All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Problem with soy
      #17839 - 08/20/03 09:38 AM
kiks

Reged: 08/19/03

This is really for anyone out there, but of course I'd love to hear from Heather. I've been following the diet from the books for a couple weeks now, and my IBS-C is improving.
Here's my problem: I think that soy makes me very gassy. Of course, I can't be positive that is all soy, and it might be the mixture of soy with other things. I think I've have problems with soy cheese, yogurt, and "Soy Crisps." I want to try TVP, but I'm a little afraid.
I've tried to switch over to rice milk and cheese, but I'm also worried about not getting enough protein (and I don't like it as much). Are there certain forms of soy that tend to cause gas and others that might be safer? Could the problem be caused by another ingredient in these soy products? I'd like to make it part of my diet, but I'm not sure if I can.
Thanks for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Problem with soy new
      #17840 - 08/20/03 09:45 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You may want to try taking Beano when you eat soy.

#17846 - 08/20/03 10:17 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Soy does seem to make people gassey, espeacially when you first start eating it. the more often you eat it the better your body will digest it and the less gas you will have! I love TVP, I take 2 beano as I sit down to eat and 2 gas-x after if I get a little gassey and that really helps!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#17852 - 08/20/03 11:56 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Do a board search for soy and you'll see past posts on this topic. Using Beano is a good idea from Mags, as is starting with soy milk before working up to things like tofu or TVP. If you've never much had soy before, your body might need to adjust to it, so starting with a glass of soy milk a day or so and then gradually increasing should do the trick.

You can combine the soy/rice products too. Eat soy cheese if you prefer it, but cook with rice milk for the time being.

For protein, if you're eating fish, skinless chicken breasts, and egg whites you should be just fine. If you're completely vegan let me know...

Hang in there. This is one problem that usually does completely disappear.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Problem with soy... couple more questions... new
      #18269 - 08/22/03 06:21 PM
kiks

Reged: 08/19/03

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try it out. My only concern: do beano or gas-x cause constipation? I'm IBS-C so thats a big concern for me.
Also, I had a lactose tolerance test and it came back negative... should I still stay away from dairy?
thanks again!

Re: Problem with soy... couple more questions... new
      #18271 - 08/22/03 06:38 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I don't think they cause C, but I'm not sure.

As for the dairy, it also contains whey & casein in addition to lactose, which cause problems, so it's best to stay away from dairy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1202

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review