trips and be calm when driving i get hungry have a bm everyday or every other day!im now up to 130 and feel amazing!!zelnorm is wonderful and i honestly dont know what i would do without it,i know i would not be here right now if i didnt take the chance..so dont let anyone talk you out of it,go for it.you never know what will happen until you take it.MAN IT FEELS GREAT TO BE ALIVE!

Re: Serotonin is definitely implicated in IBS... new
      #182402 - 06/01/05 02:10 AM
john g

Reged: 05/14/05

Did they pull Lotronex off the market and any idea why it killed 11 women? Am I gonna die from taking my Zelnorm the rest of my life? Zelnorm 1/4 tablet twice a day is helpin me tremendously.

Re: heather/ additional re: zelnorm new
      #182403 - 06/01/05 02:14 AM
john g

Reged: 05/14/05

Let's see if we can prevent Zelnorm from being taken off the market. I for one don't have many options. I am taking 1/4 tablet twice a day with great results. IBS-C.

#182434 - 06/01/05 05:29 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm having a boy! I'm so excited. And yes, dealing with IBS while being pregnant has been quite a trial. I'm really looking forward to getting my body back. Who knows, maybe I'll just feel tremendous relief by delivering him.

Thanks for that info, Heather. Because of the recent thread on the boards about Digestive Advantage, I'm trying that. I have been feeling farly good the past five days and I'm attributing that to the hypnotherapy that I'm doing, as well as eating smaller meals. I also started the past two mornings out with a slice of cinnamon-sugar sourdough bread toast and yogurt and that seems to put my day off on a good foot. But things are so touch-and-go with me, that the IBS is always in the back of my mind. Especially when my baby decides to use my too-full colon as a kicking toy. Please please please let me deliver early!

I'm still wary of the Zelnorm. Hopefully, something will come out one way or the other on the effects of it. My doctor puts patients on it for life; he said that he couldn't pay a patient to come off it at eight weeks because of the relief that they felt. It's so tempting.

Have a great day everyone!

--------------------
~jules

#182443 - 06/01/05 06:31 AM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

John...i honestly dont think our docs would put us on something that would kill us!!why do you only take 1/4 tablet a day?try taking 2 hole ones you will defintly see a big change!i didnt see a change until i took 2 hole ones a day im on 2 6mg..i hope i can be on these for life because i dont know what id do with out them!!this is the only thing thats worked for me!

Doctors put people on drugs that harm all the time! new
      #182447 - 06/01/05 06:49 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Just look at all these arthritis drugs that are being pulled off the market. And yes, people did die from Lotronex.

I think it's a personal choice whether you decide to take Zelnorm or not. If it worked for me (which it didn't) I think I would still take it, even with the risks. I'm glad it is working for some. Just didn't do a thing for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 760 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34729

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review