All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
constant pain and depression, need help
      #17809 - 08/19/03 10:24 PM
marla

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: pa

HI, I haven't posted much since I joined, I feel so isolated and alone. It seems most of you have pain related to different foods but my pain is constant and seems unrelated to anything. From the time I get up until the time I go to bed, my stomach hurts. It literally feels as though someone ripped my intestines to shreds and stuck them back in, putting an anchor in them for good measure! I also have nauseau on and off all day and I belch constantly. I have been very strict following the ibs diet for about three weeks now. Gave up everything I was supposed to, I excercise every day. The only thing I;m not very good at is taking enough fiber, I only take one fibercon tablet a day. PLEASE help if you can, let me know if there are others like this, I feel alone and scared. I don't want to live the rest of my life like this, it's not worth it. Is the fiber the key? Is time the key? Is it just like this in some people forever? I feel desperate and appreciate any input. Thanks so much for listening. Marla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: constant pain and depression, need help new
      #17821 - 08/20/03 05:42 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Marla,
It does get better! Hang in there! When I first started this eating plan of Heather's, I was depressed too. I felt so horrible every day. I would wake up in the morning with stomach pain and go to bed every night with it hurting. I remember waking up crying because I did not feel like I could make it through another day. I could not imagine my life like that forever!
I will tell you that it takes time for your body to adjust to eating differently. I have followed Heather's guidelines for about 3 months now, and I can tell a noticeable difference now. I have more good days than bad ones.
I don't know whether you have IBS-C or IBS-D (or both), but I have IBS-C and I know now that I was making my situation a lot worse by avoiding insoluble fiber and eating only soluble fiber. Once I started faithfully taking the fiber supplements and eating insoluble fiber too, I saw a big improvement. (I tried all the fiber supplements and have finally settled on Citrucel. The Fibercon tablets and Metamucil gave me horrible gas pains.) Everyone is different. If the fiber supplement is not working for you, try another one----and try upping the dosage. I have to take mine 3 times a day (with meals) for it to help.
Also, it is trial and error as to what you can eat. I was eating oatmeal every day for breakfast and was doing so poorly, that I decided to stop that. Once I switched to Rice Chex cereal with rice milk, I saw a big improvement. Just keep trying different things until you feel better.
Let us know what you are eating and how much fiber supplement you are taking, and maybe some of us could make some suggestions as to what could help you. We are here for you!

#17831 - 08/20/03 08:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

So sorry you feel so bad, I do understand. I have had IBS C for about 17 years now. The last couple of years it has been really bad. For the last 3 months I have also had pain eveyday, and nausau and bloating. Some days are better than others, some days I can't stand to put clothes on because the slightest pressure hurts so much. I have not be able to figure out exactly what is causing mine either. Like Beaglelover said, I too was not eating enough insoluable fiber when I first started Heathers diet, my constipation is a little better since adding more insoluable fiber. I find that the heating pad helps the most and I did get my doctor to write a prescription for Vicidon, its a pretty strong pain pill and I only take it occasionally. I also take Mira-Lax everyday and 8 fibercon a day. I think you really need to increase your fiber supplement. Just try to remember, you are not alone and it won't stay this bad forever! Make sure you are drinking a ton of water!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#17833 - 08/20/03 08:39 AM
ArynMagoo

Reged: 08/13/03
Loc: California

I do also agree with them. I have gone through some really bad days but then have some great ones.
If you hang in there i promise you can get through it. I was crying everyday until i found this wonderful website. Everyone on here helps so much and you don't feel alone anymore.
also what insoluble fibers are you guys talking about that you eat that you can tolerate the most because i have too basically cut all of them out of my diet?
And you just take the pills right before you eat and it helps?

#17835 - 08/20/03 08:51 AM
BL

When I say I have added insoluble fiber, I'm talking about eating things like a peeled diced peach with my Rice Chex cereal in the morning, having canned green beans with my dinner, or having the small canned diced fruit for lunch. (I have IBS-C so I think this fiber helps me. I can't have a banana, but this may be different for those with IBS-D.) I still stay shy of salads, but I will fix a grilled chicken fajita wrap and include grilled (or sauteed) green bell peppers, red peppers, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. I would never eat these things RAW or even undercooked because they would upset my tummy if I did. But cooked very well(almost charred on the grill) they taste great and this has helped me to normalize my BM's.
Never eat these things on an empty stomach. Add them to your meals as long as you are eating some soluble fiber such as potato, rice, and bread.
As for the fiber supplements, I drink a tablespoon of Citrucel in water before each meal. This way you have some soluble fiber in your stomach before you eat any of this insoluble fiber. I found that the regular orange flavor of Citrucel, not the clear mix, tastes and mixes better and is working great for me.
I know everyone is different, but I hope these suggestions help you. It's worth a try if you are still having problems.

#17845 - 08/20/03 10:12 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I can tolerate a lot more insoluable fiber than most. I do eat salads (with bread of course) I put rice cheese, grilled chicken or tuna, chick peas and pickles or peas on my salads with non fat dressing. Hummus is usually tolerated well and taste great on pita or lavash. I also do a lot of canned fruits and veggies. I also eat a bowl of raisin bran with rice mile a couple times a week. Just try one or two of these at first and see how you feel, keep gradually adding things and eliminate what upsets you. Brown rice is usually tolerated well also. I take 4 fibercon in the am and pm, I think thats the maxium dosage.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#17848 - 08/20/03 11:04 AM
tinam

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Florida

Marla,

Please know that I am praying for you. I too am new to the board but I know you are not alone. Just look at all the friendly faces on this board. And they have great advice too.

I have been hurting daily for over a month now but I finally found some foods that make things easier and just drink water, water, water........

Blessings,
Tina

--------------------
Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; Psalm 55:22

Insoluble fiber... new
      #17851 - 08/20/03 11:52 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - It's really, really important that you don't eliminate insoluble fiber foods from your diet. The only time you'd do this is if you're following the "breaking the cycle" info here web page, and that's just for a few days to stop the constant muscle spasms and start stabilizing. After that, and on a daily basis, you need to eat as much insoluble fiber foods as you can handle (see here - scroll down the page web page ). If you cook, peel, dice, puree these foods and combine with soluble fiber, they should be very tolerable. This means blending fresh fruits with soy/rice milk into smoothies, cooking and blending veggies/beans into soups or pasta sauces or dips, making fruit breads (pumpkin, banana, zucchini, etc.). You can also try adding in brown rice and oatmeal, the two most generally tolerable whole grains for IBS.

Also, do make sure you're increasing your fiber supplement as everyone says, and drinking LOTS of water. Info about the supplements is here web page.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17879 - 08/20/03 04:42 PM
marla

First, let me say thanks to all who wrote back. Tonight, the pain is unbearable since dinner. I think it was too fatty. Fat seems to be the worst for me. Just to clarify a few things so maybe you guys can help me make better decisions. I am IBS-D. I don't know what difference this makes but I have Addison's disease and take steroids for it. I can not tolerate any insoluble fiber at this point except cooked carrots, peas and bananas. I'm only taking one Fibercon a day, before dinner. My worst time of day is after dinner. I start each day with Rice Chex and Lactaid milk, usually have a fruit yogurt for lunch and then dinner. Sometimes I think I have something else, not IBS, but I guess lots of people think that at first. Any other suggestions would be truly appreciated and thanks so much for listening and caring... Marla

#17881 - 08/20/03 05:00 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Marla, don't know if you're using peppermint tea or not, but when I first started the diet I added more and more peppermint tea and peppermint Altoids as well. I thought it was helping, but also noticed that my symptoms were gradually getting worse and worse until every day was spent just like you describe. My daughter suggested it might be all the peppermint that was making things worse, so I quit the peppermint and switched to chamomile tea. Dropping all the peppermint made a huge and immediate difference. Is there anything that others may be able to tolerate well, but which you've added to your diet and have seen your symptoms get worse and worse? It may be something that is supposed to be okay, but for you just isn't.

#17883 - 08/20/03 05:12 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Marla!

I've read everyone else's posts and don't have much to add regarding the food issue - it's trial and error. A couple of thoughts, though - I don't know your history, but did you self-diagnose or have you been thru any testing, i.e., colonoscopy? endoscopy? others? Is any of this "new" or is this pretty much a chronic condition? Either way, if you've never had a checkup from a board-certified gastroenterologist, you might want to consider it just to make sure you're dealing ONLY with IBS - especially if these are new symptoms. (In Feb & March, my "d" flared up badly - couldn't work - had a colonoscopy which was painless and discovered that I had "mild acute colitis". The doctor put me on a course of meds and at my last checkup she said she believes the meds have worked - it's not a chronic condition. Just wanted to encourage you to not let things go on too long without checking back in with your doctor - catching things in early stages is a blessing).

You mentioned depression - some people with IBS benefit from taking a low-dose antidepressant (the gut is sometimes called the "second brain" - and it produces 95% of our serotonin - which helps us feel good). Also, many people on the board say that they benefit from the relaxation techniques, like yoga and hypnotherapy. Personally, I use deep breathing and stretching when I'm having a bout with pain. As difficult as it may seem at the time, I try really hard not to double over when I'm cramping - if I breathe properly (as opposed to holding my breath!) and stretch gently, it seems to help, whereas if I give in and double over, the pain seems worse. A therapist taught me the breathing exercises and also told me that we can't be tense AND relaxed at the same time - physiologically impossible! So, the concious effort to relax really can work. One of the best things I did when I was having a rough time was to get some good "talk therapy" - helped me deal with reality instead of the cascading, negative emotions which were keeping me stuck - and helped me regain my perspective - and hope.

I'm a Christian and for me, the very best counselor is the Holy Spirit, the Comforter - and I find a lot of comfort and hope in the Bible. The Psalms are particularly soothing - even the rhythm of the verses is calming. For me, the Scriptures reveal the hope anyone can find in God through Jesus Christ. Jesus promised that He would never leave anyone alone or comfortless if they called on Him. I hope you can find the same comfort. I'll be praying for your health!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#17899 - 08/20/03 06:33 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Marla - welcome to the board. I feel for your agony. Many of us have been there too and take heart - there is light at the end of this horrible tunnel. First of all, time will help. Once you stabilize, it IS possible to have a normal life. It takes time to figure out your triggers and what works best for you. But you CAN have a normal life - hang in there till then.
I know that you feel depressed - many people on this board have seen a link between IBS and depression. Know that we know how you're feeling - but if youre REALLY feeling bad you should talk to your Doc. There may be other issues other than just the IBS. Even if there isn't, he should know the seriousness of your situation.
About that - have you seen your Doc and got a proper diagnosis? That is critical - you must outrule other things like crohn's, colitis, uterine problems, ... etc.

Peppermint tea is wonderful for pain and helps relax the muscles in the colon - drink gallons of it.
Also, for nausea, ginger tea is great. Drink gallons.

These teas can often work better than prescription drugs. Let us know how you are doing so we can help you more.
Look up old posts for other helpful hints.
Hang in there and take care. You are NOT alone. Keep in touch.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#17900 - 08/20/03 06:41 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Marla - just a few more suggesgtions. Lactaid milk is still a trigger. Even though the lactose is missing, there are other ingredients in milk that are bad for IBS.
You're right on the money saying that fat is the worst trigger. Avoid fat at all costs (hey - it's a great way to eat anyway). It is definitely the worst trigger.
As a helpful reminder, here is a link to the list of trigger foods to avoid: web page web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#17902 - 08/20/03 07:15 PM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

I am fairly new to IBS, I am IBS-D like you. My suggestion is that you need to cut out all fats and dairy. Don't give yourself a chance to say your dinner tonight might have been to fatty. See how that goes. I also found out that when I ate something that is "riskey" I would get so nervous that I would get sick, that I actually would get sick. Look into relaxiation techniques to help you.

It is really amazing to me how small ammounts of no-no food can bring incrediable pain and D to me. Cutting out fats dairy has helped me so much. I used to eat a cup of fat free yogurt at lunch and that would give me the worst stomach cramps. At the time, I didn't realize it was the yogurt. Also, water, water, water....

Like others have said, make sure you have had all the necessary tests to rule out other problems.

Good luck!

#17979 - 08/21/03 09:52 AM
Fia

Reged: 07/21/03
Loc: Sweden

I eat 50 mg Zoloft each day, it makes me feel less tired and I have less pain. I had almost constant pain in my gut for about 3 months when I began to take Zoloft after a week it was almost gone. Not even during attacks did I get the agonizing cramps I used to get. There are some side effects, I must take the pill in the morning or I get sleeping problems. In the beginning I was really warm and my mouth was dry but this went away in a week or two.

Are you following the diet? In the beginning I only ate oatmeal, French bread, bananas, rice cakes, risotto(just fry some diced carrots and maybe finely chopped some shallot, 1/2-1 tsp salt add 2 cups avorio rice and some water with green stock (6 cup in total) do not add all at once. Simmer without a lid for 35 minutes, stir and add water when it begins to look like rice pudding.)I can't drink peppermint tea but I drink a lot of chamomile tea. And I eat a supplement called ViSiblin (like Metamucil etc.) made of Testa ispaghula, made of the plant Plantago-ovata's seeds.

I know it's hard to talk about but tell your friends and family. I have started to be open about my problem cause the nervousness that came from hiding my illness made me feel worse. Every time I had an attack I tried to hide it from my partner cause I was embarrassed, that made my gut cramping even more. Now, instead of pretending to brush my teeth or take a shower I just say "please mind the baby I'm going to read Garfield in the bathroom". And my mother really tries to cook IBS safe food when I visit.

Good luck and remember that we are here for you!

Fia

#17985 - 08/21/03 10:12 AM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Marla,
I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I suggest visiting your doctor, and seeing if there are some tests you can take to rule anything else out.
Have you tried drinking strong peppermint tea? That is good for pain.
Maybe one of the powder soluble fiber supps would work better for you. Drink lots of water too.
Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.
Cloudygirl

#17991 - 08/21/03 10:44 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

You know.. I was just thinking today that my cramps weren't that bad on my vacation and on weekends in the morning, and realized it was because I don't drink my peppermint tea then. So I drank my cup of peppermint tea this morning and sure enough, mild cramps. I think I'm going to experiment with this more and see if the peppermint tea is the culprate. Glad to know it's not just me!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#17998 - 08/21/03 11:27 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03

Marla--I've been going through this too. Please see a doctor and rule out any other possible problems. This is very important! Good luck!

#18095 - 08/21/03 09:10 PM
marla

Thanks for all the great advice you have all given me. I've been to several GI docs and had several scopes. They found some unusual things, some eosinophils and some lymphocytes. However, no colitis or crohn's was diagnosed. From this, my docs ( I even went to John's Hopkins) have decided that what set me off was an unusually bad case of food poisoning which caused the odd findings in my biopsy. They had to put me on prednisone which took away much of the pain because I was inflamed at first. Now, the lymphocytes are gone and they say it left me with severe IBS that I;m just having a heck of a time dealing with. The D is the least of my problems, for me it's just pain,pain,pain. I think I need to follow the diet, pray, and learn to accept this better. I;m pretty much afraid to eat though because not eating feels so much better, but because my weight has dropped so far so fast, I know I can't do that forever. Your stories inspire me and someday I hope to be on the other side, helping others. Until then, thank you all. Marla

Re: constant pain and depression, need help fia zoloft quest new
      #18098 - 08/21/03 09:31 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

fia

do you have ibs c or d..or both? i have ibs d and thinking about asking my doc about zoloft since it also helps with social anxiety and many of my attacks happen as a result of social anxiety fearing i'll have an attack. i know many take tranquilizers for this, but i'm thinking zoloft might not be a bad idea.

thanks
amy

#18099 - 08/21/03 09:49 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

marla

i've read everyone's posts and want to add my 2 cents in. you are definitely NOT ALONE, though i do understand that feeling. Please know that we are all one post on the bb away and here to support you.

i have had many days exactly how you described your current ones. the pain was much worse than the d itself and recently i have started throwing up constantly. i'm a full time graduate student which does add a lot of stress but it's nothing compared to the thought of having a full time job, as managing ibs is a full time gig unto itself. somedays it's hard to wake up t hinking "another day of this, why is this life worth living???" the summers are always bad for me as it's hot and humid in texas which makes things a million times worse.

but i do try to find a silver lining in everything. i have a niece and nephew that i adore and my mom is my best friend and just one door away. she's there for constant support and she has a very mild case of ibs, so she can relate. i also haev other family members with it, though they don't take it seriously despite the fact i've talked to them a million times on making it better. i'm the proactive person. i figure if ibs is going to make life a challenge i'm going at it fighting. afterall, this is my life! i think graduate school is somewhat theraputic. of my body is screwed up (i have other problems than just ibs) at least i can have a healthy mind that i will fill with as much education as i can take. most days i try to think of myself as a mind rather than a body. i know it sounds weird, but the escape my mind gives me from ibs is what works. try reading a book and wrapping yourself in it. it will take your mind off things.

i also take many medications such as lotronex (miracle for ibs d), nexium, zofran, and my gi has just put me on elavil to help with nausea and stress. i have also taken reglan, carafate, phenergan, every antispamodic (which never helped me) and many other meds to help control the pain such as vicodin. please go to your dr and look into meds to help with the pain they do help and codiene does cause constipation so it should help with the d.

i'm going to shut my trap and try to sleep now. just remember we are all here for you, and if you need us please say something. you do not have to suffer in silence. i've been on the boards for a while and can vouch that the people here are wonderful, nonjudgemental, and ready to offer advice or just listen.

take care and please update us!

amy

Re: I agree.. new
      #18114 - 08/22/03 12:49 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

.. with pretty much everything that has been said here and I'm not sure if I can add much more but thought it might help you to learn that I have been where you are too and whilst I thought things would never get better they have. I'm not saying I'm 100% - I don't think I ever will be but I certainly feel like living again.

I think what has helped me the most is probably the SF supps, IBS diet, exercise, yoga and stress management, Hypno tapes. Also, I initally went on an anti-depressant and I think that really helped because it put me in a frame of mind to help myself. If you decide to do this make sure the doctor gives you one which is helpful to your kind of IBS.

As I said I still have days which are full of pain but they are much less frequent and when they occur I'm much better at dealing with them. Please don't give up on things improving. Sometimes it takes a while.

with you,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: constant pain and depression, need help fia zoloft quest new
      #18123 - 08/22/03 05:48 AM
BL

Be careful. I took Zoloft several years ago and it gave me diarrhea the first week or two. Also, my sister tried it recently and had to stop it because it gave her terrible diarrhea. Certain anti-depressants help with diarrhea, others are best for constipation. Be sure to discuss this with your doctor so you don't make your D worse.

#18124 - 08/22/03 05:52 AM
BL

Marla,
Have you talked to your doctor about trying a low dose of an antidepressant? They have helped many with the pain of IBS. I would take a low dose of one in a minute if I could! (I have bipolar disorder and am unable to take an antidepressant.)

#18144 - 08/22/03 09:15 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03

Wow! You have really been through a lot! No wonder you are in pain and feeling depressed. It's so hard to get on with life when all this stuff is going on. I have gone through a lot of grieving because of health challenges that seem neverending at times.

I have found that I was isolating myself in many ways. I was embarrassed about my health issues, and so even when I was around people, I would never tell them what was going on with me. And, because this was hard, I would isolate myself even more. I am trying to make sure that I spend time with family and friends, despite how I feel, and I'm trying to talk more (without being self-absorbed and annoying about it) with others about my challenges--they are a lot more understanding than I thought they would be. In fact, I started finding lots of other people with similar issues.

Try to look for the joy in the moment. Even on a day when I feel lousy, there can be moments of pleasure--joking with my husband or even just drinking a good cup of tea!

Best wishes to you and hope you feel better soon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2121 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5389

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review