All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Just wanted to share something to encourage others!
      #178785 - 05/13/05 10:42 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

When I came to this board about 16-17 months ago, my IBS had been in full-flare for over a year. I'm IBS-C right now (started out D about 14 years ago), and I was in misery. I began to read, ask questions, learn and research things because of this board, and now I am almost back to stable again.

Foods are not my biggest trigger - that would be stress. And at this point in time I'm dealing with some very serious health issues with my oldest son that have sent my stree-levels off the chart! Thanks to what I have learned here, I am able to weather the storm without having to deal with a severe IBS flare on top of everything else!

In short, what I want to say is that for those of you struggling, don't give up! For those of you new here - you have found the world's greatest resource of information and help! For those of you who have been here for a while - my deepest gratitude for sharing your wisdom and encouragement! And for Heather - God's richest blessings for making all of this possible!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yay and Ditto! - nt new
      #178791 - 05/13/05 11:00 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Re: Just wanted to share something to encourage others! new
      #178792 - 05/13/05 11:03 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

What a wonderful post!! Thanks!! Glad you are much better now....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#178850 - 05/13/05 02:34 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad you're doing so well IBS-wise and hope your son's health issues are cleared up soon.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#178866 - 05/13/05 04:11 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Yay bamagirl, its good to share positives and encouragement.

--------------------
S.

Bamagirl new
      #180788 - 05/23/05 12:30 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

So nice to hear you have found such good results with the diet!

I am also an IBS-C person, but have yet to figure out what to take/eat in order to get unconstipated. Would you mind sharing what your daily supplements consists of? Both the brand name and dosage amounts?

I think I may have spent over 1,000 dollars on empty promises or things that either don't work or have made me feel worse. Zelnorm has not even helped me.

Also, could you share what foods you tend to eat that may help your constipation. Or what foods may make the constipation worse for you? I think I read where you don't eat bananas, but what foods do you think help your constipation and what other foods to you stay away from?

I hope you have time to do this. I'm sorry about your sons struggles.

Fully agreed, and Bama and other Christians out there... new
      #180816 - 05/23/05 03:42 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Once I let go and let God, it helped a bit too. I too know how stress kicks it up a notch, and faith that God will let it turn out alright helps.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I'm so happy to hear this!!! How wonderful for you!!! -nt- new
      #180826 - 05/23/05 04:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

That is so wonderful, I am so happy for you!!! -nt- new
      #180831 - 05/23/05 05:03 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I think I found the post were referring to on the other board! So sorry!! new
      #180951 - 05/24/05 11:30 AM
bamagirl

Ok, pardon me for being slow. I really have been sooo busy with family health issues!

I started introducing supplements one at a time, slowly, according to reccomendations on this site. First, the acacia: I started at 1/4 t with each meal and increased by 1/4 t with each meal every 4 weeks. I know that is SLOW, but it worked. Now, I'm taking 2 1/2t before each meal. I tried more, but had problems, so I'm sticking at the 2 1/2t with each meal.

Next, I introduced calcium/magnesium supplement. I started with a liquid supplement from Lifeway, but found I could tolerate tablets as long as they were chelated. Right now, I'm using a store brand that has 250mg cal/ 125mg Mag each tablet, and I take this before each meal. I tried this for about a month before adding the next supplement.

Jarrodophilus EPS. once a day in the evening.

A couple of months later I added Digestive Enzymes. Stopped those because it interfered with my BC pills per my GYN.

Added Omega 3-6-9 blend at the same time as Digestive Enzymes and have continued. First used NOW brand, now using Natrol. I'm on a budget, and buy a good name brand but only what I can afford at the time.

When I started the Acacia, I added the Water, water, water and have found that is a big help. 8oz with my Acacia 3x a day and two 30oz cups throughout the day. This is in addition to drinks at meal times and that is only decaf tea.

The only other thing I have experimented with is the amount of IF that I get during the day. I really try to add some at each meal. A tomatoe or strawberries at bfast, tomatoe, lettuce and cucumber on my sandwich at lunch , a salad with supper...that's the general idea. It has made a HUGE difference.

So, as of today, 5-24-05, I take Acacia 2 1/2 t, one cal/mag tablet and an Omega 3-6-9 with each meal. At supper time, I add the Jarrow to the mix. I drink plenty of water and add a bunch of IF, and my BM's are daily and most of the time 2 times a day. I still deal with bloat and gas, but not near as bad as it was before. I have to stay away from anything fried, I can't eat a lot of any meat all at once, and anything high in fat is a no-no sweet or otherwise.

Stress is my biggest trigger, so I have to watch that and get as much sleep as I can.

I tried peppermint caps, but found Altoids 2 at a time work fine if I get crampy. I also have a prescription for an antispasmodic in a real crisis, but haven't had to use it in several months.

I know this is long, but it's what has worked for me. One supplement at a time let me know what was working and what was not. I-herb.com is a great place to get supplements without going broke on shipping. And that's about it.

Again, sorry for the delayed response. An awful lot going on in my family right now! So glad I don't have to be bothered by IBS attacks too!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Fully agreed, and Bama and other Christians out there... new
      #180954 - 05/24/05 11:32 AM
bamagirl

Thank you for this!!! Letting go is really hard for me! Pray for me that I will let go more easily!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Thank You!! new
      #180963 - 05/24/05 12:50 PM
Cyndy

Thanks for taking the time to write all this out, Kim. I'm so sorry you are dealing with family health issues. I hope things turn out well for you. I will say a prayer that God gives you the strength to get through all that you are dealing with.

If I may, I have a few additional questions on your "regime".

Is it Tablespoons or Teaspoons of Acacia? I'm assuming teaspoons. I haven't tried acacia fiber yet because I haven't tolerated others so well.

I'm surprised the calcium doesn't constipate you. I checked out the Lifeway too, but it contains fructose or some other type of flavorings that I thought would be too aggravating to the tummy. I couldn't find a "plain" liquid form of Cal/Mag. What store brand cal/mag do you take? I've never seen a chelated combo of cal/mag, just separate chelated forms. Do you get it at a HFS? Or a regular grocery store? And you take it 3 times a day for a total of 750mg calcium and 375mg Mag, right?

Did the digestive enzymes help you when you did take them? I am experimenting with Digest Gold,but don't seem much of a difference.

Finally, promise , you take the Omega 3-6-9 three times a day? Are they in the refrigerated section of a store? I read that they must be refrigerated in order not be rancid.

Do you get all your stuff at a regular grocery store or do you find it at a special store? Or at the website you listed?

I am not good with many IF foods, especially raw or salads. They don't like me very much. So I'm not sure how to get much more into me. But I need, need, need to drink more water. I tend to just sip on tea all day. I wonder if water would be better than tea or if tea counts toward total liquid.

How do you get liquids in when you aren't suppose to drink before or immediately after a meal? How do you take your acacia beforehand then? And aren't you suppose to wait a while after eating to drink?

Anyhow, thanks again. I appreciate all your help and patience!

Re: Thank You!! new
      #180969 - 05/24/05 01:34 PM
bamagirl

Let me take a shot at this
Acacia: 2 1/2 teaspoons before each meal
Cal/Mag: can't remember the brand, but the amount is right. The last Cal/Mag I used was chelated Natural Source that I bought at a local HFS, I just ordered some more from I-Herb.com, also chelated and it was Natural Factors I think. My rule of thumb is no more than 750/800mg of cal and at least half that in Mag and I don't have a problem with more C. The liquid I used was Lifeway brand that I ordered from Puritan's Pride. They also have a chelated cal/mag supplement that is highly recommended.

Digestive Enzymes: I think they helped some, but not a tremendous amount. I just did not want to give up my BC pills for patches and other methods, so dropped the enzymes. The probiotics are much more helpful!

Omega 3-6-9 I used was not refrigerated and I ordered it from I-Herb also...currently using a Natrol brand I purchased at wal-mart, also not refrigerated. I keep it dry, out of light and cool not cold. I think it has been fine, and yes I take it at each meal along with the other stuff.

Water is KEY!!! Not tea for me...WATER!!

As to the IF's, you'll have to play around with that and find what works for you. I can actually tolerate and apple with the peeling at times, so I'm an exception to the rule I think on that deal. IF's do give me some gas and bloat - I'm not claiming freedom from all that lovliness - but it is tolerable with the help of the other supplements.

Bottom line, SF before any meal, plenty of water to make it work, and the rest, as they say, is history! I'm sticking with the Omega's with a secondary motive, and that is supposed to help with heart health, and I have a heart murmur, and also help level out hormones, and I have HORRID PMS!

That's my story! Right now, I'm ordering everything I can through I-Herb.com, and picking up some in-betweens at the local pharmacy and wal-mart. The HFS's are not convenient to my home, so I only get to shop there when I'm in the area. Hope this helps!

Trial and error is part of this, so take it slow, introduce one thing at a time and give it time to work. Happy afternoon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Tolerable is good enough for me, Kim! new
      #180977 - 05/24/05 01:48 PM
Cyndy

Thanks again! You've been so very helpful!

I will, and He is.-nt- new
      #181041 - 05/24/05 09:24 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Amen to that! new
      #181075 - 05/25/05 06:53 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

"We can do all things through God....." even make it through IBS!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2365

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review