All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Afraid to Post
      #178497 - 05/12/05 10:01 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I just wanted to say that with all the recent events, many of us, myself included, are afraid to post any questions for fear that we are going to be yelled at for not doing a search first. I'm not sure what the big deal is - if it annoys you, can't you just ignore the post? I know that often times when I do a search I get WAY too many results and after combing through them I find that my question wasn't answered exactly. Or maybe the answer could be outdated...

I just think that we should all be more tolerant of others asking questions on these boards. That's what they are here for, right?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Afraid to Post new
      #178498 - 05/12/05 10:21 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi! I don't think anybody is rude to ask you to do a search. One thing that happens is that people tend to ask the same questions over and over and over again. I think it's perfectly ok to politely ask that people put in a little effort and see if that question has already been answered. If it hasn't, or if all of the info you need isn't there, it shouldn't be a problem to post your need for more specific information. I'm sure this is why Heather pays for the storage of all of the old threads!

Heather actually encourages this herself new
      #178502 - 05/12/05 10:35 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I read her initial message for new posters (here is a link) web page And in her first paragraph she explains why it is so important to use the search. Here is another more recent post by her. web page

I think this might help explain the boards a little more. I'm new, and find the search button very helpful!

Re: Heather actually encourages this herself new
      #178506 - 05/12/05 10:44 AM
MCV

Quote:

I read her initial message for new posters (here is a link) web page And in her first paragraph she explains why it is so important to use the search. Here is another more recent post by her. web page

I think this might help explain the boards a little more. I'm new, and find the search button very helpful!

I think I may not have explained myself clearly. I do use the search option all the time. But there have been a few instances where after conducting a search I still have a question. So I post that question and the immediate response has been, do a search. I completely understand why everyone gets annoyed when the same person posts the same question over and over again - that is not what I am referring to. All I am saying is that I am hesitant to post any questions now because I'm nervous that I may ask something that has already been discussed and that everyone will "revolt" against me. I have trouble narrowing down my searches enough to find exactly what I am looking for without having to read through hours and hours of posts.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#178507 - 05/12/05 10:46 AM
chinagrl

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Why don't you just write, "I did a search and didn't find the answer" and cut those people off at the pass?

The problem is, if you tell everyone to just ignore posts that repeat questions they *know* have been answered, they just start ignoring this whole board. Then we get people in the living room grumbling about everyone ignoring the Diet for IBS board! It's a lose-lose situation.

Ask Away! new
      #178509 - 05/12/05 10:48 AM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Personally I wouldn't worry that much about it. You sound very considerate and I think that's all they're really asking. You've done your due diligence in searching so ask away!

And if someone has a problem with it... well that's their problem not yours.

If it really concerns you then you could always add in your post that you searched and couldn't find an answer to your specific question.

HTH,
Mike

Re: Ask Away! new
      #178510 - 05/12/05 10:51 AM
chinagrl

Hey man- I said that first! No fair stealing my ideas!! Just kidding. Yeah, obviously I totally agree with what you said.

#178512 - 05/12/05 10:52 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Why don't you just write, "I did a search and didn't find the answer" and cut those people off at the pass? PERFECT solution.... this will work Ask away sweetie!!

The problem is, if you tell everyone to just ignore posts that repeat questions they *know* have been answered, they just start ignoring this whole board. Then we get people in the living room grumbling about everyone ignoring the Diet for IBS board! It's a lose-lose situation.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Thank you new
      #178514 - 05/12/05 10:58 AM
MCV

I feel a little better now. I really just don't want to tick anyone off. It seems like a lot of people are a little on edge lately. These boards have been my second home since I was diagnosed and I want to make sure that I get as much from them as I can.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Thank you new
      #178515 - 05/12/05 10:58 AM
chinagrl

I agree, the boards have been on edge lately. But I wouldn't worry about it, it's summer and the warm weather should mellow everybody out (I hope).

MCV new
      #178516 - 05/12/05 11:05 AM
Cyndy

Not sure what's been going on, but I don't think you should be afraid to post a question! We don't need more stress and anxiety! Not good for the IBS!

Let's all keep helping each other!

Good for you, MCV! (m) new
      #178523 - 05/12/05 11:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Thank you for posting this. Better to drag stuff out into the open than to have posters worrying - and abandoning the Boards - over all this brouhaha.

I suggested something a while back and - being either admirably tenacious or regrettably bull-headed - would like to suggest it again. How about two new Board acronyms:

Quote:

ISOT (I Searched On That) - for posters who looked for information and didn't find anything, want still more info, have something new to say, are now hopelessly confused, etc.

PSOT (Please Search On That) - for responders who know there's a wealth of information already available on the Boards for whatever issue has been raised.

After reading MCV's post, I'd also say that "I'm overwhelmed by the number of hits" is also a good reason to ask even after searching.

Sample usages:

Quote:

ISOT: "calcium". I got pages and pages of hits. Can someone please help me figure out what supplements are good for me?

Quote:

PSOT: "calcium supplement". This might narrow your search a little.

Moving on from my own agenda here , I don't think there's anything wrong with suggesting that people do a search, but I think the suggestion goes down a little more easily if it's wrapped in some helpfulness - particularly if the person is new to the Board and/or terribly in need of help and/or not a habitual "no-search" offender. I think there's a lot of difference between:

Quote:

This has been discussed a million times. Do a search on calcium.

and

Quote:

This has been discussed a lot. I personally take Tums and do fine with it, but you should do a search and see what other people are taking. Something else might work better for you. If you need help doing a search or you can't find what you want, please ask again.

I suspect the former may be what MCV means when she talks about people "yelling".

I personally often enjoy answering questions that I know have been asked before - it makes me think about how much I've learned. As long as the asker isn't clogging up the Boards with hundreds of questions, I don't really see it as a problem.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Good for you, MCV! (m) new
      #178531 - 05/12/05 11:57 AM
MCV

You said it EXACTLY the way I meant it! Thanks, Sand.

And I like the new acronyms you suggested.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

You're welcome and I'm glad you like them. Yay for us! -nt- new
      #178534 - 05/12/05 12:12 PM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

No one should ever be afraid to post on the boards... new
      #178563 - 05/12/05 03:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and if you've already searched for something and couldn't find answers, let people know that in your question. Do be sure that you're searching both the site itself (use the search box at the top right side of every page) as well as searching the boards.

There has been ONE person who has lately posted the same type of question (or the same exact question) repeately on the boards, and that person has been asked to please not post again. Other than the friction that whole incident caused there haven't been situations that I'm aware of where someone was discouraged from posting or told in a rude way that they should just search the boards.

If anyone ever sees ANY type of rude, inappropriate, or just plain unwelcoming behavior on any of the boards, please email me at help@helpforibs.com. I'll take care of it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#178581 - 05/12/05 04:08 PM
jhoffa1986

Reged: 05/09/05

I echo that sentiment. I have been scared to post this week too, and it has hurt me. This week I have had a terrible case of bloating, and not being able to ask for advice on here that is peronsalize has really made it worse. Having support and people to get information from guides me, when I am afraid to post you know what happens?
Instead of preparing a reciepe that should work with Irritable Bowel Syndrome I get apathetic since I have nobody to discuss or get information from, and I just give up, eating badly.
I get like a person trying to lose weight who is discouraged, I put down the saled and have some chips figuering without information I am doomed, and to be fair, without posting here and getting the help, I am.

#178609 - 05/12/05 05:33 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think what bothers some people is not that searches weren't done for specific things but when people ask questions without doing any reading first. A poster should read Heather's Read this first- for newbies stuff at the top of the first page of the board and at least know the gist of the diet. Other than that I don't mind the same sort of questions being asked often. It is just the way it is. In fact I have been working on a "sticky post" with all the FAQ's and tips we always give in a nice list. But I am not close to done. I feel very responsible for helping people feel better since I have learned so much from others helping me in the last year.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

The sticky post sounds like a good idea. (m) new
      #178703 - 05/13/05 06:28 AM
Sand

Even if it's not close to being done, is it in usable-enough form to "stick" anyhow? I know author's usually hate for their work to be seen "in process" but if your post will tie together all the "go here for this", "go there for that", "here's how you search", "here's the BTC diet", etc., etc., I say the sooner the better. And hooray for you!

--------------------

What do you mean by sticky post? new
      #178706 - 05/13/05 06:31 AM
Cyndy

I'm not sure what you are referring to? Is this some way to mark and keep information in one place?

Re: What do you mean by sticky post? new
      #178725 - 05/13/05 07:03 AM
Little Minnie

Sticky posts are at the top of the board and stay there.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Need help new
      #178729 - 05/13/05 07:06 AM
Little Minnie

Thanks! Some info is in Heather's pages but is often not seen and repetition is always good. I just think there are some little hints that would be good to have always ready to be learned.
For anyone who is very familiar with the diet and wants to help form this list please let me know via e-mail.

--------------------

Oh, so this is a project you new
      #178733 - 05/13/05 07:11 AM
Cyndy

are working on for Heather? I thought it was a way to mark our own posts that saved them for are own knowledge.

Yes, people should all read those top posts new
      #178734 - 05/13/05 07:14 AM
Cyndy

Many people don't seem to take the time to read them, in an urgent desperation to get to the message board. But they are so very helpful and many of the questions people ask can be answered in those wonderful posts! Not all, but some! There is always need for further help and explanations.

Thank goodness we can ask and thank you for being so nice to offer your help. It's nice when others, like you, stick around to help the lost souls, like me! Thanks you Little Minnie! You are so much appreciated!

Edited by Cyndy (05/13/05 07:16 AM)

Hey that was my idea Jenny! new
      #178797 - 05/13/05 11:17 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you let us know that you've already done a search, then if we *know* the posts are out there we'll try to find them ourselves. Or we can just try and answer the questions!

You are welcome! -nt new
      #178893 - 05/13/05 06:41 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3829

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review