All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Handling Middle School and IBS
      #17937 - 08/21/03 06:12 AM
DonnaM

Reged: 07/26/03

After 3 doctors and 5 years of testing (and hints that he was faking it), my son was finally diagnosed with IBS a month ago. He's on medicine and we're following Heather's diet, but he still has days when he's afraid to leave the house because of accidents. Last year, we homeschooled for half of the year because of his condition, but he convinced us he wanted to go back. He started school again this fall, but out of the first five days of school, he's already missed three. He wants to be in school, and we want him to be there. The whole situation is frustrating. Any advice/encouragement would be welcomed.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Handling Middle School and IBS new
      #17955 - 08/21/03 08:09 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Sometimes it takes a few months for your "gut" to calm down once getting on the safe diet. Just keep him eating safe and my bet is that he'll start feeling better little by little, he may not even realize it at first. My heart goes out to him, it's hard enough being an adult with this, but to be a kid........ugh!!

#17965 - 08/21/03 09:05 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I understand what your son is going through. I had this in high school, but I never knew what it was.

My suggestion is to phone the school and advise them about your sons IBS and just so they know why he is missing so much school.

I am confident that as long as he sticks to the diet (even while at school) he should be much better in about a month or so.

It's gonna be tough for him though to stay away from the chips and sodas because there are canteens and junk food stands around every corner at high schools.

I would make sure to pack him some baked chips and some of his favorite things so he doesn't feel like he's missing out on anything and won't be so inclined to "cheat" triggering an attack.

Good luck, it's tough enough going to high school, but to be sick as well is not "cool"!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#17974 - 08/21/03 09:38 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome! You got great advice from the other posters, and I'd add that trying the IBS hypno tapes are a good idea as well. They are especially helpful when IBS has been so severe/chronic that people have anxiety about leaving the house because they fear attacks. The fear itself can then trigger attacks, and it's a vicious circle.

I think if your son had the luxury of time he'd gain confidence from the improvements he's seen from diet, and his anxiety would fade on its own accord. But the hypno tapes will help that in a much more active way, and they may work very quickly as well (though they can take months). They certainly can't hurt - my guess is that they'll really, really help.

Check the hypno board on this site and ask any questions.
Details about the program are here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17977 - 08/21/03 09:43 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I second the hypno tapes - they helped me with anxiety from leaving the house.

Thanks to All who Responded new
      #18288 - 08/23/03 06:06 AM
DonnaM

Reged: 07/26/03

Thanks for all your great advice. My son seems to be doing better and we hope to have in back in school on Monday. What a week! I'll talk to him about the tapes, but teenage boys aren't always receptive to new things.

#18295 - 08/23/03 08:34 AM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

I agree. It will take a bit for his tummy and system to calm down, but once it does, he'll be ok and able to attend school more regularly. I am a teacher with IBS. Make sure that you talk with his teachers and school staff and let them know what's going on. They should be understanding and let him use the restroom as needed and such. Best of luck!
leah

#18301 - 08/23/03 12:16 PM
Free2bDee

Reged: 07/22/03

I can completely understand what you're going through. My daughter, 12, missed all but 2 mos. of her entire 6th grade year (also middle school). We've been working like mad to find out what's wrong with her and it's been very difficult for her to be away from school. She's an excellent student and she enjoys the interaction there. It was awful to see her suffering so much with her gastro. symptoms and not being able to do things other kids were doing. She did have one friend that visited a few times before she left town for the Summer. What can be worse is dealing with how to handle the school work, etc. I would like to type more on this, but I need to run out the door for a bit... I'll leave my email here if you wish to share more that way.
Take care and I'll hope to hear from you soon...
FREE2BDEE@aol.com

--------------------
~Deborah

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3784 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 869

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review